Ten Points Short

sage

All managers are stubborn they have to be. If they are weak then players start to run the house, don't think you could say anything different about Brian Clough. Ferguson is stubborn how many times has he picked sides where everyone goes hey? sometimes it backfires but he doesn't blame himself.

If players run the roost you will get what I think has happened at City with Balotelli and Tevez (both whom I think a portion of the blame for their spectacular blow up rest).

We have had crucial injuries throughout the season. Missing Green and Barker till Xmas. Bailey was playing well then out for 3 months ankle injury, Steven Davies fractured skull 4 months out, Robinson hamstring, Tyson (marmite like him or hate him) been out for most of season never got going, Brayford has missed half of the season, Roberts injured at beginning of season. These to name a few. Coupled with the youngsters being introduced to first team football OB, Hendrick, Naylor etc. To manage significant injuries (don't think too many teams have had this type of long term injuries to 1st team players) and to get youngsters playing well week in week out with the pressure shows Clough and staff are more than able to keep them going. I am pleased I know some are not but that is their choice, this is our best season since promotion season and still got 4 games left, improvement their hope it continues.

Keep the side together bring in a couple of experienced players to help youngsters and see what happens next year.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like everyone has said a bit of all of them I suppose but would I want us to be bank rolled to winning everything.....yeah probably but it would get annoying everyone saying we have brought the league.

Every team does have injuries, although it does seem like we have more then many but that is probably because we have such a small squad.

Yeah Nige is stubborn and some of his descions really do piss me off but in a way I kind of like it he knows what he wants for derby and won't buckle on that.

I'd like to think that we are gathering a core of hard working team players Making us ultimately a strong team that can challenge for promotion and stay in the top flight.

You see, it's posts like this that end up on the red dog forum.

Yeah, but that only bothers saddo's who frequent such places 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ........normal people don't give a toss what the forest gumps talk about 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> .........................

Yeah, but that only bothers saddo's who frequent such places 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> ........normal people don't give a toss what the forest gumps talk about 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> .........................

Daveos hacked into Utches log in.

The Season overall has given us a great insight into what happens with a small squad suffering with significant injuries and lots of youngsters comming in.

When they play well with confidence we go on good runs.

When the confidence ebbs away and we panic we go on horrendous runs.

Over a season you are left with an inconsistant team. A supprise, no, frustratiing yes, signs of positive things to come, definately.

Defence- above average for most of the season, absent without leave at other times. Major injuries and little consistant playing time.

Midfield- Average for some of the season, very below average for other parts of the season, above average for a portion of the season. No solid 4/5 players who have shown the ability to last a season and get the solidity neded in the middle of the park. Getting better now though.

Strikers- OVerall you would say we have an average front line (regardless of who plays), Some have been injured, some have not settled and others have suprised. When it clicks, they are sufficient for where we are in the league, when they are off it, or absent through injury we struggle.

So, although it seems like a negative report, overall they are still much better off than last year, but with those factors mentioned that gives you the 10 points comfortably, and more importanlty the 23 points to why we are behind top place in the division.

ER

[size=3]No game can sum up our season more than Boro away.

First half - Kept it tight, gave chances away, created little and were 2-0 down

Second half - hight tempo, taking risks creating chances and Boro had to take us seriously. Should of won.[/size]

[size=3]The Aberdeenshire Rams were at the Boro away game and all I can hope is that we give Boro a real good humping this Saturday, and that will bring a big smile to us all, including us Rams up North, and to be honest I'd be happy if the season finished then.[/size]

[size=3]What with the Derby County Under 16's winning the first ever Dennis Law Soccer Tournament back in July 2011 up here in Aberdeen and the Aberdeenshire Rams on the pitch with the lads and the management team and the trophy, to a top ten finish in the league for the 1st Team, and the smogs blasted off the park, in front of a real football crowd at Pride Park instead of playing in front of thousands of empty red seats in smogland, in front of a few ridiculous fans that think they watch a big football club and one that deserves to be in the premier league etc!....Don't make me laugh![/size]

[size=3]Derby County Under 16's Winners - Dennis Law Soccer Tournament 2011 results and highlights at[/size]

[size=3][url=http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/news-a-media/featured-news/2990]http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/news-a-media/featured-news/2990[/size]

[size=3]No game can sum up our season more than Boro away.

First half - Kept it tight, gave chances away, created little and were 2-0 down

Second half - hight tempo, taking risks creating chances and Boro had to take us seriously. Should of won.[/size]

[size=3]The Aberdeenshire Rams were at the Boro away game and all I can hope is that we give Boro a real good humping this Saturday, and that will bring a big smile to us all, including us Rams up North, and to be honest I'd be happy if the season finished then.[/size]

[size=3]What with the Derby County Under 16's winning the first ever Dennis Law Soccer Tournament back in July 2011 up here in Aberdeen and the Aberdeenshire Rams on the pitch with the lads and the management team and the trophy, to a top ten finish in the league for the 1st Team, and the smogs blasted off the park, in front of a real football crowd at Pride Park instead of playing in front of thousands of empty red seats in smogland, in front of a few ridiculous fans that think they watch a big football club and one that deserves to be in the premier league etc!....Don't make me laugh![/size]

[size=3]Derby County Under 16's Winners - Dennis Law Soccer Tournament 2011 results and highlights at[/size]

[size=3][url=http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/news-a-media/featured-news/2990]http://www.youthfoot...tured-news/2990[/size]

I stood next to at the Riverside. We should have beaten them that day and I'm sure we will this time.

I think it's because the teams above us have got 10 or more points more than we managed to get. It's something to do with winning and drawing more games than we have.

Think you will find all the teams above us up to 5th position have won the same or less games than us. Just need to draw few more than we have lost and we would be there or there abouts

i don't think we are far off from being a top 4 side in this division. i'm not even totally sure about the need for another striker. If Tyson can have a decent season next year and can come in, in games where our system we are playing at the moment doesn't work then I'd be incredibly happy. And yes, i thought it was a big waste when green was playing CB. I've not been so sure about naylor (but ive only seen him play once and only listened) but he seems to be getting good praise here. If we can keep ward, green, (s/bavies), shacks, theo, brayford then next season we should have another 10-12 points on the board then we do now. If we could get some more cover at the back and maybe a CM who we can bring on to change the system around, we might be able to plan a proper plan B for the games where we look lost after HT.

but of course we won't need to because next season we will be in the prem and the board will have given nige £40m and a £20m wage budget to build a top 10 side 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I think we're in good shape for breaking into the top 6 next season...certainly in terms of the hard working & honest squad we have. This summer is going to be fascinating as we still lack a back up LB (or main LB depending on your point of view- although I rate Roberts), a creative midfielder & a targetman - but get these 3 at Championship level & top 6 is a definite possibility next yr.

As for being ten points short, I am not thinking in terms of that. Cast your mind back to this time last year....we didnt even manage 50 points (the benchmark for keeping safe from relegation), laden with overpaid & underused players & without a top half finish in any division in 4 years.

Fast forward a year later, we're all talking playoffs but realsitically looking at a certain top half finish, doubles over Forest & Leeds & the break through of a number of talented young lads - we would all have taken this had we been asked last April.

This season has not been a wasted opportunity, its been the partial rebirth of a club that has been on its knees since Sep 07. Onwards & upwards.

Take the Cardiff (H), Leicester (A) and Southampton (A) games out the way and our defence has only conceded 43 goals in 40 games.. That is actually very good, or good enough to be up there to give us a chance of the top 6.. Those 3 games makes out we have a poor defence when in fact they've been decent at times..

I think this has helped by having a tighter midfield, last season teams just waltzed through our midfield and with Savage the defence was always going to be under pressure..

But the reason IMO that we aren't top 6 is our lack of creative midfielders, our negative attitude at times, our last 15 minute record (without going into huge debate again it needs improving as we're losing points during this time) and our lack of goals..

S.Davies and Theo have contributed, but our midfielders haven't and our other strikers (Ball, Bennett, Tyson etc.) have been poor in goalscoring terms.. We've only scored 47 in 43, take out the 3-2 (Palace) 3-1 (Pompey) 3-0 (Millwall) 3-0 (Doncaster) and that's 35 goals in 39 games.. That in reflection is really really poor.. That could be down to negative tactics, 'holding out for a point ie. 0-0' or just a general lack of goals..

We've had an incredible amount of shutouts this season that we simply aren't good enough for the playoffs.. I've you want to make the playoffs, you can't go through over 1/3 of the season without scoring a goal.. Our shutouts this season include Leicester x2, Southampton, Reading, Millwall, Burnley, Middlesborough x2, Brighton x2, Ipswich x2, Coventry, Barnsley, Hull, Cardiff.. Of the 43 games we've played, we've failed to score in 16 games.. You can't expect to be top 6 with a record like that..

PistoldPete2

Take the Cardiff (H), Leicester (A) and Southampton (A) games out the way and our defence has only conceded 43 goals in 40 games.. That is actually very good, or good enough to be up there to give us a chance of the top 6.. Those 3 games makes out we have a poor defence when in fact they've been decent at times..

I think this has helped by having a tighter midfield, last season teams just waltzed through our midfield and with Savage the defence was always going to be under pressure..

But the reason IMO that we aren't top 6 is our lack of creative midfielders, our negative attitude at times, our last 15 minute record (without going into huge debate again it needs improving as we're losing points during this time) and our lack of goals..

S.Davies and Theo have contributed, but our midfielders haven't and our other strikers (Ball, Bennett, Tyson etc.) have been poor in goalscoring terms.. We've only scored 47 in 43, take out the 3-2 (Palace) 3-1 (Pompey) 3-0 (Millwall) 3-0 (Doncaster) and that's 35 goals in 39 games.. That in reflection is really really poor.. That could be down to negative tactics, 'holding out for a point ie. 0-0' or just a general lack of goals..

We've had an incredible amount of shutouts this season that we simply aren't good enough for the playoffs.. I've you want to make the playoffs, you can't go through over 1/3 of the season without scoring a goal.. Our shutouts this season include Leicester x2, Southampton, Reading, Millwall, Burnley, Middlesborough x2, Brighton x2, Ipswich x2, Coventry, Barnsley, Hull, Cardiff.. Of the 43 games we've played, we've failed to score in 16 games.. You can't expect to be top 6 with a record like that..

Well for once I agree with Bris EXCEPT I dont think you can blame the midfield for lack of goals. Bryson has got a few so has Ward and Hendrick , BDavies and even Carrol scored one. Problem is that although S Davies and Theo have scored a high proprtion of games played, when either or both were missing we didnt have enough goal threat. We need someeone coming off the bench who can score. look at well Boro today.

Only time I can recall one of our subs scoring is when Bucko came on against Forest and taht wasnt exactly in the plan .

Well for once I agree with Bris EXCEPT I dont think you can blame the midfield for lack of goals. Bryson has got a few so has Ward and Hendrick , BDavies and even Carrol scored one. Problem is that although S Davies and Theo have scored a high proprtion of games played, when either or both were missing we didnt have enough goal threat. We need someeone coming off the bench who can score. look at well Boro today.

Only time I can recall one of our subs scoring is when Bucko came on against Forest and taht wasnt exactly in the plan .

If you look at any team that's gunning for promotion you need to score at least 55-60 goals a season.. 55 in 46 is hardly record breaking anyway.. All the top 6 have over 60 already as do the likes of Ipswich, Leicester, Leeds, Peterborough..

The reason why Boro, Hull and Brighton (who all have decent defensive records) aren't in the top 6 is simply due to a lack of goals and 'scoring blanks'

Simply to score 55-60 goals a season, you need at least 30-35 contributing from your attackers (including subs which Tyson, Maguire and Ball have contributed minimal in terms of goals) and around 25 from the rest of the team (midfield + defence).. How many goals has our defence scored this season, we aren't a threat from corners and off the top of my head of Shackell and Roberts have one each.. As for the midfield, Ward, Bryson, Bavies, Hendrick have about 15 in total.. That IMO isn't good enough.

I 100% agree with you regarding Theo and Davies. We know where the problem lies and it isn't in defence.. If Davies or Robinson doesn't play our goalscoring threat plummets.. We need more goals from midfield and another attacker who can score at least 8-10 a season.

All the teams in the top 6 each have at least 3 attackers who have contributed over 8-10 goals each.. We don't.

I agree Bris. We need more creativity and goalscoring from midfield. We need a CM and a WM to progress. However with us needing a cb to replace Barker next year, we may only be able to bring in one of them. Which one is a priority?

Just taking Reading for example.. Top of the league, and with a respectable 66 goals (They're the 5th leading scorers in the league)

Look at how balanced the goals are across the team..

Strikers: Roberts (6) Le Fondre (11) Church (7) N.Hunt (8) = 32

Midfielders: Kebe (3) Leigertwood (4) Karacan (3) McAnuff (5) Robson-Kanu (4) = 19

Defence: Gorkks (2) A.Pearce (5) Harte (4) = 11

*4 other goals came from O.G.s

Now look at Derby

Strikers: S.Davies (10) Theo (9) Ball (3) Maguire (1) = 23

Midfielders: Bryson (6) B.Davies (2) Ward (4) Hendrick (3) Carroll (1) Green (1) = 17

Defence: Buxton (1) Shackell (1) Roberts (1) = 3

*4 others we're O.G.s(??)

I thought Theo got more than 9 in the league? Maybe that stat is wrong but the rest is correct..

Anyway you can see the difference in the two teams.. Our strikers (altogether) simply don't score enough, and they are not helped by the rest of the team.. Reading have scored 10 goals more than us from defence and midfield..

Archived