Hello board ?

nfb

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well a debate can be had on the scruples of derby county wanting this kind of fan in the main, we can to a reasonable degree i think say not many would have spent in the club shop, I would imagine season ticket holders and regular ticket goers would have took advantage of discounts, we can use our logic to say that is the most likely outcome i think. However can we debate with facts and figures and say who is right and wrong on this for certain, no we cannot. We cannot bridge the is-ought gap in this circumstance, and trekkie i did state the odds are that programme sales would have gone up, however unless you have the facts you can't say for sure.

I have a problem with your opinion that taking advantage of an offer makes you less of a fan, you're obviously someone who measures how big a fan they are by how much money they spend. Ridiculous.

well a debate can be had on the scruples of derby county wanting this kind of fan in the main, we can to a reasonable degree i think say not many would have spent in the club shop, I would imagine season ticket holders and regular ticket goers would have took advantage of discounts, we can use our logic to say that is the most likely outcome i think. However can we debate with facts and figures and say who is right and wrong on this for certain, no we cannot. We cannot bridge the is-ought gap in this circumstance, and trekkie i did state the odds are that programme sales would have gone up, however unless you have the facts you can't say for sure.

How much money have I spent today?

How much money has my girlfriend spent today?

Use logic on that one.

I have a problem with your opinion that taking advantage of an offer makes you less of a fan, you're obviously someone who measures how big a fan they are by how much money they spend. Ridiculous.

not at all, I don't think how much someone spends is relevant to how big a fan they are, however the 33,000 attendances in the premiership are gone and I imagine a number of those people who left us in the previous couple of seasons because of our performance on the pitch would have taken advantage. If derby really want to reach out, why not offer £10 tickets to the poorest communities in the area? places like sinfin, normanton, people who have little money but want to support their team, why don't they do that?

How much money have I spent today?

How much money has my girlfriend spent today?

Use logic on that one.

, you are genuinely asking how much money you both have spent, or that your girlfriend spends all your money or the other way around i suppose, there are a number of options with that statement.

It's no trick question, your trying to guess how much money 5000 random people spent yesterday.

They may have spent feck all, they may have spent a quid each which put 5k in the bank.

I am not saying we can tell how much we have spent but logically we can assume they wouldn't have spent much in the shop. Catering and programmes are unknowable for us, the same with the shop but one can use logic to assume they wouldn't have spent much.

GSE are no mugs, otherwise they wouldn't be where they are now. Logical?

I am not saying G.S.E are mugs, this promotion wouldn't have been down to g.s.e though, it would be some of glick's marketing drones who came up with the idea and Glick would have approved it. I am not saying by the way that extra revenue wouldn't have come into the club.

Ian you make a few good points to be fair, but I don't see why us making less money than Forest and Leicester is of any relevance. TV money and outside investment surely far outweighs anything we can cook up from gate receipts?

I agree that the freebies and offers are wholly misguided. These fans who pitch up only when there are offers, can as far as i'm concerned f**k off. No matter how much people want to believe it, these people aren't all of a sudden going to have their heads turned to the wonders of our fine club by being given a ticket for free. It's either in their blood or it's not. It's been shown this season already that when we charge full price (which is way too much as it is by the way), these people don't want to know.

It's no coincidence that the atmosphere against Barnsley with 23k inside who are total die-hards was a million times better than it was yesterday with a bunch of 8,000 tourists and freeloaders inside. These people are just casual fans and hangers on and I don't want them here.

Of course there'll be some who went to the Southampton game yesterday who are die-hards who sadly can no longer afford to go to every game and simply took the opportunity to watch their team, but most of the extra fans will probably go home and never return.

Basically that post is a really badly worded way of saying, extra fans cannot be bought or made by dishing out cheap tickets.

Matchday Ticket income is now the highest income stream bigger than TV and commercial income. The TV money will be even less next season.

My post is trying to say that there is a way of saying that if a fair price is set then more income can be gained. I am not against giving out free tickets for the dis-advantaged kids who otherwise would not be able to go but yesterday was not about that.

I am not saying we can tell how much we have spent but logically we can assume they wouldn't have spent much in the shop. Catering and programmes are unknowable for us, the same with the shop but one can use logic to assume they wouldn't have spent much.

I completely disagree, and I believe the exact opposite is 'logically' assumable. Like I said before, someone who spots an offer may have been tempted by the shirt deal. Anyone who went for the first time would want a souvenir of their experience. You have potentially 8,000 people who haven't been to the ground yet this season, and this is the first time they've had a chance to go to the club shop this season.

I completely disagree, and I believe the exact opposite is 'logically' assumable. Like I said before, someone who spots an offer may have been tempted by the shirt deal. Anyone who went for the first time would want a souvenir of their experience. You have potentially 8,000 people who haven't been to the ground yet this season, and this is the first time they've had a chance to go to the club shop this season.

well 3,000 of those 8,000 were away fans, the ticket offer was a lot cheaper than normal tickets, and some free tickets to ex season ticket holders were also given out. Again one has to assume that the people who took advantage of this offer can either not afford the ticket prices or don't want to pay them, so one therefore has to presume that they either can't afford the merchandise in the shop or that they don't really care in which case why spend £30 on a shirt?

I am not saying club shop sales wouldn't have gone up, because i think they would have done because people who regularly go would have took advantage of the offers in the shop.

I'm going to confess that I haven't got an ST yet, however this is due to the complicated issue which is that I haven't got a steady job yet so I'm not sure I can afford one.

However, ironically I have spent almost half of the ST price on single tickets which are bloody expensive!

I have only missed one home game.

Though yesterday, I was in the South Upper, where I and many others had got cheap tickets. And I completely agree with ianm and Joe that most people were bandwagon jumpers there just because it was cheap.

You could hear a pin drop there, which was embarrassing.

Lots of families, people with their wives/girlfriends etc.

I'd rather have 23k making a lot of noise than 33k making silence any day.

It was a big game for Soton. Probably the biggest since we knocked em out of the play off semis in 2007.

Adkins will be more than chuffed by nicking a point, keeping them top and it will be the biggest attendance they will play in front of this season and they handled it well, so fair play to em.

Derby's young players have got to be able to maintain their form with the huge expectations of a big club. So'tons can play without fear knowing they are punching above their weight.

I still think we can, and will, improve as the season develops

They hardly nicked a point, they dominated the game for large periods.

If anyones punching above their weight, it's us. Yesterday and against Leicester showed how far behind we are the top teams in the division.

I standby what i said earlier, the extra atmosphere against barsnley was down to our wave after wave of attacks and efforts on goal.

If that was yester day then the 33000 making noise would have been greater than the 23000.

We had 23000 ish in all the other home games this season and the atmosphere in them was non existant too.

indeed, i was wondering if it was just me who thought southampton pretty much dominated the entire game after we scored, we had a 10 minute period at the start and 10 minutes after they scored but they dominated apart from that. I was happy with a point and we defended pretty well, apart from o brien who lambert pulled around all game and his rubbish clearance gave them the ball from which they scored.

well 3,000 of those 8,000 were away fans, the ticket offer was a lot cheaper than normal tickets, and some free tickets to ex season ticket holders were also given out. Again one has to assume that the people who took advantage of this offer can either not afford the ticket prices or don't want to pay them, so one therefore has to presume that they either can't afford the merchandise in the shop or that they don't really care in which case why spend £30 on a shirt?

I am not saying club shop sales wouldn't have gone up, because i think they would have done because people who regularly go would have took advantage of the offers in the shop.

Incorrect YR, away fans normally bring 1000 to 2000 on a Saturday match (I accept not all teams do). I still expect a rebate off my season tickets to compensate for the freebies given out although I don't expect Mr Glick will do that for us fans who turn up week in and week out travelling 1000's of miles a season just to attend home games alone, let alone the travel to away games!

I presume the reason for the freebies was that the board were entertaining a potential investor, why else would you grade the match as a platinum fixture and then give tickets away - smart guys our board, so there will be more to this rather than just trying to entice people to come back. I would think there is a link to the external financing of Pride Plaza and the timing of the announcement regarding the development, get investors to the game and show them what big crowds we could attract.

Guesswork but probably some truth in this, Mr Glick isn't daft and he isn't Santa Claus, he's a businessman!

Incorrect YR, away fans normally bring 1000 to 2000 on a Saturday match (I accept not all teams do). I still expect a rebate off my season tickets to compensate for the freebies given out although I don't expect Mr Glick will do that for us fans who turn up week in and week out travelling 1000's of miles a season just to attend home games alone, let alone the travel to away games!

I presume the reason for the freebies was that the board were entertaining a potential investor, why else would you grade the match as a platinum fixture and then give tickets away - smart guys our board, so there will be more to this rather than just trying to entice people to come back. I would think there is a link to the external financing of Pride Plaza and the timing of the announcement regarding the development, get investors to the game and show them what big crowds we could attract.

Guesswork but probably some truth in this, Mr Glick isn't daft and he isn't Santa Claus, he's a businessman!

we were talking about this particular match which the away team bought 2,700 and away teams this season apart from birmingham and southampton have bought about 1,000 or less.

I standby what i said earlier, the extra atmosphere against barsnley was down to our wave after wave of attacks and efforts on goal.

If that was yester day then the 33000 making noise would have been greater than the 23000.

We had 23000 ish in all the other home games this season and the atmosphere in them was non existant too.

Definately a contributing factor, but another example - Millwall in the FA Cup replay last year with 8,000 there or whatever it was - hardly a pulsating end-to-end match and there was a better atmosphere than 90% of the games that season which had 3 times that number attend.

Archived