Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When he says "Deal could be finalised today"

Is that Johnny Russell SIGNING for us, or just a bid being accepted?

As he's gone on holiday, I'd be surprised if he hadn't agreed terms before going and it's just been about the fee.

RD saying bid not accepted yet, but possibly will be today at 750k.

First two bids turned down I think they said.

super-alby-rams

Dundee United agree fee with Derby County for sale of Johnny Russell

STV 4 June 2013 08:51 BST

"http://nfs.stvfiles.com/imagebase/158/623x349/158799-dundee-united-striker-johnny-russell-celebrates-his-second-goal-in-the-dundee-derby-in-august-2012" alt="158799-dundee-united-striker-johnny-russ">

Derby County have agreed a fee with Dundee United for the potential transfer of Johnny Russell.

The English Championship club, who have previously had bids rejected this window, are understood to have been successful with an offer of around £750,000.

STV understands there has been no recent contact from Celtic over their interest in Russell. Catania also failed in a bid several months ago.

Russell started out at United in 2003, making his debut for the club in May 2007 at the age of 17.

Following loan spells at Forfar Athletic and Raith Rovers he has established himself in the first team at Tannadice, scoring 46 goals in 120 appearances.

Dundee United are interested in bringing back former player David Goodwillie on loan to the club, potentially as a replacement for Russell.

super-alby-rams
Dundee United close to accepting new Derby Russell bid

Dundee United are close to accepting a third Derby County bid for Johnny Russell, BBC Scotland has learned.

A bid of around £700,000 from the Championship club for the striker was rejected by United on Saturday.

The Tannadice club had earlier turned down a bid of around £625,000 from Derby for the 23-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of next season.

Italian side Catania have also had a bid rejected for Russell, who scored 20 times in 2012-13.

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson said another Championship outfit had enquired about the player, but no bid has yet been received from the club.

The United chairman has been open about his intention to sell Russell this summer while he is still under contract.

Huddersfield Town and Sheffield United have also been unsuccessful in moves for the player, in August and January respectively.

Very decent value, unbelievable value for money! 

Let's wrap it up, probably one of the most courted strikers by championship fans - highly rated, lots of good things said.

I'm hopeful, optimistic and probably setting myself up for a fall but none-the-less it was an 'exciting striker' promised and (hopefully, not to count our chickens) an exciting striker delivered (relatively, of course)

Very decent value, unbelievable value for money! 

Let's wrap it up, probably one of the most courted strikers by championship fans - highly rated, lots of good things said.

I'm hopeful, optimistic and probably setting myself up for a fall but none-the-less it was an 'exciting striker' promised and (hopefully, not to count our chickens) an exciting striker delivered (relatively, of course)

Agree, would be a really good signing.

I kind of like the "unknown factor". Good that we've spotted the talent and taken a punt rather than chased around paying over-the-odds after the "proven goalscorers at this level"

Let's be honest – we all know that it means nothing if someone has scored goals at CCC level for another club. There is just as much chance of this guy being successful as there would be if we'd signed a big name and paid twice as much

I'd have to say that Derby County ought to be a very attractive proposition for a striker who can score goals, but has to prove himself in England. With the amount of sitters that our strikers missed last season, you would expect that anyone with a decent finish could expect 25+. And Hughes and Hendrick are both another year more experienced. 

I have a good feeling about this transfer, and next season if we get Russell, Forsyth and a decent partner for Keogh, and keep Brayford, Hughes and Hendrick...and don't try to accommodate Bryson in a silly unbalanced formation.

Yep, for me if we can get Russell and Brayford tied down, i'd be very pleased.

Still have a slight feeling Hughes may be sold and brought back on loan but I could handle that if it's in the region of 10 million, although if we're willing to wait and gamble on a fully fit season, I reckon we could make even more on his eventual sale.

Archived