Best concerts you ever saw

Cisse

No one will know who any of these guys are because they're Red Dirt country guys but here goes:

Jason Boland and the Stragglers at Cain's Ballroom(Tulsa, Oklahoma) in 2008. Jason Boland is truly special in concert, sometimes they're crap because he's way too wasted/high. But he always saves the night with a soul wretching redition on one of his more serious songs that makes people happy. When he's not to "gone", he's pretty fantastic.

Stoney LaRue @ Calf Fry 2008(Stillwater, Oklahoma)-Outdoor Stage. That man can party.

Dierks Bentley @ Calf Fry 2009-Outdoor Stage. I was a bit skeptical of a Nashville artist playing at a Red Dirt music festival since I had watched him play at a more conventional Country concert and it was "so-so" but he let it rip and earned my respect.

Casey Donahew @ Calf Fry 2009-Indoor. The man was 19 and already a star throughout Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and much of the Great Plains without any promotion. He just went on traditional route of playing at divebars and honky tonks a lot earlier than most. Which is where true Red Dirt Legends are made, with only about 20 or 40 people maybe on any given night.

Robert Earl Keene in Lubbock, Texas at some random dive bar that he wasn't even supposed to play that night. He was just there getting drunk and someone handed him a Guitar. It was fantastic. Only about 20 or so people even there that night.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Clash/Buzzcocks/The Slits at St Albans City Hall 1977, Hawkwind at the Camden Music Machine 1977, Sex Pistols at Plymouth 1977 and many others that year I cant remember. 1977 was a great year to be 19 and carefree. Also The Smiths at the Assembly rooms and all the other Smiths/Morrissey gigs I've been to in the years since then

I saw Radiohead at the hurricane festival in Scheeßel, Germany in 2008. Awesome performance, 'In Rainbows' had not long been out and they played alot of that album plus all the classics. Great visual display aswell, plus the lone German who turned up with about 5 spliffs and shared them with us added to the vibe. They were definitely the best. There was also this big black cloud looming towards us only for it to seperate and show a lovely blue sky behind it.

Saw Metallica at Reading in I think 2002 or 3, System of a Down were on before them so that was also cool.

Animal Collective in Manchester 2008 was good. Interpol in Nottingham, 2003. Saw Muse at Reading, not their biggest fan but just as they kicked off their set it started pissing it down and there was an awesome lightning bolt just behind the main stage when they started the second song so that enhanced it. Saw Iggy Pop at Benicasim in Spain, it was **** but, ya know, saw Iggy Pop.

1st concert I went to was Oasis in '05 at the City of Manchester Stadium (as it was then) on the last day of their dont believe the truth tour, was an awesome night (was great walking through singing the city 'we support our local team' and about 10 city fans joined in who were out with 1 lad who supported utd but from Buxton!!)

Went to see Reel Big Fish, brilliant Ska band, at Leeds Met university in '06 and met the band in the barge boat converted into a pub.

Also went to see RHCP at PP another fantastic performance, took the mrs and it was her 1st, and only, concert.

I forgot about Millencolin in 2002 in Manchester, jaysus christ that gig was amazing. All the support acts were spot on, we came out absolutely dead from that gig, plenty of moshing and crowd surfing. It was impossible to stand still in that gig because the crowd was just moving all over the place in a wave like motion.

Went back to the hotel after and died silently on a chair with 'The Magic Roundabout' omnibus on the telly.

After seeing thousands of gigs, its quite hard to pick only one... but at least most memorable was The Wildhearts at Ilosaarirock (maybe -98?)

Now I'm off to see RHCP. Their private gig maybe 15 years ago was one hell of show too. Played mostly Clash and Misfits 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wub:' />

Killers, Specials and Elbow - V Festival '09

Radiohead - SNottingham 2003

but the one that will always have a place in my heart, REM were scheduled to do a gig at what is now the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield, but after everyone arrived Michael Stipe and Peter Buck announced that Mike Mills had contracted a bug. Instead of leaving it there, the pair proceeded to play some songs, one of which being Losing My Religion. Just the two of them, a mandolin and an acoustic guitar. Rather special, and they rescheduled a couple of months later and did the full performance.

• 4 weeks later...

U2 - leeds 93 ( Smahsed but they where awsome!)

Oasis - main road - 96 ( John squire from the stone roses played cast no shadow ! )

U2 - Leeds 97 ( Higher than an eagles testicles but ehry where are always breath taking)

Stone roses ( Heaon park - 12 ( been waintg to see these for 17 years worht every minute! )

The Smiths at Gloucester in 1986 and then The Stone Roses at Birmingham irish center in May 1989. I hadn't heard of them until that day, but... my god! what a night. It was another year before everyone else caught up.

My favourite live band is The Men They Couldn't Hang, I mustve seen em a million, trillion times! They are playing at the Flowerpot this month - I defo reccomend it!

Archived