Inaugural Fans Forum

prideparkpete

I take it that this is of the video showing on the official site of the fans forum?

Quite an interesting watch although it's just confirmed to me that the club will be going nowhere in the next few years.

I kind of agree with what the board is doing, i'd like a tad more investment in the side but nothing major and for them to cut out the marketing bullsh*t and some of the stuff they say.

It's reiterated to me that Clough isnt the manager to take us forward, far, far too much emphasis on 'hard work, honesty, spirt' for us to ever go places under him cos all that only gets you to about where we are now. He brags that 'only 3 games this season the opposition has worked harder than us' errrrr maybe Nigel that's cos we're spending most of the time chasing the ball.

He still talks as if it's impossible to get players with a bit of flair, creativity and nous on the cheap, which it is very difficult to do so but i expect he's not even looking. He'd have a trier over an inconsistent skillful player any day of the week.

Next season will be similar to this one and the last, unimaginative, defensive football where the opposition controls the game.

Bueno, Bailey, Ward, Cywka, Bryson?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard work is overrated anyway.. There is no future in playing defensive, hard working football..

The best team to have done this is Everton, who have spent 10 years scraping in to the top half..I don't aspire to that, infact it bores the hell out of me..

Stoke will never be a top 8 side.. Never. They are a hardworking defensive team that will never get more than 55 points and will always have a negative GD.. They'll be a boring midtable team for years and years and they won't ever win anything.

Teams like Swansea and Wigan actually have hope.. They both play attractive football that can improve, they both can bring in quality foreign players who can easily adjust to the 'flair' game..

I'd rather dominate the oppositon 80% of the time playing dynamic football (Wigan, Fulham, Swansea) knowing that with only a few tweeks and perhaps better players you'd be really going somewhere than play negative hardworking football (Stoke, Wolves, Villa, Blackburn, Bolton) knowing that eventually your time is up and when the luck goes against you you'll end up relegated like Blackburn and Wolves playing sh*te football..

Bueno and Cywka he left out the side a lot and didnt seemed too disappointed that either left.

Ward can produce that quality we need on his day, seems to have dried up in the second half the of season, too inconsistent,

If Bryson and Bailey are flair/quality players then you have very low expectations of what those attributes are.

Bueno was a loan found by Metgod

Bailey is a decent passer but never ventures anywhere near the final 3rd

Ward is a head down and run type of player.. He's the exact opposite of someone like Vicente who can thread through balls and dictate play

Cywka was similar to Ward but perhaps worse

Bryson... You must be joking? Creative? He's a workhorse in CM

I disagree with the statements made about Derby being defensively minded. I concur we do play like that sometimes, but we've also bested other teams at their game like Swansea last year.

Agree that versatility is the answer to achieve better results in the coming future because playing one dimensionally exposes to many weaknesses.

Even when we're defensive, we don't play anything like Stoke City and I'd be appalled if we did. When we have the squad capable of promotion and achieve this goal (with Clough) I expect we'll be a much better side than Stoke who, only through grit and strength beat us at PP this year. Wouldn't mind a bit of europe though!

Bueno was a loan found by Metgod

Bailey is a decent passer but never ventures anywhere near the final 3rd

Ward is a head down and run type of player.. He's the exact opposite of someone like Vicente who can thread through balls and dictate play

Cywka was similar to Ward but perhaps worse

Bryson... You must be joking? Creative? He's a workhorse in CM

If Bryson was Spanish everyone would be signing his praises. He can really thread a ball through - the reason I think we need another striker is he needs someone to thread the ball through to. I must have a broader definition of creative than you. Can you only be a creative player if you're the David Silva type?

So what if Metgod found him? Clough didn't turn up to Moor Farm one day and find a Spanish bloke in the changing rooms. His management team found the player, he would have been happy with the move, he played him.

Not saying any of those players are Pele but some people look at Ben Davies and then do copy and paste with his attributes on to all the other players Clough has ever signed in their head.

Through hard work we have way, way over-achieved. What people forget is that last decade, Derby had some incredibly talented footballers play for them - almost all of them were overpaid, arrogant, pathetic excuses for human beings who didn't look liked they want to be there when things started going wrong. That sort of culture came to a climax in our Premier League season.

Before we start preparing for this revolution in the football league where every team plays like Spain, we just need to get rid of those sort of players. Performances like 4-1 against Scunny are unforgiveable. And Clough didn't forgive. When did Cywka ever look good when the chips were down? He only produced magic when the rest of the team were playing well.

Long stroy short, we could sign players like Commons, Bueno, Cywka and the like and Clough does look for those sort of players. He's signed them before, he's still signing them now. But they're not vital to a good season. You need a good base first. The players surrounding them weren't good enough - and, too often, neither were our creative players.

Stick a Kris Commons type player in our side now and we'd absolutely fly. That comes down to investment, ultimately. But I've ejoyed this season more than any other since our last promotion season...maybe more. In a Barnes-less Davies side, there was far less excitement than in this team.

Bris Vegas, I really like how demanding you are in seeing good football being played and in the bigger picture, I completely agree with you on that sort of philosophy. But I want us to get a team that can do the basic right first before we start doing that. And this is the Championship...players like Bryson are described as neat footballers in this league.

Hard work is overrated anyway.. There is no future in playing defensive, hard working football..

The best team to have done this is Everton, who have spent 10 years scraping in to the top half..I don't aspire to that, infact it bores the hell out of me..

Stoke will never be a top 8 side.. Never. They are a hardworking defensive team that will never get more than 55 points and will always have a negative GD.. They'll be a boring midtable team for years and years and they won't ever win anything.

Teams like Swansea and Wigan actually have hope.. They both play attractive football that can improve, they both can bring in quality foreign players who can easily adjust to the 'flair' game..

I'd rather dominate the oppositon 80% of the time playing dynamic football (Wigan, Fulham, Swansea) knowing that with only a few tweeks and perhaps better players you'd be really going somewhere than play negative hardworking football (Stoke, Wolves, Villa, Blackburn, Bolton) knowing that eventually your time is up and when the luck goes against you you'll end up relegated like Blackburn and Wolves playing sh*te football..

Yeah, I mean Stoke have not/will never go anywhere with it. As if promotion wasn't enough, 3 solid years in the PL financing their football club for years to come, an FA cup run (and final) and then just a little tour of europe..

I wouldn't want any of that to be honest!

Don't get me wrong, I don't want us to start signing 8 foot athletic thugs and play like they do, but to write that style of play is madness. They've had a great few years, I definately would of swapped our last three for theirs!

Barcelona are one of the hardest working teams in Europe. It's wrong to equate hardworking with defensive play.

Continued...

Other topics of worth included how well the academy was doing. Most academies if lucky produce one particular good prospect per season whereas we currently have around six players of exception that are on the way and several more following behind them.

Mason Bennett has already been spotted and rated as a probable Champions League player of the future, this is the word coming from other clubs including word from some Premiership clubs, Arsenal was one mentioned. We were told that next season he will be brought more into the team fold whilst everything is structured properly to get the best development in a player at his age level.

When asked if we were a selling club, Tom Glick said that we were not really a selling club but, if someone came in for a player with a silly high price and the club felt that the player was not as good as the bidding club thought, then we might let him go if he was surplus to our needs. But otherwise no, we are not a selling club. Mason Bennett may be a different issue. Hopefully it was said, we will get him into the Premiership for at least a season before the buyers move in but, as Derby are not expecting to be up there in the Champions League places realistically in the foreseeable future, it would be wrong to hold a player back if given that opportunity to join a club which is.

On the match day experience, it was discussed about the fans signed ballot to move fans into the south stand behind the goal. This is a possibility being looked at and Mr. Glick said that of course it is too late for this coming 2012/13 season but a possibility for the season after. The club firstly will contact all of those in the south east corner to see what percentage will be happy to move, as they will lose their current seat position if the mass move went ahead with that east corner then becoming the away fans section. Also capacity would be lost due to the need for two segregation sections dividing away fans form home fans being either side of them. Having said that, it may be possible to have the south stand terraced which will accommodate more fans standing. One of the difficult issues it was said is how to police away fans into and out of the stadium being between the home fans. All is just speculation for now though.

Also on the match day experience, queuing for food and drinks was mentioned as an issue whilst real ale was also a request from one fan.

I have covered in these two posts just an outline of what is in my opinion the main discussions of interest on the night, other topics were mentioned but considerable time was spent on these items ive written of.

To conclude, I am new to this dcfc fans forum and already I find it sad to read some of the negative replies to my first post, I guess you always get someone who wants to stir it up but I will not respond directly, its not worth it. All ive tried to do is offer a few comments as I felt lucky and privileged to be invited to that forum, which all fans were invited to register for this on the official Derby County website. If it is not there now, contact them directly, its an ongoing monthly forum. My reason for posting this is I just want the good fans to see that positive and promising work IS being done behind the scenes by Tom Glick and his staff and it just isn’t getting out there to most fans just what is being done.

Thanks.

Barcelona are one of the hardest working teams in Europe. It's wrong to equate hardworking with defensive play.

You're right there Sage..

I think I just prefer possession football to statistical percentage football..

I think NC is a keen admirer of percentage football.. Sort of the pholosophy of kick it long and then when we retrieve possession (hopefully in the opposition half) start to try and create with abit of passing.. Basically the same as Everton, with the thought process of 'if the ball isn't in our half they can't score'

I prefer the dominating midfielders passing their way through to reach the final 3rd than go direct from the back and bypass the midfield..

Sam Allardyce is the ultimate percentage manager.. The complete opposite of what I want to see.

You're right there Sage..

I think I just prefer possession football to statistical percentage football..

I think NC is a keen admirer of percentage football.. Sort of the pholosophy of kick it long and then when we retrieve possession (hopefully in the opposition half) start to try and create with abit of passing.. Basically the same as Everton, with the thought process of 'if the ball isn't in our half they can't score'

I prefer the dominating midfielders passing their way through to reach the final 3rd than go direct from the back and bypass the midfield..

Sam Allardyce is the ultimate percentage manager.. The complete opposite of what I want to see.

Fully agree on the Allardyce bit Bris but fully believe as well that our coaching satff are miles away from thinking that the allardyce way is the way ahead.

West Ham I would imagine from looking at the way the4y play are encouraged to get the ball into the box if they get the ball anywhere in their oppontents half, take a touch and then launch it.

I just watched them absolutely destroy Brighton playing that way.

I really believe that our manager and his staff are all lookoing for us to play a passing game and I'm patient enough to watch it develop.

None of Clough, Crosby, Metgod, Wassall glover, holmes or gilroy even know what hoofball is.

Continued...

Other topics of worth included how well the academy was doing. Most academies if lucky produce one particular good prospect per season whereas we currently have around six players of exception that are on the way and several more following behind them.

Mason Bennett has already been spotted and rated as a probable Champions League player of the future, this is the word coming from other clubs including word from some Premiership clubs, Arsenal was one mentioned. We were told that next season he will be brought more into the team fold whilst everything is structured properly to get the best development in a player at his age level.

When asked if we were a selling club, Tom Glick said that we were not really a selling club but, if someone came in for a player with a silly high price and the club felt that the player was not as good as the bidding club thought, then we might let him go if he was surplus to our needs. But otherwise no, we are not a selling club. Mason Bennett may be a different issue. Hopefully it was said, we will get him into the Premiership for at least a season before the buyers move in but, as Derby are not expecting to be up there in the Champions League places realistically in the foreseeable future, it would be wrong to hold a player back if given that opportunity to join a club which is.

On the match day experience, it was discussed about the fans signed ballot to move fans into the south stand behind the goal. This is a possibility being looked at and Mr. Glick said that of course it is too late for this coming 2012/13 season but a possibility for the season after. The club firstly will contact all of those in the south east corner to see what percentage will be happy to move, as they will lose their current seat position if the mass move went ahead with that east corner then becoming the away fans section. Also capacity would be lost due to the need for two segregation sections dividing away fans form home fans being either side of them. Having said that, it may be possible to have the south stand terraced which will accommodate more fans standing. One of the difficult issues it was said is how to police away fans into and out of the stadium being between the home fans. All is just speculation for now though.

Also on the match day experience, queuing for food and drinks was mentioned as an issue whilst real ale was also a request from one fan.

I have covered in these two posts just an outline of what is in my opinion the main discussions of interest on the night, other topics were mentioned but considerable time was spent on these items ive written of.

To conclude, I am new to this dcfc fans forum and already I find it sad to read some of the negative replies to my first post, I guess you always get someone who wants to stir it up but I will not respond directly, its not worth it. All ive tried to do is offer a few comments as I felt lucky and privileged to be invited to that forum, which all fans were invited to register for this on the official Derby County website. If it is not there now, contact them directly, its an ongoing monthly forum. My reason for posting this is I just want the good fans to see that positive and promising work IS being done behind the scenes by Tom Glick and his staff and it just isn’t getting out there to most fans just what is being done.

Thanks.

Very informative post, Pete, and welcome to the forum 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks for sharing the info Pete, interesting that they are going to ask the SE corner, why didn't they ask me the other year if I wanted to be moved from my seat? I was told...

Are there that many SE'ers that want this though is what I fear.

Not too sure why the OP should expect us all to be uplifted by words,as opposed to actions.The bit about expecting to be in our second Prem season in 5 years' time is very clever,as it implants in fans' minds the aim of getting there and staying there (I'd love to have known what the answer to "where do you expect to be in 4 years' time" would have been).Of course,the flip side to this is the implied expectation of being in the Championship for the next 3 years.

Therefore,whilst concentrating on words,the following statement made over a year ago might now be amended by the addition of the words in brackets (as applied at that time) :-

"We expect to put a side together that is capable of competing in the top six and we hope that will be self evident with the moves we make" (but we don't expect to be promoted for 4 seasons).

I noticed that in the video of a forum on the club site,Glick makes reference to the £40m+ from Sky monies alone that a Prem season will bring,and how we've got very clever people to determine how best to use this-no mention of a cash injection there .Not really surprising as I reckon we could run a wage bill similar to last time (£23m for players) and have a £20m+ surplus for capital expenditure.

I find it rather odd that Glick seems to have plenty of time to entertain these forums,yet can't seem to be able to find the time to appear on the RD phone in,hopefully to field random questions (that we can all hear answered).

Archived