Hello board ?

nfb

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really?

I imagine the people that took up that deal will fall in to the following categories:

• People who don't support Derby, but went because either their own team wasn't playing, or they wanted an afternoon of entertainment - should they be told to f*ck off?
  • People who can't afford/justify a season ticket, and go when deals like this are on - should they be told to f*ck off?

I'm not going to criticise the club for doing the deal which got fans through the door, and I didn't actually think the atmosphere was too bad, but it could have been made better if they'd been housed together rather than scattered round the ground. Pride Park has suffered an atmosphere crisis for years, and I don't think it was any worse yesterday than it has been at plenty of other games over the last twelve months.

People go to football for different reasons - I go because it's something I've always done, and it's a big part of my weekend. Others will go to be entertained, and see it no different to watching a film, watching Rugby or going to a gig. There's nothing wrong with that, so you can't really say people should f*ck off for viewing football in a different way and taking advantage of these kinds of offers.

If we got to the Premiership and had 23,000 'diehards' every week, this forum would be inundated with people saying how bad our support is. If you would really prefer that, I imagine you'd be in the minority. Inevitably, as we play well, gates will rise over a long period of time.

Some of the unfamiliar faces near me got behind the team alot more than some of the 'diehard' idiots that are there every week giving the players abuse. My Grandma listens to every match on the radio and has half an idea of what she's talking about, and I'd say she's more diehard than some of the t*ssers sat behind me calling every bad pass, every substitution, and every goal conceded.

To your first bullet point, absolutely yes - being a football tourist should be made illegal.

To your second, no. I'm not slating everyone who took up the offers, i'm slating the people who only ever go if they get a freebie - big difference to loyal fans who have been priced out. Which if you'd read my original post properly you'd have realised.

Regarding your point about what would happen if we got in the Prem and only got 23,000, numbers of fans should not be taken as a measure of a clubs support.

It's silent, yet still somehow louder than Pride Park was yesterday.

You can't really judge the atmosphere by radio/TV. Just because it sounds quiet on the telly doesn't mean it would be like that in the ground - depends where the microphones are set.

You can't really judge the atmosphere by radio/TV. Just because it sounds quiet on the telly doesn't mean it would be like that in the ground - depends where the microphones are set.

True, but you can tell this is woeful - usually you see the away fans clapping or bouncing or something to at least indicate they are actually singing, here there is absolutely nothing.

True, but you can tell this is woeful - usually you see the away fans clapping or bouncing or something to at least indicate they are actually singing, here there is absolutely nothing.

I was in the Toyota Stand and all I could hear was the Southampton fans. To be honest we were under the cosh for most of the match and the crowd were holding their breath! We found it very difficult stringing passes together, unlike Southampton, and for some reason decided to give Lambert space every time he had the ball. You can't fault the effort or the team spirit, though, and when you lack real quality like we do at the moment, that's all you can ask. I'd love to see Cywka given a run in the team. He just seems to have that bit more of a spark. Theo may not be not be very skilful but what a shift he puts in. If Clough can just get him to pass the ball he will become a gem. Let's hope we attack Reading and get a few goals. The team has every reason to play with confidence. If they do, the fans will make a noise.

Incorrect YR, away fans normally bring 1000 to 2000 on a Saturday match (I accept not all teams do). I still expect a rebate off my season tickets to compensate for the freebies given out although I don't expect Mr Glick will do that for us fans who turn up week in and week out travelling 1000's of miles a season just to attend home games alone, let alone the travel to away games!

I presume the reason for the freebies was that the board were entertaining a potential investor, why else would you grade the match as a platinum fixture and then give tickets away - smart guys our board, so there will be more to this rather than just trying to entice people to come back. I would think there is a link to the external financing of Pride Plaza and the timing of the announcement regarding the development, get investors to the game and show them what big crowds we could attract.

Guesswork but probably some truth in this, Mr Glick isn't daft and he isn't Santa Claus, he's a businessman!

So far his record shows he isn't a very good one.

Atmosphere at Sunday lunch games is pretty much always dead. It is an awful time to show Championship Football.

To your first bullet point, absolutely yes - being a football tourist should be made illegal.

To your second, no. I'm not slating everyone who took up the offers, i'm slating the people who only ever go if they get a freebie - big difference to loyal fans who have been priced out. Which if you'd read my original post properly you'd have realised.

Regarding your point about what would happen if we got in the Prem and only got 23,000, numbers of fans should not be taken as a measure of a clubs support.

To your first point, I find that ridiculous. I live in London and whenever there's an international break, I might go and watch Wimbledon, Charlton etc. Not my clubs, but it's entertaining. Why the hell should that be made illegal? Why can't you be a casual fan? I'm sure Derbyshire CCC don't get regular supporters criticising if an offer is on to get people through the doors.

To your second point - I don't have the data of people who don't go every week, that did yesterday. Do you know how many were priced out supporters, how many were casual fans and how many don't even support Derby? I don't so if you do, let's share. There could have been 80% of people there yesterday that aren't usually because they can't afford it, so what do you think if that is the case? Surely then it becomes a fantastic promotion...

To your final point. I never said a club's size is based on the size of the attendances. I said that there'd be plenty on this forum who would be moaning if we only got 23,000 in the Premiership. And whilst I don't base a club's size on it's following, how many times do you hear 'we're a big club - look at our fanbase'?

The atmosphere at Pride Park has been rubbish for years, not sure why deals like this get so much negative feedback, when often games with no promotion are equally if not more dull/quiet/dispassionate. I'd say a problem bigger than casual/priced out fans, are one's who are negative throughout the whole game, every game.

Out of interest, is your low opinion of Glick solely related to ticketing issues?

No I think his record of both cutting costs quickly enough and raising income is open to severe question. Definitive conclusions will be able to be drawn when the next accounts are published but he certainly does not fill me with confidence that he knows Football and the way the people of Derbyshire think.

Also I despise the way he tells us what we want to hear, rather than a truer picture. I would much rather him say we are making losses, we can't afford to spend a lot until we have things under control, rather than string fans along in hinting major signings are on the way.

No I think his record of both cutting costs quickly enough and raising income is open to severe question. Definitive conclusions will be able to be drawn when the next accounts are published but he certainly does not fill me with confidence that he knows Football and the way the people of Derbyshire think.

Also I despise the way he tells us what we want to hear, rather than a truer picture. I would much rather him say we are making losses, we can't afford to spend a lot until we have things under control, rather than string fans along in hinting major signings are on the way.

I didn't hear that interview? Who did he say?

To your first point, I find that ridiculous. I live in London and whenever there's an international break, I might go and watch Wimbledon, Charlton etc. Not my clubs, but it's entertaining. Why the hell should that be made illegal? Why can't you be a casual fan? I'm sure Derbyshire CCC don't get regular supporters criticising if an offer is on to get people through the doors.

To your second point - I don't have the data of people who don't go every week, that did yesterday. Do you know how many were priced out supporters, how many were casual fans and how many don't even support Derby? I don't so if you do, let's share. There could have been 80% of people there yesterday that aren't usually because they can't afford it, so what do you think if that is the case? Surely then it becomes a fantastic promotion...

To your final point. I never said a club's size is based on the size of the attendances. I said that there'd be plenty on this forum who would be moaning if we only got 23,000 in the Premiership. And whilst I don't base a club's size on it's following, how many times do you hear 'we're a big club - look at our fanbase'?

The atmosphere at Pride Park has been rubbish for years, not sure why deals like this get so much negative feedback, when often games with no promotion are equally if not more dull/quiet/dispassionate. I'd say a problem bigger than casual/priced out fans, are one's who are negative throughout the whole game, every game.

Then why not find a price which is fair and people are willing to pay. Like you I go to other games when we are not playing and there were big pay on the day queues at Sheffield Wednesday last week at £22. £20 to £22 is fair and make that offer available to all fans and if you want to make further offers to ex-ST Holders or kids in deprived areas like yesterday then fair enough but that thing yesterday and the type of people it attracted should not ever be repeated.

Then why not find a price which is fair and people are willing to pay. Like you I go to other games when we are not playing and there were big pay on the day queues at Sheffield Wednesday last week at £22. £20 to £22 is fair and make that offer available to all fans and if you want to make further offers to ex-ST Holders or kids in deprived areas like yesterday then fair enough but that thing yesterday and the type of people it attracted should not ever be repeated.

How do you mean the type of people? Are they all the same type of person?

That's the impression he gave a lot of ST Holders last season with the money back speech end of last season and the famous Sean Barker like signings.

Oh ok. I thought they were confident that we could build a squad that is competitive in this league, and if supporters didn't feel that was the case, they had the option to get money back on their season ticket.

We're 4th in the league, having just drawn against probably the best footballing team in there.

Board out.

It was a flippant comment. People who go to other grounds as a neutral, for me, are a strange bunch - the trainspotters of football. You shouldn't go and support another team (which by giving them your money you are doing) unless you have some sort of passion for them, is my opinion.

You know as well as I do that 80% of the people who took up the offers weren't long standing returning fans and obviously I don't have any figures on it, I doubt DCFC themselves do. They were largely the Starbucks coffee, leave early, arrive late brigade who had nowt better to do on a Saturday afternoon. The kind who should stick to the cinema for something to do.

Yes, the "look at our fanbase" comment is a regular soundbite that comes from newly signed players, the manager, the board, and indeed fans. The same gets said by pretty much all newly signed players no matter what club they have joined. Just because it's constantly said, doesn't mean it isn't a load of b0llocks.

Yes, permanantly negative fans do my head in too.

Archived