I want an atmosphere

Dangerous

And that's y!!! What effort did u make????

Cant get too as many games as i'd like and live miles away from Derby.

Made a lot of suggestions on here that, imo, if followed would have made a difference and joined in with many 'new songs' threads where nothing seemed to get started.

Not knocking you Nick, the effort you put in is unbelievable, but unfortunately the atmosphere wont change unless you go about things alot differently.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness to nick is there much more he can do? I have said this for a while, the atmosphere is a symptom of the almost total and abject failure of the club for a decade, people say about leeds and such, they have had a promotion relatively recently and not so long ago were competing at the very top. We have been struggling for a good while, 1 promotion in a decade, 2 relegations and 1 play off failure, the rest are relegation scraps except one year when we finished 14th. This has inevitably effected the atmosphere especially towards the end of the decade when people have simply grown tired of constant failure.

In fairness to nick is there much more he can do? I have said this for a while, the atmosphere is a symptom of the almost total and abject failure of the club for a decade, people say about leeds and such, they have had a promotion relatively recently and not so long ago were competing at the very top. We have been struggling for a good while, 1 promotion in a decade, 2 relegations and 1 play off failure, the rest are relegation scraps except one year when we finished 14th. This has inevitably effected the atmosphere especially towards the end of the decade when people have simply grown tired of constant failure.

I think it is more to do with the type of fan the club tries to attract. Mainly old people and families, young people are not attracted to the match en masse anymore at Derby the appeal is not there. If we did start to do well just more middle class and families would be attracted and the atmosphere would not improve too much.

I have put ideas on these forums before on what can be done and clubs like Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday, who have sunk lower than us have kept a core youth support, which helps atmosphere particularly away, where for the most part our support is a shadow of what it used to be and can be again.

I think it is more to do with the type of fan the club tries to attract. Mainly old people and families, young people are not attracted to the match en masse anymore at Derby the appeal is not there. If we did start to do well just more middle class and families would be attracted and the atmosphere would not improve too much.

I have put ideas on these forums before on what can be done and clubs like Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday, who have sunk lower than us have kept a core youth support, which helps atmosphere particularly away, where for the most part our support is a shadow of what it used to be and can be again.

You make good points about pricing teenage lads out of the game. For many, going with your parents to a match is ‘kiddie stuff’. But going to the match with your mates as a young teenager is exciting and just a bit dangerous. After that many tend to stick with their club for life – in spirit if not always in body.

The standard of football plays a big part in the atmosphere as well. There was a perfect example of this on Saturday. During the first half I was too busy doing other things to make a noise. I was checking my emails, fixing the zip on my jacket, and wondering where Fenton had disappeared to. The second half was different.

Another big factor in the loss of atmosphere is location of the away fans!!! Get them nearer the south easy corner!!! Instead of over on there own!!

Put them in the middle like they used to be and put general sales on the other side of them!!

If a group of 16-20 year olds ( say 6 of them) fancied going to a game together, what are the chances of them getting 6 together in s/e corner?? Nil!!!! Yet the font wanna be in north stand, or west stand, or even the east!! They want near the away fans!!

When we score we wanna see there eyes, we want them to see us taking the p1ss out of them! We want to smell there anger as we wind them up!!

But because in reality there is no-one to sing to we generally don't sing!!

Get them back nearer to us and watch the atmosphere lift in pp

The fans do 'play a part' - especially when their team go a goal down, or aren't playing well ...

Quote taken from t'internet today :-

'Davis said after the 1-1 draw that the 400 travelling fans played their part in another revival: "We are nothing without the fans and they were our 12th man today. They got behind the lads and encouraged them to keep going.

"That is what we need week-in week-out. They were very vocal and we were pleased to have got a result for them at the end."'

Get the away fans in the SE and us in the South I say!

Let them be huddled up singing into eachother off to one side sandwiched between Rams while we have a (would like a better word) kop. Adopt a BBG name for our South Stand.

Then the away fans can jump on the coaches outside rather than meet Derby people around the back of the stand risking a safety issue.

Won't happen though. "safety issues" lol.

Safer than how it is now!!! Bloody H&S numpties!

Get the away fans in the SE and us in the South I say!

Let them be huddled up singing into eachother off to one side sandwiched between Rams while we have a (would like a better word) kop. Adopt a BBG name for our South Stand.

Then the away fans can jump on the coaches outside rather than meet Derby people around the back of the stand risking a safety issue.

Won't happen though. "safety issues" lol.

Safer than how it is now!!! Bloody H&S numpties!

The North Stand would be the best option sensibly stewarded and away from the away fans. It is not the inane drivel normally directed at the away fans that would help the atmosphere, it is a proper area aimed at the young people of Derby where they could congregate get behind the team and get the atmosphere going. Families etc could move elsewhere.

It makes me laugh every time this does, 'move the away fans and put the home fans there because we'll sound louder'.

Err, no, it's the same people making the same noise.

You could put the 50 or so kids in the SE corner who sing anywhere in the ground you want, they'll still be the same 50 or so kids who want to sing.

The away fans sound louder because their louder fans from their support base are all together and usually drunk/out to have a good time (and their team is usually winning).

It's not because of some quirk in the accoustics that boosts their sound levels like a natural compressor.

Good points YR.

I've noticed loads of people looking woe-begon when they're talking to their mates about the run we've had. They look proper fed up. But hey, we play Leeds next at home don't we? So I hope this fact alone brings with it a much livelier atmosphere, as well as a result for us! The attendance might be higher for this one too.

Good points YR.

I've noticed loads of people looking woe-begon when they're talking to their mates about the run we've had. They look proper fed up. But hey, we play Leeds next at home don't we? So I hope this fact alone brings with it a much livelier atmosphere, as well as a result for us! The attendance might be higher for this one too.

Trouble is all the noise and atmosphere will come from the Leeds fans and to be fair to them they are these days second to nobody in terms of away support, as Man United are in decline.

Atmosphere at BBG was bloody dire at times - don't get swept away with the romance of a smaller ground, because it wasn't always the case.

It was when we were doing well, just the same as Pride Park. I remember the first game against Portsmouth in 07/08, the roof nearly came off when we scored, and it reminded me of the opening day in 96 when we drew with Leeds - electric.

I'm sure lots of people on this forum have been to a half full Brittania with no atmosphere - a world away from the ground that was rocking on Sunday when Stoke beat Spurs.

Leeds away last season - Elland Road was very quiet, and the upper tier of the main stand was cordoned off because they couldn't sell enough tickets. They travel well, that's undeniable, but unless United, Liverpool etc go to town, Leeds are generally not as boisterious as their reputation suggests.

Get safe standing, song sheets, shuffle people round, whatever. The simple fact is win, and folk will go bonkers. The people in the south east corner that are quiet now, I'm sure will have been in great voice when we were in the Premiership. Understandably, they've not got as much to shout about now.

Atmosphere at BBG was bloody dire at times - don't get swept away with the romance of a smaller ground, because it wasn't always the case.

It was when we were doing well, just the same as Pride Park. I remember the first game against Portsmouth in 07/08, the roof nearly came off when we scored, and it reminded me of the opening day in 96 when we drew with Leeds - electric.

I'm sure lots of people on this forum have been to a half full Brittania with no atmosphere - a world away from the ground that was rocking on Sunday when Stoke beat Spurs.

Leeds away last season - Elland Road was very quiet, and the upper tier of the main stand was cordoned off because they couldn't sell enough tickets. They travel well, that's undeniable, but unless United, Liverpool etc go to town, Leeds are generally not as boisterious as their reputation suggests.

Get safe standing, song sheets, shuffle people round, whatever. The simple fact is win, and folk will go bonkers. The people in the south east corner that are quiet now, I'm sure will have been in great voice when we were in the Premiership. Understandably, they've not got as much to shout about now.

At times the Baseball Ground was quiet like all grounds but in general there was no comparison to what we get today. In the early days of Pride Park there was decent atmosphere before the club took the easy option of getting decent crowds by going family orientated.

There is no doubt that when Leeds need or deserve it that Elland Road can still provide a decent atmosphere and doing well or not our away support has been poor for years.

At times the Baseball Ground was quiet like all grounds but in general there was no comparison to what we get today. In the early days of Pride Park there was decent atmosphere before the club took the easy option of getting decent crowds by going family orientated.

There is no doubt that when Leeds need or deserve it that Elland Road can still provide a decent atmosphere and doing well or not our away support has been poor for years.

We can get a decent atmosphere though. We just don't do it enough.

Guarantee against forest, Leeds and West Ham the place will be bouncing.

The away thing is very true, as I mentioned before. Not sure how we don't travel as well considering our home attendance, and also considering we are one of the most centrally based football clubs in the country.

Archived