Hello board ?

nfb

It was a flippant comment. People who go to other grounds as a neutral, for me, are a strange bunch - the trainspotters of football. You shouldn't go and support another team (which by giving them your money you are doing) unless you have some sort of passion for them, is my opinion.

You know as well as I do that 80% of the people who took up the offers weren't long standing returning fans and obviously I don't have any figures on it, I doubt DCFC themselves do. They were largely the Starbucks coffee, leave early, arrive late brigade who had nowt better to do on a Saturday afternoon. The kind who should stick to the cinema for something to do.

Yes, the "look at our fanbase" comment is a regular soundbite that comes from newly signed players, the manager, the board, and indeed fans. The same gets said by pretty much all newly signed players no matter what club they have joined. Just because it's constantly said, doesn't mean it isn't a load of b0llocks.

Yes, permanantly negative fans do my head in too.

My opinion is that I really love watching football, and if it can't be my team because they're not playing, I'll watch someone else. I'm always a neutral and don't see it as pumping money in to another club, I just see it as summat to do.

I don't know what 'type' of people they were at all. There were probably 8-10 new faces on Saturday round me and all stayed to the end, so I'm not sure they are leave early 'type'. There's plenty of people who arrive late and leave early with season tickets!

The attendance thing, I just don't understand. Firstly, we'd never get 23,000 in the top league. So if we started getting gates again of 33,000, would that upset you?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the impression he gave a lot of ST Holders last season with the money back speech end of last season and the famous Sean Barker like signings.

I don't honestly believe many ST holders had that impression. The message all along has been one of prudence rather than big spending.

We all like a moan at the board and Glick in particular, but I get the feeling Ianm that you have a slightly different agenda than most fans.

Are you PG?

Oh ok. I thought they were confident that we could build a squad that is competitive in this league, and if supporters didn't feel that was the case, they had the option to get money back on their season ticket.

We're 4th in the league, having just drawn against probably the best footballing team in there.

Board out.

It's not a case of board out in my eyes and I have never said that. The board have put a lot of money in to keep the club afloat as we have traded at a loss ever since they came in. So I think they have done well by us, I also think Clough has done a difficult job pretty well. It is the link between the 2 that I am far from convinced is performing well.

You know as well as I do that 80% of the people who took up the offers weren't long standing returning fans

There's business sense on focusing on the other 20% though. If they were to get a fraction of those returning as season ticket holders next season, it was a gamble that paid off.

There's no way to judge if it worked or not; but I can't see how it makes things any worse. So, the atmosphere wasn't great. Pretty much like most games then.

The attendance thing, I just don't understand. Firstly, we'd never get 23,000 in the top league. So if we started getting gates again of 33,000, would that upset you?

No.

That's a good point G'Boro, but why aren't they season ticket holders already? Why would watching one game make you go out and splash £300 or more to see us 23/19 times next season?

I don't honestly believe many ST holders had that impression. The message all along has been one of prudence rather than big spending.

We all like a moan at the board and Glick in particular, but I get the feeling Ianm that you have a slightly different agenda than most fans.

Are you PG?

No but I have looked at things a lot deeper on the financial side and a lot of things Glick says don't stack up. We will know a lot more when the next accounts are published as to exactly where we are.

Who cares if people turn up and don't sing.. The majority (ie. 70%) of the ground don't sing, why aren't you guys telling them to bugger off too? If I turned up, sat there and watched the game in silence for 90 minutes, why is that your problem? What have you got against that?

I watch football because I enjoy the football, I don't go there to spend 90 minutes trying to wind up people from a different part of the country..

Seriously, even when there are 23k, only around 8k actually want to sing..Others are happy to watch the game, talk to friends about the game and anything else football related.. They may even join in with the odd 'come on derby' but not everyone wants to stand up, arms aloft and shout at the top of your voice a few words.. I don't anyway, and if I did, I'd do it in my house or in the park..

I pay to watch a football match.. What's the big deal?

The only way people will join is by watching regular decent football.. Glick has every right to try and push out our support by offering free tickets and discounts.. How else are we going to fill a stadium? Good football + winning games = more fans.. Not the bloody atmosphere.

The only way people will join is by watching regular decent football.. Glick has every right to try and push out our support by offering free tickets and discounts.. How else are we going to fill a stadium? Good football + winning games = more fans.. Not the bloody atmosphere.

So if it was literally silent, no noise whatsover, no banter to be had, no amusing one liners from the crowd, you'd pay £30 to watch what is in the grand scheme of things a meaningless 2nd division game? The atmosphere plays a huge part in the "matchday experience" or whatever it's called. I can 100% guarantee if there was zero atmosphere, I would not go, ever.

No.

That's a good point G'Boro, but why aren't they season ticket holders already? Why would watching one game make you go out and splash £300 or more to see us 23/19 times next season?

Also are they going to pay £28 to £37 for any more matches when they have just watched one for £10 or nothing. I think we all know the answer in 99.99% of cases.

I know a bloke who went yesterday with a cheap ticket.

He's mid forties, took his son, who thoroughly enjoyed it and wants to go again.

This chap was a regular in the 80's but due to marriage and work commitments had to stop going.

He's got the bug and will be returning with his lad for several more games this season.

So if it was literally silent, no noise whatsover, no banter to be had, no amusing one liners from the crowd, you'd pay £30 to watch what is in the grand scheme of things a meaningless 2nd division game? The atmosphere plays a huge part in the "matchday experience" or whatever it's called. I can 100% guarantee if there was zero atmosphere, I would not go, ever.

The atmosphere plays bugger all.. It's the quality of play, plus the quality of opposition plus winning games.. Emirates and Old Trafford are libraries but I don't think they care when they get to see the likes of Rooney, Nani, RVP etc.. every week.. If it were for the atmosphere why don't Stoke and Spurs get 70k a week attendance?

Why do you think another 10k people watched us in the PL.. Do you think it was for the atmosphere or the quality of footballers on show? Of course it was for the football.

Would I pay $30 to watch us play? Perhaps not, I'm happy to watch us on the telly or via a stream.. But if theres an offer or discount that I could watch us for cheaper, of course I'd consider going.. Why is that a problem? I go to watch the football..

As do many others.. If we're struggling, we get 20k, if we're chasing promotion, we get 33k.. Why? For the quality of football plus winning games, not the atmosphere.

If were doing well, top 6, and you'd rather not go just because people aren't shouting and screaming at times insane chants, rather than be interested in the football, then that's just strange.. If you want an atmosphere, go down to the park with your mates, scream and shout at the ref for 90 minutes in unison, and there you have you atmosphere, free!

Also are they going to pay £28 to £37 for any more matches when they have just watched one for £10 or nothing. I think we all know the answer in 99.99% of cases.

Why do you think the supermarkets give away a bite of the baked goods on the sample trays? Because some people will get a taste, enjoy it, and want to buy the full product.

How many people go back next week and demand cheap baked goods because they were giving it away free last week? Certainly less than 99.99%, I think we can be sure.

Well I got a free pair of tickets for the game against Cardiff under Jewell. I hadn't been to a match for since the Barnsley away under BD before that I had been to 2 in the previous 7 years.

My daughter loved it and wanted to go again. I didn't argue and took my daughter wife and son to the next game I was off work - full price tickets. As the whole family enjoyed that we went to more and eventually bought the Young rams membership for the Kids when it became apparent it was worth doing for the discounts. We are now season ticket holders, only one qualifies for the free ticket, and we would still be ST holders if he didn't.

Just an example of how getting people in for free can create regular attendees and new ST holders.

Well I got a free pair of tickets for the game against Cardiff under Jewell. I hadn't been to a match for since the Barnsley away under BD before that I had been to 2 in the previous 7 years.

My daughter loved it and wanted to go again. I didn't argue and took my daughter wife and son to the next game I was off work - full price tickets. As the whole family enjoyed that we went to more and eventually bought the Young rams membership for the Kids when it became apparent it was worth doing for the discounts. We are now season ticket holders, only one qualifies for the free ticket, and we would still be ST holders if he didn't.

Just an example of how getting people in for free can create regular attendees and new ST holders.

Very rare situation the attendances on non-discount days over the last 2 years prove that. Even against teams like Leeds and Newcastle we have had average at best home attendances.

He's mid forties, took his son, who thoroughly enjoyed it and wants to go again.

This chap was a regular in the 80's but due to marriage and work commitments had to stop going.

He's got the bug and will be returning with his lad for several more games this season.

Yeah and that's what it's all about init.

Ill be honest and say I bought the deal, because it was there to be had.

Im not a season ticket holder due to working some weekends, so normally only go to games when im off or against teams that interest me.

I bet 99% there yesterday were true fans who for whatever reasons cant go to them all.

Why do you think the supermarkets give away a bite of the baked goods on the sample trays? Because some people will get a taste, enjoy it, and want to buy the full product.

How many people go back next week and demand cheap baked goods because they were giving it away free last week? Certainly less than 99.99%, I think we can be sure.

Again the attendances on non discount days show otherwise. The supermarket example is flawed, everybody has to eat, nobody has to attend Football Matches.

It was a flippant comment. People who go to other grounds as a neutral, for me, are a strange bunch - the trainspotters of football. You shouldn't go and support another team (which by giving them your money you are doing) unless you have some sort of passion for them, is my opinion.

So being a Derby fan, you're pretty much saying I shouldn't be watching Champions League games on TV?

I don't see a distinction with going to a game as a neutral, and watching a game on TV as a neutral.

OK then we shouldn't bother. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

The atmosphere plays bugger all.. It's the quality of play, plus the quality of opposition plus winning games.. Emirates and Old Trafford are libraries but I don't think they care when they get to see the likes of Rooney, Nani, RVP etc.. every week.. If it were for the atmosphere why don't Stoke and Spurs get 70k a week attendance?

Why do you think another 10k people watched us in the PL.. Do you think it was for the atmosphere or the quality of footballers on show? Of course it was for the football.

Would I pay $30 to watch us play? Perhaps not, I'm happy to watch us on the telly or via a stream.. But if theres an offer or discount that I could watch us for cheaper, of course I'd consider going.. Why is that a problem? I go to watch the football..

As do many others.. If we're struggling, we get 20k, if we're chasing promotion, we get 33k.. Why? For the quality of football plus winning games, not the atmosphere.

If were doing well, top 6, and you'd rather not go just because people aren't shouting and screaming at times insane chants, rather than be interested in the football, then that's just strange.. If you want an atmosphere, go down to the park with your mates, scream and shout at the ref for 90 minutes in unison, and there you have you atmosphere, free!

Way to rant about nothing.

I meant from a personal point of view, so you totally misunderstood my post. I'm not surprised though. Fans these days who go for the atmosphere, for the craic, for the laugh are in a massive minority. Instead our grounds are populated by thousands of people who take it all too seriously, spend endless amounts of time analysing the manager, the players, the published accounts...

No you may not care about what happens off the pitch, but to me it's more important than how many kilometres Craig Bryson ran, or how many **** first touches Theo Robinson made. There's still a few who care about showing their support, but sadly it's a miniscule percentage.

Oh well, soon we'll have 30,000 every week, all sitting there in silence analysing every pass, every shot and every tackle and football can finally be truly fun.

Frankly mate I don't believe that story and would he pay £28 to £37 to watch Southampton or Cardiff or Hull.

Archived