James Bailey

DcFc Dyycheee

Very lazy article, which suggests Barnsley are in for 'ex-Derby County' player James Bailey, who was 'released in may'.

We all know he's probably going, don't know if the destination carries more credence than the article.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley/barnsley-james-bailey-lined-up-by-hill-as-jacob-leaves-oakwell-1-4702143

BARNSLEY are chasing former Derby County and Crewe midfielder James Bailey.

The Star understands Reds boss Keith Hill is a keen admirer of 23-year-old Bailey, released by the Rams in May having played two seasons at Pride Park.

And the move would make sense with Hill still hungry to sign a creative midfield player. Midfielder Jacob Butterfield is expected to sign for Norwich City today having rejected a deal to stay at Oakwell, while the club’s pursuit of Manchester United ace Oliver Norwood proved fruitless after the player opted for Huddersfield Town.

The Reds do have options in midfield with Stephen Dawson and David Perkins having impressed in a central role.

But The Star understands Hill is keen to add more strength to his squad, with a left-footed winger and goalkeeper also on his summer shopping list.

Bollington-born Bailey started his career with Crewe in 2007 having graduated through the youth ranks at Gresty Road.

He played 46 times for the club before signing for Derby in May of 2010 in a joint £1million deal for himself and Crewe team-mate John Brayford.

And his first season with the Rams, Bailey won the club’s Young Player of the Year award. But an ankle injury early into his second season ruled the player our for three months – and he struggled to get back in the team thereafter.

And then, having played 58 games for the club, Bailey was transferred with a year left on his three-year contract with Rams boss Nigel Clough having deemed him surplus to requirements.

Meanwhile, the Reds’ hopes of keeping Butterfield at Oakwell were finally ended when the former Academy scholar found the chance to play in the Premier League too strong.

The Reds had offered the Bradford-born youngster an improved offer to stay at the club, but Butterfield – linked with a move to a number of other clubs – has decided his future lies with the Canaries.

Newcastle United, Sunderland, Everton and Reading were all rumored to be interested in the player.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It says he's been released. No chance of that. He must have done something to really annoy Clough though, as we have no back up at all in Midfield with any championship experience. Hendrick and Bryson are touted as the central pairing. Hughes being lined up for more appearances, but the lad is only 17. Bailey obviously lost form last season after injury, but he was a key player for us not so long ago.

Still confused about this one. Bryson and Hendrick are both unlikely to play every single game and I'm not sure I want them to anyway... Where's the back up if bailey goes?? We need to improve but don't even have squad players in reserve. Bit like the Shackell situation...we needed a centre half to make up for the loss of Barker - so we need two now surely??

Still confused about this one. Bryson and Hendrick are both unlikely to play every single game and I'm not sure I want them to anyway... Where's the back up if bailey goes?? We need to improve but don't even have squad players in reserve. Bit like the Shackell situation...we needed a centre half to make up for the loss of Barker - so we need two now surely??

Think it will be very much like shackell, bailey should attract a decent fee and I imagine he'd replace him with a cheap player who could fill in when Bryson or Hendrick don't play. Think Clough is gambling on OB really coming through this year meaning we don't need to replace Barker for the year

Think it will be very much like shackell, bailey should attract a decent fee and I imagine he'd replace him with a cheap player who could fill in when Bryson or Hendrick don't play. Think Clough is gambling on OB really coming through this year meaning we don't need to replace Barker for the year

Clough is gambling on a lot of things this year, bailey will leave for an.........undisclosed fee, he was fourth choice last season in a team that finished 12th, on transfer list n last season of his contract, we won't get a decent fee.

Clough is gambling on a lot of things this year, bailey will leave for an.........undisclosed fee, he was fourth choice last season in a team that finished 12th, on transfer list n last season of his contract, we won't get a decent fee.

He is but I think he has too really. I still think he would attract a decent fee he's still young and has potential and people pay money for that. If he doesn't attract the offers then we don't sell him, simple as that. We don't need too and he's certainly good back up.

I think the Savies Situation could have been Handled better if the club sold him then came out with the reasons for why i bet we would have got near a Million but now it could be anything around 500k as the club would rather take that than let him go for free in the Past derby fans barely got told Anything now we know too much which allows other Clubs to Exploit us.If they are going to public so often they need to state their Transfer Intentions as the majority have signed when Nigels stated his targets e.g Jacobs.

I think the Savies Situation could have been Handled better if the club sold him then came out with the reasons for why i bet we would have got near a Million but now it could be anything around 500k as the club would rather take that than let him go for free in the Past derby fans barely got told Anything now we know too much which allows other Clubs to Exploit us.If they are going to public so often they need to state their Transfer Intentions as the majority have signed when Nigels stated his targets e.g Jacobs.

I see what your saying but just because they haven't told the fans the reason doesn't mean the other clubs won't find out his contract situation as they probably will. They probably let it out in the public to avoid fans thinking we were selling our best striker for no reason

Im just Annoyed that Bailey and Davies could go burnley aswell.Saying a small time club can get our 3 best players for cheap just

shows derby going Backwards.I dont want derby to keep turning to 15/16 year olds as if we were the big club we should be due to all the Facilties we have and our Massive Fan Following we should be regulary producing above average players that should be sent out on loan.Players like Josh lelan and Kane Richards should be sent out on loan so we can see whether they would be any good for our first team rather than Gambling.I work in Nottingham and got Massive stick about the constant paper headlines stating derby give 15 year old a start agianst Middlesborough in a Competitive League Match.When Maguire couldnt even make the bench.Yet we saw him at portsmouth.Especially agianst Southampton.Her scored 2 in 3 starts im sure thats better than Van persies strike rate.I just hope than derby include Sell on clauses in all these players we are letting go especially maguire and Davies

Another one Cloughs been publicly hounding out!

Amazing they all seem to be his signings!

you mean he managed to sign players that have retained their value? Croft was free leaving for free, bailey who knows what portion of the joint 800k he was, but guessing not a lot as it was Brayford he was after for ages.

Addison, Davies arent his signings - I know he extended their contract.

Maybe there was no interest in him so they opened it up so there would be? If the player has personal reasons to leave it could effect his performance and it could be better to get a fee and not have a possibly upset player in the dressing room

Maybe there was no interest in him so they opened it up so there would be? If the player has personal reasons to leave it could effect his performance and it could be better to get a fee and not have a possibly upset player in the dressing room

MiddlesBorough and Ipswich were Interested him Before this.Plus Many people are unaware of the Important transfer news such as Derby rejecting Enquires for Hendrick and Brayford.From Norwich and Aston Villa.If a Player had to be sold i would have rather it be shackell than these Two

• 2 weeks later...

Theres an interview on ramsplayer with Clough talking about how he is happy with the midfield now, he names every player we have who can play in midfield except Bailey.

Think he still very much wants rid of him.

I was starting to think we might want to keep him.

I've got a Bailey shirt when they were offering that free shirt printing, I'm going to look a right plonker walking round the house in that. If he does go I'll be after a refund.

You fancy the pretty boyzs don't you?

Archived