Biggest threat this season

An injury to Chris Martin is our biggest threat

He is irreplaceable in the squad, but getting proper cover for him is nigh on impossible - anyone good enough to fill his boots won't want to be warming our bench all season. We can't get a PL kid as their clubs won't allow them to come with little chance of game time. We could bring in somebody who is better than Martin, but I'm not sure that we're in a position to quadruple our record ever transfer fee at present. The only option is an out of favour lump - like Leon Best, and we all know how that works!

Chris Martin could be hit by a SAM and get off the ground looking mildly annoyed. ( tempts fate)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Martin could be hit by a SAM and get off the ground looking mildly annoyed. ( tempts fate)

Does Chris Martin ever look anything other than mildly annoyed?

He is the most entertaining Derby player since Wanchope. His footballing skills are superb, but he amuses me just as much with his constant moaning. He chunters to the officials, the opposition players, his team mates, the coaching staff, the ball boys, the crowd and even sometimes to the pitch. I know he's from Norwich with Scottish ancestry, but with whinging like that he must have some roots in Codnor as well.

Does Chris Martin ever look anything other than mildly annoyed?

He is the most entertaining Derby player since Wanchope. His footballing skills are superb, but he amuses me just as much with his constant moaning. He chunters to the officials, the opposition players, his team mates, the coaching staff, the ball boys, the crowd and even sometimes to the pitch. I know he's from Norwich with Scottish ancestry, but with whinging like that he must have some roots in Codnor as well.

I love it me. In my opinion, every successful sports team needs a collection of b*stards - folk who don't mind bending the rules, who walk that tightrope but most importantly, can be counted on when the going gets tough i.e. defending a 2-1 away win at Blackburn with 10 minutes to go when they've just scored.

Martin is an obvious one, Ward is definitely another. Russell has a streak in him & Buxton too if needed. Thorne's effortless arrogance is another - I really rate his attitude. Still remember him putting us one up at Donny in April from long range & barely acknowledging it. Too cool for school.

Every time Martin goes to the ground for more than ten seconds I sausage myself.

Needing proper cover, but can't see anyone being happy to play second fiddle. Gary Hooper was my first initial suggestion prior to Bests arrival...

Hooper is more of a poacher and less of a hold-up player...

I agree with most of the above. But I think our biggest threat is our run in to Christmas.

Between now and Jan we're playing most of the teams in the potential top 6 and the leaders of the premier league.

That's gonna take it out of us.

If we're still in the top 3 or 4 by Christmas and have no major injury scares then I'll thing we'll have a strong run in for the rest of the season.

Agree with others, if Martin got injured that would be our biggest threat to promotion.  Truth be told I think this league is weaker than last season.  I also think we are better.  We can only beat ourselves or if we're unlucky accrue injuries to key players that would hamper us. 

And FEAR stands for,

False Expectations Appearing Real.

Nothing to be afraid of here. :)

Fantastic expections, amazing revelations

Free expression, as revolution

Finding everything and realising,

We are the DCFC, FC, DCFC, FC!

Sorry, couldn't resist a bit of Ian Brown!

The team that has the most goals other than us must be a threat. Watford most likely culprits. I think that all the teams up there have a chance but it will be decided by injuries to key players, squad sizes and signings at Xmas; a lot of variables. I think that the top six will be SuperRams, Watford, Middlesbrough, Norwich and Cardiff. However there is no room for slip ups for the Rams against best opposition. Rams v Wigan is now the manual on how to beat us. Rams v Fulham is now the training video on how not to lose concentration against us and for opposing defenders suffering from constipation. COYR

Archived