Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was made clear straight from the end of the season there was no money to strengthen the team unless Nigel sold, and Shacks was our only asset that would get decent money. Nigel's been touting him around no end and anyone who thought he would be in our team when kick off time came was deluded.

That said, I expected to get more than £1.1 million; £400k profit for one of the best defenders in the league is a bit crap in my opinion and I'm disappointed by that.

What you can guarantee about his replacement is that he won't have the same experience, will be from a lower league team and be "young and hungry". Let's hope he's as good.

I've had no beef with Nigel's transfers so far (the one's he's paid reasonable or decent money for) but I've not got a good feeling about this move. Upsetting the fans is one thing and goes with the territory. More importantly I hope it hasn't upset the dressing room.

I just don't believe that he has been sold for 1.1 mill because that is more than a bit crap and Nigel seems a shrewd business man. unless of course there is no choice and 1.1mill is the magic number for bringing in 2 targets he really wants and needs the money now.

My thoughts around McGuire was that he was sold cheep simply to get the cash to land the guy from Northampton before he went elsewhere. I.e Take the hit on the transfer fee but still get your man. Could be the same situation here.

Interesting point about the dressing room. I wonder if he rubs people up the wrong way given the amount of teams he has played for but he always seemed a decent guy in interviews.

I just don't believe that he has been sold for 1.1 mill because that is more than a bit crap and Nigel seems a shrewd business man. unless of course there is no choice and 1.1mill is the magic number for bringing in 2 targets he really wants and needs the money now.

My thoughts around McGuire was that he was sold cheep simply to get the cash to land the guy from Northampton before he went elsewhere. I.e Take the hit on the transfer fee but still get your man. Could be the same situation here.

Interesting point about the dressing room. I wonder if he rubs people up the wrong way given the amount of teams he has played for but he always seemed a decent guy in interviews.

Why don't you believe it's 1.1m ? Given the fact it's reported almost everywhere as being this amount.

I don't understand your logic about the fees, there is still a number of weeks to go before start of season, we could have signed Jacobs gone to a tribunal and held out for more money for McGuire, problem was, no one wanted to pay more than we got, with shackell, I've not seen us bring in a centre half yet, so this also don't ring true.

And as for your last point, I assume you are taking the mickey.

Why don't you believe it's 1.1m ? Given the fact it's reported almost everywhere as being this amount.

I don't understand your logic about the fees, there is still a number of weeks to go before start of season, we could have signed Jacobs gone to a tribunal and held out for more money for McGuire, problem was, no one wanted to pay more than we got, with shackell, I've not seen us bring in a centre half yet, so this also don't ring true.

Do you mean reported by Radio Lancashire taking the twitter bait from the Mirror and then everyone running with it means it's fact?

Shackell got a 4 year deal out of this - says he didn't know where he stood.

Of course he did - captain next year. Year after that probably not. 2 years left on his contract would take him to 31 and then he possibly wouldn't be attractive to another club.

Maybe he heard Clough and Glick saying how important he was and chanced his arm for an extension and or pay rise - and was told on your bike young man by the time your 31 OB and Lelan and Galinski will be younger, have experience etc.... Your stand in captain for Barker. Status quo for you.

Thats a theory although highly unlikely.Clough as we know has previous and its more likely threatened him with a paycut

loss of captaincy etc.Told him he wasn't wanted and then threw him a sweetener - Burnley.I trust Shackells version he has

always been straight Clough hasn't.I never slagged Jason off when he played for us and I'm not starting now.you stab him

in the back if you have to.

Thats a theory although highly unlikely.Clough as we know has previous and its more likely threatened him with a paycut

loss of captaincy etc.Told him he wasn't wanted and then threw him a sweetener - Burnley.I trust Shackells version he has

always been straight Clough hasn't.I never slagged Jason off when he played for us and I'm not starting now.you stab him

in the back if you have to.

Well he did jump ship at Barnsley because they were making cut backs

When has Nigel not been straight with us?

Shacks will get a bad reception I imagine, alot of people seem to be putting the JUDAS tag on him.

I hope he doesn't though, I for one will give him a clap as he's been a good servant (albeit for 12 months) for this football club and was a major part in us having an alright season for once.

Why the heck anyone can have a go at Shackell about this is well beyond me.

The guy was signed on premise that he would be an integral part of the team for the next few seasons. After a good season, he is told by Clough, that he is going to be cashed in to fund other players. It does not matter if he gets more or less wages at Burnely, he did not make a fuss and went. If you believe in Clough then you should also believe that Shackell has only done good for the club.

Is it any wonder some fans are pissed off by this decision. The board say we don't need to sell, yet Clough is instantly touting one of our best players. The messages this sends out are terrible.

If I am feeling generous I will say that Clough has a 50/50 good/bad record with signings. For a club on as tight a budget as ours...I am not filled with confidence.

Seems a funny way to build a squad...our player turnover has to be admired....

At least Derby always provide talking points, rarely is there ever a dull moment, good or diabolical.

It is an undisclosed fee, £1.1million is just a made up number that everybody has jumped on - it might be right of course but I think it will have been more than that.

The point about Jacobs was that if we didn't tie the deal up when we did, he could/would have gone somewhere else and not us - Clough wanted him and needed the money at that specific point in time, therefore Macguire went rather than wait for a better offer and miss out on the man earmarked for his replacement. - This is speculation by the way - I don't know that for fact.

And what is wrong with questioning why a guy has had 4 different clubs in 4 seasons? It certainly raises questions - As I have already said, I think he comes across as a decent guy but I don't know him on any level other than what I have heard in interview and normally there is no smoke without fire.

Is it any wonder some fans are pissed off by this decision. The board say we don't need to sell, yet Clough is instantly touting one of our best players. The messages this sends out are terrible.

I agree with the point about this not being Shackell's fault. I don't think it is.

On 'Clough touting Shackell about' - purely conjecture, but if Nigel's been told that he needs to sell before he can buy, and Shackell was our most sell-able asset, then it makes sense to sell him sooner rather than later so that we can get players in sooner too. Don't want to be chopping and changing just as the season's getting under way.

The downside of this though is obviously that we'll get a worse price for him as our bargaining position is weakened.

The logic, and success of this move will depend entirely on who we get in, for how much, and how soon.

I agree with the point about this not being Shackell's fault. I don't think it is.

On 'Clough touting Shackell about' - purely conjecture, but if Nigel's been told that he needs to sell before he can buy, and Shackell was our most sell-able asset, then it makes sense to sell him sooner rather than later so that we can get players in sooner too. Don't want to be chopping and changing just as the season's getting under way.

The downside of this though is obviously that we'll get a worse price for him as our bargaining position is weakened.

The logic, and success of this move will depend entirely on who we get in, for how much, and how soon.

You won't have to wait too long mate, I promise.

The 1.1m figure may or may not be true - easy way for Nigel and the club to fix it is to say - we felt we got a fair price for him, it should be noted that media reports on the size of the deal are largely incorrect - It is still not disclosure but would make a lot of us feel better to know we got a figure closer to his value. If they keep totally schtum I am afraid I would start to believe the 1.1m number.

I still think there was a clause in his contract based on games played and a decent amount of money would have been heading up to Barnsley if he had played another game - in theory this would have been accounted for so would now be released for new signings.

Whatever the case it is a huge gamble - he is basically playing stick or twist - He could have stuck with the defence as was and basically tried to pick up a striker on the cheap using money from Bailey (if he goes) and Davies (if he goes) but it would have been on the cheap as we are at least 250k down from the Mcguire/Jacobs deals - I am assuming the loss of Addison, Croft, Green which will bring in almost nothing will be to cover the likes of Mellor and possibly Caton and any other young potentials that come through.

If you assume we would get 1m for Davies and Bailey then we would have had 750k for a striker which gets you naff all - his gamble is that selling Shackell brings in cash - it is easier to pick up defenders on the cheap than strikers and he can go and get a CF for 1.2-1.3m leaving some money to replace Shackell.

The other big piece of the puzzle is that he seems convinced that he has an adequate replacement on the hook for Shackell and that more than anything appears to have driven this deal through.

Broke the habit of a lifetime and went on internet rumour sites to see who was being mooted, bit depressing really - Harry Worley, Karleigh Osborne, Krystian Pearce and Wilson from Bristol - still until the replacement arrives it is tough to judge this one as much as it feels like a massive mistake....

New poster here.

Had to join to fill you in as feel it's only fair.

You may or may not believe me but have some information from a very reliable source If you know what I mean.

We've actually got 2 mill for shackell. Derby have insisted upon this being undisclosed to ensure that the club of their main target do not bump up the asking price for their player.

I understand that their main target has been tracked since January when his club played against us at pride park. I was aware he was our main target in April.

Derby were forced into moving quickly regarding forcing the sale of Shackell through on Monday as a club from Yorkshire made a bid for their main target.

I'm not saying this will happen 100% but I'm simply telling you what I've been told.

Archived