Dave mackay statue

Belper Ram 1988

These things are so so important.

Football is ( on the surface ) a business and with homogenised stadiums, plastic beer TV money, and "match day experience" being the the things that "franchise owners" so seem to loveWe need to remind all of them who we are, what made us. These are the things that sustain A club in the hearts of a community. That it is done well only adds to this. The Clough and Taylor statue is a land mark for Derby fans as is Dixie Dean at Everton or that wonderful wizard of the dribble statue at Stoke. When the next generations are shown these memorials it lifts them above the commercial BS .. Which is just necessary business It transports them to being FANS who have love and passion. This sustains a club way beyond a successful "business model" 

romantic rant over .. God for Harry, England and St George etc etc .. Now let's just stuff PNE 

ps .. On holiday, full of ouzo 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first thoughts on the statue were immediately Han Solo trapped in carbonite - so good call Stringerbell!

Then you watch footage of him (I was too young to have seen him play) and you think that if he was playing today he'd look a right fat git compared to all the others

Well - maybe with the exception of Andy Reid :)

Mackay was seriously well-built - not that tall, but hefty....first time I've seen him referred to as a 'fat git', no doubt unintentionally disrespectful in my view :ermm:

He was well into his 30s of course when joining Derby - dietary science and so on was rather more primitive!

The power and force of his physique and personality were, though, truly formidable - he stood out like a concrete beacon when breaking up attacks and pushing the team forwards. Bang! People knew when Mackay had tackled them!

Having the silky skills of McFarland next to him, and buzzing energy of Carlin, then Gemmill, plus Hector and t'others produced a superbly balanced team, matches were thrilling in them days.

In times past, and others too can hark back to this memory, an iconic moment in the propulsion of the Clough & Taylor team toward great things was that 3-1 League Cup crushing of Chelsea in 1968. What an atmosphere, what a performance.

An incredible second-half unfolded, with Mackay slamming in an Exocet free-kick as Derby roared back to dump the aristocrats out of the competition.

Dave underlined that success with victory over Everton (Ball, Harvey, Kendall et al) in the next round @ BBG, after taking a 0-0 from Goodison Park. (Yes...then his own goal eliminated us in the next round at giant-killing Swindon!)

A football immortal, in any company - and one of ours.

Mackay was seriously well-built - not that tall, but hefty....first time I've seen him referred to as a 'fat git', no doubt unintentionally disrespectful in my view :ermm:

I wasn't being disrespectful - I didn't say that HE was a "fat git"... I said that anyone in the modern game with that physique would be called one :) whereas back then it wasn't out of the ordinary. It wasn't meant as anything other than an observation on the modern game (and a joke at Andy Reid's expense)

I know last night was about DM but I am always struck by how much Charlie George seems to maintain and reinforce his link with us.

He is first and foremost an Arsenal fan - stepped off the North Bank to play, so legend has it - and still does match day hospitality there apparently, but he does seem to enjoy coming back to Derby and obviously makes a real effort to do so when it's probably easier for him not to. I like that.

Still the best all round footballer I have ever seen play for us

Archived