George Thorne: as important as Igor?

Ninos

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Butterfield, Hendrick and Ince are all also premiership quality, or potentially so. We haven't seen the best of Butterfield yet. Shoot me down if you like, but I think he is a similar player to Hughes, with similar ability 

Interestingly I think out of those three it's Ince who seems the furthest from Prem quality at the moment. Close, but needs to pull his finger out I feel.

I said on the Cardiff thread I can sympathise with some of his angry moments as he was subject to a few late passes when he made good runs, but he really needs to do more when he gets into good situations, his decision making is often very selfish.

In my opinion, most of our spine is prem quality or close to it. Carson, Keogh, Shackell, Thorne, any 2 of our better 3/4 CMs and Martin - although Martin also needs to show a little more consistency.

If GT continues to improve he will one maybe an England midfielder, he still has 5 years before he peaks.......

Is he as important as Igor?

No, not yet  as Igor commanded the team - he was a leader, GT is still young and learning, if he continues then yes he will be as important as Igor was to us.

GT is certainly he of the best midfielders in the championship, he is also good enough currently to play in the prem [probably the lower sides] - as GT matures I have no doubt that he will one day in the near future he will command a high flying prem shirt in Derby colours!

6 hours ago, Duracell said:

'miles better'.

I would say miles better is a huge distance.

As in Will Hughes is miles better than Paul Thirlwell.

I know you said when we signed Thorne that he'd only played 12 games for us and that he might not be as special as some made out, but you don't need to use hyperbole to prove yourself correct.

I get that you'd really like Thorne to be an average player, but the evidence is stacked against you so far.

No one would agree that Will Hughes is 'miles better'.

I wouldn't say Hughes was miles better than Paul Thirwell I would say he was on a completely different planet to him.

I think that Thorne is better than an average championship player, but for some to say he is the best midfielder in this league is ridiculous, as i said, he isn't even the best midfielder in our squad.

IF and it is a decent sized IF we get into the Premiershite then there is a VERY good chance that Thorne will get an England cap, just on the law of averages, there are now more English players in the Premiershite who have been capped for England than haven't so he will get a chance, but will he be good enough.....i doubt it, unless he gets some pace from somewhere.

11 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I wouldn't say Hughes was miles better than Paul Thirwell I would say he was on a completely different planet to him.

I think that Thorne is better than an average championship player, but for some to say he is the best midfielder in this league is ridiculous, as i said, he isn't even the best midfielder in our squad.

IF and it is a decent sized IF we get into the Premiershite then there is a VERY good chance that Thorne will get an England cap, just on the law of averages, there are now more English players in the Premiershite who have been capped for England than haven't so he will get a chance, but will he be good enough.....i doubt it, unless he gets some pace from somewhere.

Agree with everything you said bar the last snippet, I think the players currently playing that role in the PL and some of those that have represented England in that position over the past decade prove that pace is the last thing you need in CDM. Michael Carrick and Gareth Barry have 90 odd international caps between them but both combined are still as slow as GT. Being able to move is a bonus but the bottom line for this position is the ability to move the ball accurately and quickly.

At the start of the season he looked very sluggish and had a few extra pounds on him admittedly, which is probably understandable after the time out he's had but now he's got games under his belt and is match fit he's looking in good shape. No surprise he's coming to the fore a bit more now the season is ongoing and 90 minutes are racking up under his belt.

What I will say for Thorne is that there's very few Championship players I've seen churn out consistent performances like he seems to do. He's a good fit here and the system we play gets the most out of him.

8 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I said he has the potential. There are two players in our squad who currently have the potential to make it to the highest level, Thorne and Hughes. The likelihood is that neither will, but there's a chance. No one else will. Maybe Christie has a remote chance.

Hendrick will be playing in the Prem this time next year, as will Keogh.

7 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Hendrick will be playing in the Prem this time next year, as will Keogh.

and carson, and shackell, and warnock, and thorne, and hughes, and johnson, and butterfield, and bryson, and russell, and ince, and martin, and christie......

Agree with most of these thoughts.  Apart from the skills, which are self evident, he's already carved out the start of a great Rams story.  Came here on loan, fought for his chance to shine, waited his turn and didn't come over all 'big time' just coz he was from a Prem club, grabbed his chance when it came, and played his heart out for the shirt right from the off.  I'm sure he appreciates all the effort DCFC put in to get him and also our loyalty and faith during his layoff through injury.  You can see it in his eyes - he loves the club and fans, hates to lose, and as has already been said on here he's always looking after team mates, geeing people up etc, a real presence and leader on the pitch.

Does he get everything right all the time?  No.  Does he sometimes have below par patches?  Yes.  BUT, he's in his early career, chose to drop a league to play for us, is fantastic to watch, and creates real excitement and a buzz.  It's not just about the stats, even though those are amazing, it's about how he goes about doing things.  He has the stuff of which Rams greats are made, and (I believe) the character and guts to become one in future.  I feel lucky to be watching the Rams at a time like this when we can turn up and watch such a class act emerge from the tunnel in our beloved black and white.  If Steve Bloomer really is watching then I reckon he'll be smiling.

It's only Wednesday but am anticipating Friday night like a kid before Christmas.  If we win we go top.  Happy days!!!

1 hour ago, LondonRam2 said:

Agree with most of these thoughts.  Apart from the skills, which are self evident, he's already carved out the start of a great Rams story.  Came here on loan, fought for his chance to shine, waited his turn and didn't come over all 'big time' just coz he was from a Prem club, grabbed his chance when it came, and played his heart out for the shirt right from the off.  I'm sure he appreciates all the effort DCFC put in to get him and also our loyalty and faith during his layoff through injury.  You can see it in his eyes - he loves the club and fans, hates to lose, and as has already been said on here he's always looking after team mates, geeing people up etc, a real presence and leader on the pitch.

Does he get everything right all the time?  No.  Does he sometimes have below par patches?  Yes.  BUT, he's in his early career, chose to drop a league to play for us, is fantastic to watch, and creates real excitement and a buzz.  It's not just about the stats, even though those are amazing, it's about how he goes about doing things.  He has the stuff of which Rams greats are made, and (I believe) the character and guts to become one in future.  I feel lucky to be watching the Rams at a time like this when we can turn up and watch such a class act emerge from the tunnel in our beloved black and white.  If Steve Bloomer really is watching then I reckon he'll be smiling.

It's only Wednesday but am anticipating Friday night like a kid before Christmas.  If we win we go top.  Happy days!!!

Happy clapper!

Just to add to the above argument, GT should be good enough to play for England soon, but as all they seem to be interested in is players who run fast, then I doubt he will ever get near.

which is more an indictment on the idiots in charge of the national team than on his ability.

*see also Hughes. W

3 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

Decent first post that.

Welcome to the forum

It's all about opinions, but for me if George can stay fit ,get in the premiership , with Us , Who knows how far he can go, and for me George is the best all round midfielder, in the championship , is he as good as stimac yet ,no, can he be as good , at 22 years old,he has plenty of years to become a great player and leader of this club, he has the talent,no doubt about that,he just needs to stay fit and lead us to the premiership , then we will see how far he can go , could he play for England one day , if huddlestone can then George Thorne can , no probs.

46 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

George Thorne will never pay for England unless he learns to run about aimlessly, constantly pass the ball to the opposition and be out of position when  they are on the attack.

He still has plenty of time to learn...and with the coaching staff we have I'm sure he will get every chance.

:ph34r:

I think tomorrow night will give us a good indicator of how effective young George can be in the prem if/when we go up.  Livermoore & Huddlestone aren't world beaters, but they've both proven to be decent premier league midfielders and successfully bossing the pair of them would prove he can handle that quality...

Archived