This year v last year

PistoldPete

Now on 20 points ; we were on 24 this time last year but had just started a run of 5 succesive defeats which was to ruin our brilliant start.

Also comparing comparable games to last season, we have beaten Watford at home (last season lost) and ipswich away (last season lost), drawn at Boro and at home to Brighton , both also lost last year. We so far havent lost any points this year that we didnt lose in the comparable games last year.

So head to head we are 8 points up on last year. Maybe need to do more than that cos sadly we wont be playing Donny Portsmouth or Coventry this year. We got 15 points from them in 2011/12 , but only 4 from the 3 games so far against promoted teams.

Even so looks like we could do better than last year when we finished with 64 points which was 11 points away from the plays offs.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now on 20 points ; we were on 24 this time last year but had just started a run of 5 succesive defeats which was to ruin our brilliant start.

Also comparing comparable games to last season, we have beaten Watford at home (last season lost) and ipswich away (last season lost), drawn at Boro and at home to Brighton , both also lost last year. We so far havent lost any points this year that we didnt lose in the comparable games last year.

So head to head we are 8 points up on last year. Maybe need to do more than that cos sadly we wont be playing Donny Portsmouth or Coventry this year. We got 15 points from them in 2011/12 , but only 4 from the 3 games so far against promoted teams.

Even so looks like we could do better than last year when we finished with 64 points which was 11 points away from the plays offs.

Quick fix for you here:

You compare our 4 points from 3 against promoted teams to our 15 in 6 against relegated sides. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure we only got 2 points from our 6 games against newly promoted sides last season. This suggesting we've already doubled that.

It's the nicking of late goals that's pleasing me, not too long ago I'd be thinking "well that's it then" towards the closing stages of a game we were losing whereas now I wonder "might we" ?

I think we're making progress.

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey as they say.

Quick fix for you here:

You compare our 4 points from 3 against promoted teams to our 15 in 6 against relegated sides. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure we only got 2 points from our 6 games against newly promoted sides last season. This suggesting we've already doubled that.

Hmm... all Ive done is compare games head to head with last year. So Soton wont appear cos they were promoted. Brighton and Peterboro I compared so weve done better against those teams.

But you cant ignore the fact that the Championship as a whole has improved through Donny Coventry and Portsmouth being relegated , and Huddersfield Charlton and Wendies getting promoted.

Also dont know how we will fare agaisnt the teams who swapped places in the Premier , after all we beat West Ham, and drew with soton and Reading. So far weve drawn against Wolves and Blackburn and lost to Bolton so we need to win one of the return legs I think to match last year.

Although head to head we are better then last season, I think the championship is stronger this time round, and many teams have improved drastically. I wouldn't say there's a 'cert' to go down, when last season, you would of guessed Doncaster.

I think we'll finish on similar points as last season, maybe 2 or 3 more, but I think to get that push to the play offs you need a 20 goal a season man, and I don't think we have that at the moment.

Although with the rate Theo's going at, he'll have 20 by January!

We're better than last season - no doubt. I agree with emjlc02 mind, if we were to lose Keogh, Bryson or Sammon for any length of time, I think we might struggle. The energy and dependency on them 3 in the middle of the pitch is key to our side. I think our strength in depth can be a little bit of a problem, but we never know how good the young-uns are until they're given the chance.

Freeman yesterday for example surprised me, I thought he looked very sharp - somethings in his play just made me notice him, for instance the ball in behind the defence, he curled it away from the defender and tried to give Bray a better chance of setting through, many players who're destined to play at this level forever would of just gone straight for the straight ball forward, just thought it was clever.

I think we should just take each game at a time, playing the correct way and hopefully, we will eventually reep the rewards!

We're better than last season - no doubt. I agree with emjlc02 mind, if we were to lose Keogh, Bryson or Sammon for any length of time, I think we might struggle. The energy and dependency on them 3 in the middle of the pitch is key to our side. I think our strength in depth can be a little bit of a problem, but we never know how good the young-uns are until they're given the chance.

Freeman yesterday for example surprised me, I thought he looked very sharp - somethings in his play just made me notice him, for instance the ball in behind the defence, he curled it away from the defender and tried to give Bray a better chance of setting through, many players who're destined to play at this level forever would of just gone straight for the straight ball forward, just thought it was clever.

I think we should just take each game at a time, playing the correct way and hopefully, we will eventually reep the rewards!

Agreed. There aren't many teams in this Division who could afford to lose their best players for any length of time. We've been "unlucky" with injuries in the last few seasons. Perhaps we'll get better luck this season. Overall, it looks as though we're turning the corner. It's great to see opinions about whether Robinson and Sammon are good enough to get in our team. They'd have walked into it two or three years ago. Even scoring goals isn't good enough for some now, they have to be good footballers too!. Clough's signing of Keogh looks better and better as the season progresses, Hughes looks a bit special, Bryson has the engine we've needed and there's a few coming through. What's not to like? ....apart from Clough of course 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Its the injuries that will do for us if we're unlucky again. Last seasons 64 points was without our two goalscorers for half the season Savies and Theo both had long absences, could we have expected another 8 points with them both fit...probably, that would have put us 3 points off the play offs!

I don't believe we will make the play offs this season even if every one stays fully fit. Too many youngsters and new players to gel, but if we don't have our usual 5 defeats on the trot run, then we may go close.

If we can avoid the major injuries which has happened far too often in previous seasons, and we can keep playing with the flair and positivity then who knows what can happen this season, although not getting to excited about what could happen there is always one club who is not expected to be in the play offs in which why can't it be us? There's no doubting when the team plays together like they did against blackpool then we are a real threat, i feel the performances of hughes this season have been exceptional considering the age and lack of experience and i think clough has realised that by getting him signed up with a new contract. Bryson is quite possibly one of the most under-rated players in the championship IMO the energy and determination he puts in every performance he must sleep well on a saturday night! Play offs.. possibly Top 10... Definitely.

Archived