Holiday Plans 2017

Wolfie

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

Northern Greek island of Thassos for 2 weeks in August. Never been before but looks a handy base for exploring Eastern Macedonia and Thrace.

We stayed in Thassos town about 10 years ago. Enjoyed it, just got on the bus and explored. 

Really liked Thassos town with its tiny streets and tucked away restaurants.

Not sure if you still have to fly in to the mainland and get the ferry across?

I am sure you will enjoy.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

We stayed in Thassos town about 10 years ago. Enjoyed it, just got on the bus and explored. 

Really liked Thassos town with its tiny streets and tucked away restaurants.

Not sure if you still have to fly in to the mainland and get the ferry across?

I am sure you will enjoy.

We too are staying in Thassos town.

We fly into Kavala airport, catch the coach to Keramoti and from there get the ferry into Thassos town.

Did you venture off the island during your explorations? We were thinking of booking a hotel in Kavala for a couple of nights, catching the ferry there from Thassos and possibly visiting Philippi.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Ewetube said:

We too are staying in Thassos town.

We fly into Kavala airport, catch the coach to Keramoti and from there get the ferry into Thassos town.

Did you venture off the island during your explorations? We were thinking of booking a hotel in Kavala for a couple of nights, catching the ferry there from Thassos and possibly visiting Philippi.

No we didnt, just explored Thassos, a bit of a lazy holiday really.

Sith Happens
7 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Just had a week in a cottage in Yorkshire,two weeks in Turkey in July and the lakes in December..  

We are doing turkey again, but an awful lot of people won't. Tourism is struggling over there, we have friends and family who can't believe we go.

10 hours ago, Paul71 said:

We are doing turkey again, but an awful lot of people won't. Tourism is struggling over there, we have friends and family who can't believe we go.

Well,we weighed it up and decided it's probably more dangerous in London or Paris and I'm not having Johnny jihad dictating to me where we go on holiday...

And we are getting an unbelievable deal on a fantastic hotel and facilities...No doubt because of the above.

18 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

just booked a week, taking my mum to Stalis, Crete in 3 months. She works hard but earns f all. So hasn't had a holiday in far too long. I will just leave her by the pool, hoping some rich old dude takes a shine to her.

Heard a Greek millionaire likes Nottingham......

On 24/03/2017 at 17:20, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Well,we weighed it up and decided it's probably more dangerous in London or Paris and I'm not having Johnny jihad dictating to me where we go on holiday...

And we are getting an unbelievable deal on a fantastic hotel and facilities...No doubt because of the above.

Not even that for me. Turkey is like whether I'd buy caged chicken eggs or free range at the supermarket! Wouldn't want to put even a fiver in the pot for that regime and its filth. A starved tourist industry can put a lot of pressure on Erdogan. Wish more would stay away.

For me, I can't see me getting away this year, even a day off work at the moment practically has me breaking out in shingles for what I'd be walking back into. Not happy at all but it is what it is.

Norfolk to walk the dog on the beach, Wednesday and Thursday and Friday .. Being dropped off at Pride park just in time for kickoff  :thumbsup:

Menorca in May for a week exploring, never been but heard beaches are amazing 

then something sept / oct but undecided 

1 hour ago, SillyBilly said:

Not even that for me. Turkey is like whether I'd buy caged chicken eggs or free range at the supermarket! Wouldn't want to put even a fiver in the pot for that regime and its filth. A starved tourist industry can put a lot of pressure on Erdogan. Wish more would stay away.

For me, I can't see me getting away this year, even a day off work at the moment practically has me breaking out in shingles for what I'd be walking back into. Not happy at all but it is what it is.

Atatürk is turning in his grave. Tragic what is happening there 

Sith Happens
5 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

I prefer to look at it that its still a wonderful country full of wonderful people. They are the ones losing their businesses and livelihoods by the lack of tourists sadly.

That said I am not an expert in world politics but I dont think many people will be making a decision based on the rule of Erdogan, i would imagine more are just concerned of turkeys proximity to places like syria and iraq, and the attacks that have occured on turkish soil.

Im currently in Bali. Had 3 nights in Sanur and now on second night on Nusa Lembongon. Off to Ubud for 4 nights in the morning.

Top place. Love it. The people are the nicest and happiest i have ever met. 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Prague - end of May

Crete - end of June

Rhodes - end of July

:rofl:

Sounds great!

If you haven't seen Kutna Hora's bone church, I strongly recommend it. Been there three times already, it's simply unforgettable. Daytrip from Prague.

Archived