Great Rams Midfielders

Brammie Steve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I post on average 3 maybe 4 times a year and I had to sign in to respond to this one!

As Borneo Ram highlights... your first 3 all played center half at Derby.... and you have missed so many names off the list it is ridiculous!

There must be 15 names before you could even consider adding Will Hughes. He had a great game on Saturday, but he is not a Great Rams Midfielder yet by any stretch of the imagination!!!

Sorry, it must be the cold, but this thread upsets me.

Football doesn't work that way. I remember Francis Jeffers being the next big thing, or Lee Sharpe being the next George Best!. More recently Paris Simmons was going to set the world alight, and Giles Barnes was meant to be playing for England by now.

I want Hughesy to do well as much as the next man but there is a long way to go!

I hope in 5 years we can all have a realistic conversation about who you would rather have, Will Hughes or Archie Gemmill - or Alan Durban or Biaino (for the younger ones.... me included!).

Poor list SnB. You missed out, in no particular order -

Ace Asanovic

Robbie Van Der Lann

Gerrient Williams

Bruce Rioch

The Tin Man

Idiakez

They're the great ones. Some merely very good ones are -

Tom Huddlestone

Seth Johnson

Ian Taylor

Wil Hughes

Dave Jones

I'll give you Idiakez, but I never saw the rest of those play.

I'll give you Idiakez, but I never saw the rest of those play.

I've only ever seen highlights of Rioch but I've seen enough highlights and heard enough stories to know he was an excellent footballer. You never saw Asanovic play??? The youth of today are dealt a very poor hand indeed 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Asanovich was awsome, one of the best players I have seen in my time as a Derby fan. as I am a young 27...

Robbie Van Der Lann was physical and more mobile than Huddestone.

Will Hughes is nothing compared to Asanovich at the moment, passing or skipping past players but he isthe best we hae ad for the last 5 years.

Of those I've seen play in no particular order:-

Greats:

Gerraint Williams- vastly underrated by many, I think he was what made Aurthers team as good as it was.

Robbie Van Der Laan- great leader, great player, and the palace header cements his position as a great.

Eranio- best player I have seen play in a Derby shirt, at any position, and that says a lot.

very goods:

Idiakez- best player of the later era.

Kinkladze- too inconsistent to be a great.

Seth lad- we all loved his energy and ability to put any player on his arse:-)

Tin Man- on his day was unplayable.

Asanovic- again, on his day was great, too many off days for me.

Asanovich was awsome, one of the best players I have seen in my time as a Derby fan. as I am a young 27...

Robbie Van Der Lann was physical and more mobile than Huddestone.

Will Hughes is nothing compared to Asanovich at the moment, passing or skipping past players but he isthe best we hae ad for the last 5 years.

That's really nice, thanks mate

Daryl Powell?

We've not had many good midfielders over the years if him and Seth Johnson make it into a list of greats.

I also thought of Bianno as a striker not a midfielder, tin man as well. If you include those two then Alan Hinton should be top of that little list. Also a mention for Nigel Callaghan in the winger category.

Nobody mentioned Gary Micklewhite yet, I'd class him as a midfielder more than a winger.

John Gregory - great midfielder, ***** manager.

Archived