My Statement regarding Proposed South Stand move 2013/2014

therams69

All,

I have decided to respond to the club statement regarding the proposed move. This will be linked on twitter and facebook etc so thats the reason for the new thread.

First off I would like to thank Derby County for taking the time to respond to the recent petition that was launched online towards the end of the 2011/2012 season.

Following the announcement that Derby County will be looking into the possibility of moving home fans to the South Stand and away fans to the South East Corner I would like to make a few points.

I understand a survey will be done where fans in the South East Corner will be allowed to give their opinion on whether or not they would be prepared to move from their seat and to relocate. I also understand that fans in the East Stand will be asked whether or not they are happy for away fans to be located next to them. Once this has been completed the information will be assessed and a decision will be made once costing, logistics etc has been undertook.

Over 1500 signed the petition and its worth noting that this was only done online and not taken to matchdays.

The Pride Park atmosphere needs addressing, that is an absolute no brainer. On the forums every month or so a new thread will pop up saying about the atmosphere and what needs to be done. Well a resolve has been suggested and now it is time for fans to do something about it.

The current recognised vocal area of PPS is the South East Corner. Few problems here.

- The noise does not spread to other areas of the ground.

- A corner is not the best place to put fans that wish to be vocal as not seen

- Limited availability for fans that wish to be vocal

- Not changed in 15 years

So what would the South Stand offer?

- A 12th man behind the goal that the team should shoot towards second half

- A great visible presence. Currently the team shoot towards blocks of empty seats

- The chance for more fans interested in being vocal to move to this area

- To make the South Stand an iconic stand such as the KOP, Holte End, Stretford End etc

- For the away fans to be in the middle of home fans thus intimidating for away team

- A place where the 14/15/16 year olds will want to go when older thus ensuring they stay ST holders

In a nutshell if you are interested in football atmosphere you surely must realise that this needs addressing and I urge all fans surveyed to support this project. Additionally there are supporters that will not be surveyed in other areas of the stadium that would be interested in moving to the South Stand if we get the go ahead. I will be getting in touch with these fans in the very near future. The survey suggested that alot would be interested which is encouraging.

Long term wise I would also like to see Safe Standing introduced. The South Stand at Derby would be a great location for this to be introduced. Many laws and regulations need to be discussed before this can happen but with Scotland having trials in the next couple of years this is looking promising for the English game. Additionally I have been invited to Hannover in Germany in June for a safe standing promo video that will be presented to British politicians, press etc. I will report back on the trip but first things first we need the South Stand proposal to happen.

The costs involved in the change will be worth an extra player, that is the 12th man.

Time to make a difference Derby fans, vocal support is crucial for any club and we can make a difference.

Nick

@dcfc_flagman

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think having our fans behind both goals is a good idea, my concern would be where the away fans are going, if it is the south east corner then when you get games where there are hardly any away fans the south stand could seem isolated somewhat. The club need to get the layout correct to maximise the effect of having a singing end, otherwise it could, potentially be a waste of time and money.

Anyway I hope it works and they get it right and all your hard work isn't wasted for nothing Nick. All the best.

Personally I'm not a ST holder so I wouldn't be upset if this were to happen. The atmosphere needs addressing as the games I've been to this season have been pretty quiet bar the game against the Scum...

I think the main sticking point for the board is reduced capacity, (as Glick stated a while back) the netting draped across the seats on both sides of the away fans would reduce the max capacity by around 1000 so less revenue from ticket sales. I can imagine this would lead to an increase in match day tickets, merchandise and food to cover it. The other excuses don't wash with me especially the policing of away fans as I've seen them strolling to the south stand via both the east and west stands, if the police believe they'll be trouble simply keep the away fans in their seats after full time.

why would it?

Incentive to team, intimidating to opponents, if I was taking a penalty, i'd sooner be kicking it towards 'friendly faces'

than having w*****r signs directed towards me.. (like we could give opposition penalty takers our own brand of 'friendly'

encouragement 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ).

when you are at home, you should feel comfortable in your environment, and any form of advantage should be

siezed upon.

I understand the thinking behind all this. Just I don't believe it's going to have the desired effect that you wish. Atmospheres are built on success, excitement, flair, attractive football, etc. Look at Liverpool. I used to go to games there quite often. Wednesday night for the European games, the Kop was unbelievable. Go to Anfield this season, you can hear a pin drop. Why? Because they're doing terribly, playing dull football, and not achieving anything. It's the same at Derby. But more so, Liverpool have already got the Kop. Also the consideration of Cup games, where away fans have a bigger allocation of Tickets, i.e. Stoke. Its going to include twice as much segregation, so loss of ticket sales, and more money in stewarding. Also, my dad wouldn't be happy moving his season ticket, and even more so wouldn't be happy relocating to the end of the ground where the view is, imo, pretty crap. I just don't see it happening...

As it does not apply until 2013/14 ; why not trial it next season during a Cup match where Season Ticket holders do not necessarily have their original seats .

Just an idea.

trouble with that is apart from playing a prem team or forest you be lucky to get 10,000 for those games, also the layout of concourse isn't right

I understand the thinking behind all this. Just I don't believe it's going to have the desired effect that you wish. Atmospheres are built on success, excitement, flair, attractive football, etc. Look at Liverpool. I used to go to games there quite often. Wednesday night for the European games, the Kop was unbelievable. Go to Anfield this season, you can hear a pin drop. Why? Because they're doing terribly, playing dull football, and not achieving anything. It's the same at Derby. But more so, Liverpool have already got the Kop. Also the consideration of Cup games, where away fans have a bigger allocation of Tickets, i.e. Stoke. Its going to include twice as much segregation, so loss of ticket sales, and more money in stewarding. Also, my dad wouldn't be happy moving his season ticket, and even more so wouldn't be happy relocating to the end of the ground where the view is, imo, pretty crap. I just don't see it happening...

I agree with this..

The Forest games always create a different type of atmosphere.. If you think by moving a few fans around you can generate an atmosphere like that then it's a bit of a pipe dream really..

Man y other clubs have our style of stadium with a singing section behind the goal (Reading, Boro, Soton etc.) And do any of them create a better atmosphere? I really don't see how moving the fans around is going to improve it in anyway..

Like networker mentions, it's special occsions, those European nights, an amazing comeback or exciting football that creates an atmosphere.. Pride Park has had some brlliant atmospheres, and all of that has reflected whats happened on the pitch.. The big ones I remember outside of Forest is Man Utd, Middlesborough (comeback), Sheff Wed (comeback) and Southampton (playoffs).. All of them were special occasions..

It's a myth that atmospheres are brilliant in some places and poor in others.. Any team can create an amazing atmosphere, it just reflects the moment and whats at stake on the pitch.. I saw on the TV Inter vs Milan and the atmosphere was brilliant because of what was at stake, a few weeks later I went to Milan and got tickets to watch Inter vs Genoa, I was so excited no only to visit the San Siro but because of what I'd seen... In the end the atmosphere was non-existant because the game was flat and was just any 'other game'..

Even Old Trafford comes alive when they have the big European nights and someone like Chelsea there in a title clash game.. The rest of the games it's a library..

Be interesting to know what percentage they would want to make the switch, I am guessing if they are asking all the se corner guys if they would move they would want about 75% in favor otherwise what is the point. Might be tough to get....

I'm not against having our fans in the south stand as it could very well add to the atmosphere, but if we only get a 2000 in there it could look pretty spartan. But only time will tell on that one. I sit next to the SE corner, if,a big if, I decided not to move I would sit next to away fans. Not a major issue as I used to be behind the goal when the away fans were more towards the SE corner so I'm used to the banter. My concern is policing of a big number of abusive away fans when leaving the ground. At the moment the police can keep 4000 Forest fans away from us but under the new arrangement they may well exit the ground right next to Derby fans leaving from the East stand.

Everything has to be taken in consideration its not just a case of moving to the South stand its the logistics of it all as well

Just a quick question (not a criticism) If no one is singing in the SE corner like most matches now, why would moving to the south stand change this. Only about 20 people sing so it's not going to make much of a difference is it??

Archived