Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

I've not been able to listen to the Jason Shackell interview but can someone tell me if there is any mention of a failed contract renegotiation with Derby in there?

I've seen a couple of people mention it, but I'm trying to piece together some info that was mentioned at the fan forum on Monday that I didn't think much of at the time but now starts to make a bit more sense.

If someone can confirm what exactly was said then I can fill in the blanks and post my theory!

JASON Shackell believes Derby County were keen to cash in on him to help improve other areas of the team.

Shackell joined Burnley yesterday for £1.1m and the transfer has left Derby supporters fuming.

The central defender was ever-present last season and wore the captain's armband in the absence of the injured Shaun Barker.

Fans have vented their anger over his departure and they have questioned the ambition of the club's American owners.

Shackell, who has signed a four-year deal with Burnley, was introduced to the media in Lancashire yesterday.

Asked if he was surprised Derby sold him, the 28-year-old defender said: "Nothing surprises me in this game.

"You never know what is happening behind the scenes, you just keep your head down.

"I think they (Derby) were keen to get a bit of cash in and try to improve other areas but that's done now. I'm looking forward and focusing on having a good few years at Burnley.

"And I'll be looking forward to playing against Derby. I had a good year there and I got on very well with the lads.

"It is a fantastic club and I really did enjoy my time there."

Rams chief executive Tom Glick has defended the club's decision to sell Shackell.

The Derby Telegraph requested an interview with Glick yesterday and late last night he responded with a short statement in relation to Shackell's transfer.

Glick said: "Working within our budget, our focus remains on building a stronger squad for the coming season and I want all Rams fans to know that we are working hard to invest in new players across the pitch.

"By selling Jason, it allows us to reinvest at centre-back and other positions.

"Nigel (Clough) has already identified the kind of young, hungry player, like Michael Jacobs, that we wish to bring to Pride Park and we hope to have further positive news soon."

Burnley boss Eddie Howe believes Jason Shackell is a natural leader.

Howe wanted to sign the player 12 months ago but was beaten to his signature by Derby.

He is delighted to have finally got his man.

"He is someone we have admired for a long time," Howe told the club's official website.

"It's a long contract but that's the faith we have in him," Howe added.

"He's an excellent player, a very good footballer who will definitely fit our style of play.

"Also, off the pitch he is a leader and a really good character. He has everything you want in a modern-day centre-half.

"Adding another leader to the pack was crucial for us and I think we've done that."

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Jason-Shackell-Derby-County-cashed-fund-player/story-16493546-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisder...tail/story.html

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks - I'd read that and it didn't say anything about contract renegotiations - I was talking about the audio interview here

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18726604]http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18726604

Stupid proxy at work won't let me listen

No mention of contract negotiations but he does say that he wasn't going to hang around where his future was uncertain.

I just love the quote from Glick on Daveo last post! Pass the blame on Clough as usual. So why did they look at Joel Lynch from Forest then as a replacemen,t only for him to fail his medical with us on Wdnesday? Hardly surprising bearing in mind he has HAD so many injuries and has only made 75 appearences in 4 seasons! We are really scraping the barrell and can't see how he would be an improvement on Shackell! IMO

Just to clarify my previous post I'm not wishing to post any rumours I am just passing on what I've been told.

I'd also like to say that I was as disappointed with anyone regarding the sale of Jason. He was in my opinion outstanding last season.

The deal for the main target may or may not complete I have no knowledge of that so please do not ridicule me if it does not happen. All I know is what I mentioned earlier.

All i remember seeing in the DET was "the fee was believed to be atleast £1.1m" i really dont think anybody apart from the 2 clubs has any idea, its all guess work

I've got it in front of me. headline says "Rams poised for signing as star defender sold for £1.1 m"

Goes on to say fee "thought to be in the region of £1.1 million".

Knowing journalism as I do, sounds to me they've got a steer.

Wiki always right?

Also understand that DCFC have got a clause in for appearances and an uplift fee if Burnly get promoted to PL whilst Shackell is there! So we might get more out of it in the long run. Still think its a really shortsighted deal IMO

Archived