I want an atmosphere

Dangerous

We can get a decent atmosphere though. We just don't do it enough.

Guarantee against forest, Leeds and West Ham the place will be bouncing.

The away thing is very true, as I mentioned before. Not sure how we don't travel as well considering our home attendance, and also considering we are one of the most centrally based football clubs in the country.

We don't travel well because we don't attract the type of fan in numbers anymore who would travel. Our home attendance as I have stated many times before is a bit false as we give so many away and is very old or family based in the main. The young population of Derby is losing interest in the club and it is something Glick and co need to address but he seems only interested in flogging discount tickets on pontsy middle-class websites. To be blunt the guy is clueless.

The atmosphere in the games you list will not be bouncing apart from you will get a lot of noise from Leeds for sure. The Forest atmospheres apart from the night Cup games in recent times have been far from special, not helped by the ridiculous kick-off times. The coffee cup 4-2 that was an atmosphere one of the best ever PP or BBG.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't travel well because we don't attract the type of fan in numbers anymore who would travel. Our home attendance as I have stated many times before is a bit false as we give so many away and is very old or family based in the main. The young population of Derby is losing interest in the club and it is something Glick and co need to address but he seems only interested in flogging discount tickets on pontsy middle-class websites. To be blunt the guy is clueless.

The atmosphere in the games you list will not be bouncing apart from you will get a lot of noise from Leeds for sure. The Forest atmospheres apart from the night Cup games in recent times have been far from special, not helped by the ridiculous kick-off times. The coffee cup 4-2 that was an atmosphere one of the best ever PP or BBG.

We stopped travelling well a few years ago though - well before Glick got here.

We have done in the past - I've been in a 6000 following to Coventry, 2000 to Plymouth. It happened.

I obviously don't go to games now but when I did I went for the football match not for the atmosphere..

And there are many more like me, I liked sitting up in South-West corner (The other side of away fans) as I got a good overall view of the pitch and it was fairly quiet.. I liked that and enjoyed watching a game of football..

Not knocking anyone questioning the atmosphere but you've got to realise many people are more interested in the football rather than singing and shouting at the top of your voice.. Big games bring more tension and nerves therefore in general it's quite rowdy but even then I was never one for standing up giving the away fans the V sign and acting all macho

Those that want a good atmosphere should all group together and carry on as normal, but it's unfair to expect people like me to join in as we're only interested in what goes on on the pitch..

I obviously don't go to games now but when I did I went for the football match not for the atmosphere..

And there are many more like me, I liked sitting up in South-West corner (The other side of away fans) as I got a good overall view of the pitch and it was fairly quiet.. I liked that and enjoyed watching a game of football..

Not knocking anyone questioning the atmosphere but you've got to realise many people are more interested in the football rather than singing and shouting at the top of your voice.. Big games bring more tension and nerves therefore in general it's quite rowdy but even then I was never one for standing up giving the away fans the V sign and acting all macho

Those that want a good atmosphere should all group together and carry on as normal, but it's unfair to expect people like me to join in as we're only interested in what goes on on the pitch..

I have to reply to this because in all my years I have never understood anyone going to watch Derby for the football (yes we have had really good teams in the last 25 years) - For me its about belonging... its my team! and I really miss the old Pop Side - Columbo End days!

We stopped travelling well a few years ago though - well before Glick got here.

We have done in the past - I've been in a 6000 following to Coventry, 2000 to Plymouth. It happened.

I agree the decline started well before he came. However in the last 2 seasons the home support has reached an all time low and his policies are the major factor in that.

I will tell u how to raise the atmosphere!! S/e corner get off the back off south stand block b ( nsba) and together support your team!!!

Stop banging on the boards at 100mph and slow down the singing!!! We r not in a race to finishit!! Get hands moving once more!! We dnt even raise our hands when singing anymore!!

Also DERBY COUNTY NEED TO STOP BEING SO HEALTH AND SAFETY CONSCIOUS and allow a drum into the stand to raise the atmosphere and keep a timing to the songs!!!

They say we not allowed a drum or anything in, or flags on poles cos of health and safety yet Leicester, Blackpool and others with new grounds allow it!!

But most of all we need to give a **** about making a atmosphere!!

Watch Brighton at home with the flags when next on TV the stadium is full of them.

FWIW - I agree with Uttox with the unreserved section. Perhaps instead of giving tickets away to people who don't REALLY want to go, lower the prices for this 'unreserved' section. Give it a name - give it to them iyswim, make it theirs. The New Popular Side - The New Columbo - I don't know. Give them the South Stand when it's empty of away fans. I hate to see that stand empty on telly.

FWIW - I agree with Uttox with the unreserved section. Perhaps instead of giving tickets away to people who don't REALLY want to go, lower the prices for this 'unreserved' section. Give it a name - give it to them iyswim, make it theirs. The New Popular Side - The New Columbo - I don't know. Give them the South Stand when it's empty of away fans. I hate to see that stand empty on telly.

The South Stand would seem the logical area but the authorities would not have it. They would rather there be no Derby fans in South Stand that's why they closed most of it.

The North Stand would avoid these difficulties and the families could be shifted to South Stand.

I stopped going away from home so often a while ago for the simple reason that the football was rubbish and I've got better ways to blow £100. Simple as that.

In terms of atmosphere, a load of Palace fans got together similar to the idea behind the Barmy Army last season. Whilst they fashioned themselves into the "CPFC Ultras" and take themselves ever so seriously, they didn't half make a noise and keep the atmosphere up the other Friday night. There looked to be about 100 of them and made a constant racket throughout (til we scored, he he)

They all stood together at the lower left had corner of the Holmsdale End, which is the big stand behind the goal (the two goals in that game were both scored the other end). I was impressed by them. They had a drum.

Unreserved end for singers. Doesn't really matter if you're sitting or standing.

The rest of the stadium for those who go to watch some 'football' (there's plenty of area's where you can get the exact same view, so choice would not be limited).

A drum.

Slower songs so anybody could join in, instead of trying to mumble a rap.

Original songs, not the same old tripe. "Somewhere's a shithole, I'm glad I''m at home", so embarrasing.

Send this to Tom Glick. It's American, he might understand it?

Wouldn't be such a bad idea creating an area where 16's - whatever age could congregate and have a good old sing song. Like Rebel Scum said earlier though, it appears that they might be trying to cancel it out by alienating people like that.

With the above video, there seems to be a bigger effort to be organised about the support effort.

People have complained about the goal music at Pride Park, so can't see the same kind of effort applied into pride park. Also, any of the music at Pride Park, who are they aiming that at? All of it is terrible! Most of that crap is the reason I don't listen to the radio, awful!

Anyway, it's not a small job. It's not just about singing a song, it's about having an area, people getting along and somehow identifying with the whole population of supporters so that everyone feels included.

My 10 easy steps to having a good home support:

1. Have a recognised "singing end" - here is where all the people who want to be noisy, who want to stand, who want to be the 12th man go. Everyone who's there to watch the game has 3/4's of the ground to choose from. This end should have a sizable percentage of unreserved seating to allow number 2 as follows - Season tickets can bought, however they only guarantee you entry to the "singing end", not a permanent seat" (the reason for this will become apparent towards the end of this list).

2. Attract the kind of fan that wants to do the above - mostly teenage lads from working class backgrounds. Reduce the on the day matchday prices for 16-25 year olds in the "singing end" unreserved section to £15 for the less glamourous fixtures to £20 for Forest/Leeds/Leicester et al.

3. Allow flags, banners, streamers, tickertape etc - in fact, actively encourage all fans in the "singing end" to bring the previously listed items.

4. Let the fans in the "singing end" do their own thing - tell the stewards to be relaxed about standing/swearing/drunkeness. By all means let them keep the aisles clear and enforce the rules regarding smoking and drinking within sight of the pitch, but give the fans some lee-way.

5. Come up with a repertoire of 10 decent songs - we don't need 4 verse epics, just something simple, catchy and above all UNIQUE. Away fans should come away from Pride Park wanting to emulate us - singing We Love You and Just Can't Get Enough will just make us a laughing stock. So far we've got 2. A drum although not my personal football ground favourite can work if done well/sparingly.

6. Demand the club get rid of goal music, Rammie banging that bongo to no recognisable beat whatsoever, kids reading out the teamsheet, the announcer saying "Come on youuuuuuuu Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaamsssssss" / "You beauty"

7. Have the away fans next to the singing end, but shoved in a corner - this allows them to witness the full brilliance of our support at close quarters, as well as allowing us to take the p*ss out of any pink shirted/fat/bald bloke in their number.

8. Turn off the P.A/music 20 minutes before the kick-off to allow the atmosphere to build (except for "so and so is missing, please find him" and "there's a fire, please leave immediately" announcements).

9. Get rid of the TV's in the concourse as an added incentive for fans to get to their (unreserved) seats earlier, not only to get a good spot, but to help build the noise earlier.

10. As fans, don't take yourselves too seriously, stand up, sing up, and get behind the side for the entire time you are in the stadium. You can always do your abusing of individual players/the manager on here, outside the ground or on Radio Derby.

Ta'.

My 10 easy steps to having a good home support:

1. Have a recognised "singing end" - here is where all the people who want to be noisy, who want to stand, who want to be the 12th man go. Everyone who's there to watch the game has 3/4's of the ground to choose from. This end should have a sizable percentage of unreserved seating to allow number 2 as follows - Season tickets can bought, however they only guarantee you entry to the "singing end", not a permanent seat" (the reason for this will become apparent towards the end of this list).

2. Attract the kind of fan that wants to do the above - mostly teenage lads from working class backgrounds. Reduce the on the day matchday prices for 16-25 year olds in the "singing end" unreserved section to £15 for the less glamourous fixtures to £20 for Forest/Leeds/Leicester et al.

3. Allow flags, banners, streamers, tickertape etc - in fact, actively encourage all fans in the "singing end" to bring the previously listed items.

4. Let the fans in the "singing end" do their own thing - tell the stewards to be relaxed about standing/swearing/drunkeness. By all means let them keep the aisles clear and enforce the rules regarding smoking and drinking within sight of the pitch, but give the fans some lee-way.

5. Come up with a repertoire of 10 decent songs - we don't need 4 verse epics, just something simple, catchy and above all UNIQUE. Away fans should come away from Pride Park wanting to emulate us - singing We Love You and Just Can't Get Enough will just make us a laughing stock. So far we've got 2. A drum although not my personal football ground favourite can work if done well/sparingly.

6. Demand the club get rid of goal music, Rammie banging that bongo to no recognisable beat whatsoever, kids reading out the teamsheet, the announcer saying "Come on youuuuuuuu Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaamsssssss" / "You beauty"

7. Have the away fans next to the singing end, but shoved in a corner - this allows them to witness the full brilliance of our support at close quarters, as well as allowing us to take the p*ss out of any pink shirted/fat/bald bloke in their number.

8. Turn off the P.A/music 20 minutes before the kick-off to allow the atmosphere to build (except for "so and so is missing, please find him" and "there's a fire, please leave immediately" announcements).

9. Get rid of the TV's in the concourse as an added incentive for fans to get to their (unreserved) seats earlier, not only to get a good spot, but to help build the noise earlier.

10. As fans, don't take yourselves too seriously, stand up, sing up, and get behind the side for the entire time you are in the stadium. You can always do your abusing of individual players/the manager on here, outside the ground or on Radio Derby.

Ta'.

1. There's only about 50 who want to sing now, as Nick and his boys have proved. Put them anywhere you like, and it'll still only be 50 who want to sing.

2. What's all this about only kids want to sing? Some of us ode uns would give you a run for your money, and if you're making sweeping generalisations, the majority of 16-25 yr olds I see at the match are too busy txting or taking pictures on their latest 'smart' phone to bother with singing.

3. Agreed

4. Agreed but won't happen, stewards go for them jobs because it gives them a feeling of power.

5. Easy to say, not so easy to do. Three little birds is great, but it never gets going because nobody else sings it.

6. Abso-bloody-lutely.

7. See 1

8. Yes, completely agree, the deafening PA drowns everything out, then when the game starts, everything just goes flat for the first half hour.

9. Not sure if that would make a difference.

10. Yep, I do my share of abusing on here, but at the game I love to sing, shout, curse the ref, stick the finger up at away fans etc.

1. There's only about 50 who want to sing now, as Nick and his boys have proved. Put them anywhere you like, and it'll still only be 50 who want to sing.

2. What's all this about only kids want to sing? Some of us ode uns would give you a run for your money, and if you're making sweeping generalisations, the majority of 16-25 yr olds I see at the match are too busy txting or taking pictures on their latest 'smart' phone to bother with singing.

3. Agreed

4. Agreed but won't happen, stewards go for them jobs because it gives them a feeling of power.

5. Easy to say, not so easy to do. Three little birds is great, but it never gets going because nobody else sings it.

6. Abso-bloody-lutely.

7. See 1

8. Yes, completely agree, the deafening PA drowns everything out, then when the game starts, everything just goes flat for the first half hour.

9. Not sure if that would make a difference.

10. Yep, I do my share of abusing on here, but at the game I love to sing, shout, curse the ref, stick the finger up at away fans etc.

1. The Kop, the Stretford End, the North Bank, the Gallowgate, the Cold Blow Lane End - a shadow of their former selves definately, but are still identified as where the singers/lads gather. A proper end looks a million times more impressive than a corner/side stand. Lack of singers to be rectified by number 2.

2. It was a bit of a generalisation, and yes I agree a lot of current teenagers at the match are of the flicky fringed, skinny jeaned variety. I know it probably can't be proven, but in my experience, lads from the "rougher" areas are more vocal than those from the posh areas. My point would allow these people to come out and see the Rams. Of course there are a few older gentlemen who like a sing song too, but i'm not sure how these people could be enticed back. Free pint maybe? I dunno. Someone more clever than me can solve this one.

3. Thank you.

4. True.

5. Again agreed, but given a little time and the right minds and we could think of something. The old chant thread on DET had some gems in it hidden amongst the general dross, but none of them ever took off. If other teams fans can come up with good stuff then so can we.

6. Glad you agree.

7. See 2. Basically I think we need an increase in number of singers. Who likes to sing? Blokes. P*ssed up blokes. And choir boys.

8. Good.

9. I was scraping the barrel at this point and 9 isn't a round number.

10. That's Cool and the Gang.

I'm going to stop numbering stuff now.

Archived