Inaugural Fans Forum

prideparkpete

Hi,

I was lucky enough to be one of the 20 fans invited to the inaugural fans forum on the 1st Monday of this month. This was in the Pride Park Boardroom with Tom Glick in the chair.

It was a priviledge to be invited and i wonder how many fans have actually applied overall. As i understand it, there is no closing date to get your name on the list and... invites are randomly made with meetings due to keep on throughout the summer months.

The first part of the meeting dealt with our personal issues regarding the club and/or any questions we have always wanted to ask etc and the final discusssion was about how we felt they could improve the match day experience.

If anyone is interested in more detail what we heard or covered, let me know.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I was lucky enough to be one of the 20 fans invited to the inaugural fans forum on the 1st Monday of this month. This was in the Pride Park Boardroom with Tom Glick in the chair.

It was a priviledge to be invited and i wonder how many fans have actually applied overall. As i understand it, there is no closing date to get your name on the list and... invites are randomly made with meetings due to keep on throughout the summer months.

The first part of the meeting dealt with our personal issues regarding the club and/or any questions we have always wanted to ask etc and the final discusssion was about how we felt they could improve the match day experience.

Tell us more

I was invited to it as well after applying but didn't realise at the time it fell on a Monday, and unfortunately Monday is all you can chicken wings at Hooters.

Glick and a glass of water or Girls with big boobs, chicken and beer?

No contest!

Why the Steve Bloomer song is played 5 minutes before kick-off and not right before kick-off.

Why that embarrassing, "THIS IS YOUR 2 MINUTE WARNING" Crap is played.

Why kids read out the team sheet.

Why isn't some half-decent entertainment at half time.

Why are the health and safety rules so outrageously strict.

Why did they sign Nigel Cough.

Why do we lose so many games to crap teams.

Why should I renew my season ticket.

OK,

Obviously I can only outline a few points..i would be typing for the next week if I wrote everything… but heres a start and I will add more later this week..

PART 1

We were greeted by Tom Glick and offered Drinks and a seat at the boardroom table. Also there was another guy also named Tom..he is the head of communications, a chap who is in charge of ticketing and a secretary taking notes.

After a brief introduction one fan said that his family had brought 5 season tickets for the last 15 years and that this year they hadn’t renewed, he was looking for good reason to change his mind from what he learns in the meeting. I don’t know his thoughts after everything he heard, but I was uplifted from my findings.

A few suggestions were made which were typically a bit far fetched, one fan suggested an artificial pitch, as the latest technology is well improved and also, a stadium roof would fetch extra revenue for the club between games. but apart from many players preferring to play on grass, the only plastic pitch that may be considered would be for the training ground to help with all weather training outdoors, otherwise that is it. It appears however the football league, of which Tom Glick is on the board, are apparently looking for a club to take the leap to a plastic pitch and see how they get on, that wont be Derby though as I take it…thank God.

One fan asked Tom Glick were he felt Derby might be in 5 years time. His reply was not just uplifting in my mind but also, very structured and from the heart, it definitely was not just a ‘selling season tickets’ type reply it was very genuine from what we heard, naturally this is a brief outline and not word for word of that answer... ‘’I would hope that in 5 years time we will be enjoying our 2nd season in the Premier League. As we stand at the moment we are on course in our plans both financially and on the field with the young squad and the considerable work being done at the academy where more potential is developing at Derby than can be found at most other clubs anywhere in he country. If or when promotion comes, and we must remember that money alone doesn’t necessarily buy promotion, there will be funds available to put into the club regardless of any current financial situation. This to enable the board to establish Derby correctly in that league having learnt the mistakes in our recent past, such mistakes will not happen again and the history learnt then will only benefit us in the future’’

When Tom had finished his reply, which of course was far more comprehensive than I can write here… I entered the meeting with my feelings which were almost in consideration of what I had just heard.. I said that I feel the communication from the club to the fans needed improving. Here we are with hundreds of fans wanting to know where we are going as a club and, if only those doubters had heard this, many more would be renewing their season tickets, plus of course we all want to hear what is planned as the main news is just about wage capping and trimming expenses. I also added that the only news that did come out had become stagnant with nothing new.

Tom’s reply was in some agreement and he said he would look into this communications idea but, they didn’t want to give false hope or be mis-taken by fans who hear one thing and convert it to something more like Chinese whispers which can be harmful if fans get the wrong idea when not heard directly from the correct source.

PART 2 to follow

A few suggestions were made which were typically a bit far fetched, one fan suggested an artificial pitch, as the latest technology is well improved and also, a stadium roof would fetch extra revenue for the club between games. but apart from many players preferring to play on grass, the only plastic pitch that may be considered would be for the training ground to help with all weather training outdoors, otherwise that is it. It appears however the football league, of which Tom Glick is on the board, are apparently looking for a club to take the leap to a plastic pitch and see how they get on, that wont be Derby though as I take it…thank God.

Ha, chance to ask any question and someone suggests a plastic pitch, great stuff.

so he's sort of giving Clough 3 more seasons to get to the Prem ?

Only if we show competitiveness, if we are in the bottom 3 after 20 games next season, then I expect decisive board action. Of course this is me playing Devil's advocate, I fully expect us to be at least mid-table, with a chance of a play-off shot. And hopefully no really bad run of 6/7+ games without a win.

Hi,

How do you apply?

PLANT!!! I'm sure there was a fans forum but I'm pretty sure this guy wasn't really there and is in fact Tom The Communications Guy...

'Obviously I can only outline a few points...' These points are far too detailed and upbeat not to be carefully scripted spin...

I take it that this is of the video showing on the official site of the fans forum?

Quite an interesting watch although it's just confirmed to me that the club will be going nowhere in the next few years.

I kind of agree with what the board is doing, i'd like a tad more investment in the side but nothing major and for them to cut out the marketing bullsh*t and some of the stuff they say.

It's reiterated to me that Clough isnt the manager to take us forward, far, far too much emphasis on 'hard work, honesty, spirt' for us to ever go places under him cos all that only gets you to about where we are now. He brags that 'only 3 games this season the opposition has worked harder than us' errrrr maybe Nigel that's cos we're spending most of the time chasing the ball.

He still talks as if it's impossible to get players with a bit of flair, creativity and nous on the cheap, which it is very difficult to do so but i expect he's not even looking. He'd have a trier over an inconsistent skillful player any day of the week.

Next season will be similar to this one and the last, unimaginative, defensive football where the opposition controls the game.

Archived