Hello board ?

nfb

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely believe it. Birtles said he dreaded playing at Pride Park. Some national coaches move the national stadium to somewhere where they think they're going to get a better atmosphere. Stoke's home form isn't coincedence...neither are Turkish club's home form in Europe, I've never seen an away side look properly calm there. Why do managers and coaches ask the fans to get behind the players, why would Bryson say it felt brilliant playing with such an atmosphere against Barnsley, why does Theo always seem to run marginally faster when we all shout "GWAN FEO", why in our rivalry with Forest is it that the home team almost always wins...

When fans are nervous and egdy, so are the players. When the fans are relaxed and supportive, the players play better.

For me, there is nothing more fundamental about the game.

I'm not expecting fans to sing, I just don't get how fans can contain themselves when we're not playing well. I can get booing in that respect. But just sitting there? I don't want them to sing for my benefit, I want the players to have a home advantage of my team.

The noise of everyone chanting isn't too loud for chatting anyway. I'm not asking for stuff like Japan or Africa. I talked a lot about the game to my Dad at Wembley and still lost my voice through giving my all to let my players know I was behind them.

Stoke make the pitch smaller to use home advantage..

Man Utd won 3-0 in Turkey last year, plus a Turkish side hasn't won a European competition since.. I don't know.

National coaches don't move the games, the football association of that country does.. And they move the games to places where they can make the most money..

Managers say get behind the players, as oposed to booing them.. That makes sense.. But for those that sit in silence, it has no bearing.. If it did, Fergie would tell the fans at Old Trafford everyweek.. Fact is, it's a library, and they still win everygame.

You think Theo runs fast if someone says his name? Hell, next Olympics, lets get a continous chant of names going for our athletes.. They'll surely run faster..

Chanting can add extra motivation, sure.. If someone is being a lazy f*ck, and they get some stick, then perhaps they'll do something about it.. However chanting does not increase a players ability to play football or do any other sport for that matter.. In my opinion of course.

Craig Bryson gives 100% everygame, chanting his name isn't going to make him play better..

Well most of Sheff Weds attendances have been in the 16k range, that game had an attendance of 24.5k.

Which goes to show it is possible to get good matchday sales if you pitch the prices right and the team is heading in the right direction.

Stoke make the pitch smaller to use home advantage..

I never claimed it was only the atmosphere.

Man Utd won 3-0 in Turkey last year, plus a Turkish side hasn't won a European competition since.. I don't know.

Didn't watch that game and I know some English and Spanish clubs have gone and conquered there but they've made absolute mince meat of some sides who are clearly better than them. And I hope you don't honestly believe that I'm arguing that atmosphere is the only reason why teams succeed? I am aware of the fact that there's away legs in Europe, believe it or not!

National coaches don't move the games, the football association of that country does.. And they move the games to places where they can make the most money..

Some coaches have done, and my point still stands no matter who does it. Maradonna did it, Wales have done it, Germany have done it.

Managers say get behind the players, as oposed to booing them.. That makes sense.. But for those that sit in silence, it has no bearing.. If it did, Fergie would tell the fans at Old Trafford everyweek.. Fact is, it's a library, and they still win everygame.

Again, never argued that atmosphere is the only thing to do with success. Seems like you're trying to make my argument look more stupid than it is to exaggerate your point. Teams like United and Barca could play infront of anyone and win.

You think Theo runs fast if someone says his name? Hell, next Olympics, lets get a continous chant of names going for our athletes.. They'll surely run faster..

Yes, because I've seen it! And yeah...urm.,..would you seriously not try and shout for your own nation's athletes if you went to the Olympics!? It might not make such a difference there, but if you're playing for a club, you're going to want it a little bit more if the club is behind you and if you think you're going to get clapped just for giving everything. In the Olympics, your reward is your medal, and nothing else.

Chanting can add extra motivation, sure.. If someone is being a lazy f*ck, and they get some stick, then perhaps they'll do something about it.. However chanting does not increase a players ability to play football or do any other sport for that matter.. In my opinion of course.

I'm not saying chants like "Park Ji Sung wherever you may be, eat your dog in your own country..." is going to help players score a hat trick, that's fair enough and I completely understand familes not wanting their kids hearing offensive chants. But what's wrong with "Come on Derby!" or "Super Tommy Cywka", just every now and again at the very least?

Craig Bryson gives 100% everygame, chanting his name isn't going to make him play better..

Well he says it does. Maybe he's lying? Not doubting he's giving 100% whatever the atmosphere, but you do play better with a smile on your face.

So why does my gym offer me special 6 week tasters for half price? It's a luxury item in the same way as a football match is.

They do it because they want to get footfall through the door, generate interest in the product, and sell more. Simples.

Why would someone sign up for a gym membership at £30 per month when they've just had 6 weeks for £20? Because once you get people in the front door to see what your product is, you can try to get them to buy. If they don't come through the door, they'll never become a customer.

It's a fallacy to say that people won't pay the full price because you've given them a discount in the past. It's clearly not true. It happens all over the place. It's called marketing.

where did I say people people won't pay full price I believe the majority of people who this is aimed at won't come back unless we are successful or ticket prices drop, again though you can argue the gym is completely different from the football and a pretty poor example to prove your point.

How is it?

They are both lifestyle choices?

you go to the best gym you can afford simple as, where as football is completely different to that in my opinion, a gym doesn't require loyalty as such if a gym goes bad you move to another one but if that happens with the supporters we entice that is no good, plus a number of other reasons.

I've felt a rush of adrenaline and taken on players I didn't think I could when hearing a roar from the crowd, and that was three of my mates and a fat bald bloke on the side of the five a side pitch I was on. If you think the crowd getting behind the players and roaring them on at key moments doesn't help at least a little bit then you're wrong - wrong I tell you!

The thing is, at the very top level, it shunt matter. Professional footballers on £50k+ per week should be expected to perform to a high standard , home or away. Thats what you pay for.

Lower down the scale it does matter. Any one who has played football at any level knows you can be inspired to give that extra against your biggest rivals.

I imagine the roar of the crowd would make you run through brick walls. it would me.

you go to the best gym you can afford simple as, where as football is completely different to that in my opinion, a gym doesn't require loyalty as such if a gym goes bad you move to another one but if that happens with the supporters we entice that is no good, plus a number of other reasons.

How do you achieve loyalty? You make it sound like people are born as football fans.

Until people set foot through the door, they won't become customers.

How do you achieve loyalty? You make it sound like people are born as football fans.

Until people set foot through the door, they won't become customers.

but generally people won't stay loyal to a gym if the gym goes down the drain. Derby want to keep these people if the team goes down the drain, generally the people who took advantage of the offer derby made have already been customers and have decided not to pay full price to watch the team or that it is too expensive. I would rather derby give free tickets to the poorest communities in the city than to have offers like these. Also it seems at the moment you are commenting on every comment i make.

but generally people won't stay loyal to a gym if the gym goes down the drain. Derby want to keep these people if the team goes down the drain, generally the people who took advantage of the offer derby made have already been customers and have decided not to pay full price to watch the team or that it is too expensive. I would rather derby give free tickets to the poorest communities in the city than to have offers like these. Also it seems at the moment you are commenting on every comment i make.

Once someone buys a season ticket for a team, I think you've just about hooked them for life. They're not going to become Forest fans because they're doing better than we are.

And 2957 < 6388. You probably will find that for every post I've made in response to you, you've replied, which makes you just as bad.

Once someone buys a season ticket for a team, I think you've just about hooked them for life. They're not going to become Forest fans because they're doing better than we are.

And 2957 < 6388. You probably will find that for every post I've made in response to you, you've replied, which makes you just as bad.

where is the proof any of them buys season tickets? if they can't afford or don't want to pay full price for a ticket why would they buy a full season ticket? Also season ticket holders are not hooked for life, our season ticket sales vary quite drastically when we are successful and then when we start to struggle.

Your logic is again faulty, you are remarking on a number of my posts recently, post count has nothing to do with it, I am posting on different topics of which you are not a part of and you constantly respond, it is like having a stalker except on the internet forum 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

YoungRam, you are the most vocal person on the forum. We can't shut you up. For you to criticise ANYONE for posting is bl**dy hypocritical!

How can you in the one breath talk about football being a loyalty driven pastime but then in the next post suggest that once someone purchases a season ticket they'll turncoat and switch allegiance? Makes no sense at all.

There is already several anecdotal comments on this very thread that people come to matches and end up taking a season ticket. If you don't believe any of them are true, I can confirm it is the case. Season ticket sales may well be up and down, a bit like our performance year on year (what a surprise) - are you honestly suggesting to me that those people who decline to renew their season ticket are down to another club, buying one there? Or do you think that most ex-season ticket holders who choose not to renew actually stop going to games?

Faulty logic? Are you for real?

YoungRam, you are the most vocal person on the forum. We can't shut you up. For you to criticise ANYONE for posting is bl**dy hypocritical!

How can you in the one breath talk about football being a loyalty driven pastime but then in the next post suggest that once someone purchases a season ticket they'll turncoat and switch allegiance? Makes no sense at all.

There is already several anecdotal comments on this very thread that people come to matches and end up taking a season ticket. If you don't believe any of them are true, I can confirm it is the case. Season ticket sales may well be up and down, a bit like our performance year on year (what a surprise) - are you honestly suggesting to me that those people who decline to renew their season ticket are down to another club, buying one there? Or do you think that most ex-season ticket holders who choose not to renew actually stop going to games?

Faulty logic? Are you for real?

it isn't hypocritical at all, i don't comment consistently on a particular person's comments unlike yourself. Where did I call football a loyalty driven past time? you exaggerate because your argument is about as thin as a single piece of paper, again many of the people who take advantage of these offers have already been before and not bought a season ticket or did when we were flying high but gave up when we were struggling. I don't know what happens to ex season ticket holders, I do know one who simply declines to go anymore, again where did I say that our season ticket holders go to another club? i am saying that not all season ticket holders are hooked for life, and that the vast majority who take up these offers won't buy a season ticket and will only come back when we are flying high or there is another deal.

Where did I call football a loyalty driven past time?

"a gym doesn't require loyalty as such" - unlike a football team. Gist of what you said.

Nobody is suggesting that 100% of people who take up an offer will return as ST holders. But some will. Even if a small number do, it's excellent marketing from GSE.

When I'm walking round Morrison's, I'll eat some of the fancy bun that they cut up and leave on the counter. I personally won't go buy a fancy bun. But obviously some people will try it, enjoy it, and go buy one. Excellent marketing from Morrisons. Per your argument, why would anyone try a bit for free then go and buy one? Why would someone go to a gym for 6 weeks for cheap, then join at full price? Well, they do. All the time.

YR, argument lost.

There are a lot of people who would like to buy a season ticket but can't. Either they can't afford it or they have work or some other responsibilities which prevents it. In either case I believe if they are occasionally given a chance to go to watch their team play with these ticket offers they will. Many of them will buy a season ticket first chance they get.

At least that is the case in Finland. When I had a season ticket I didn't mind that sometimes these offers were made because I wanted a season ticket so I knew I had a ticket for every game with a good seat. In the long run a season ticket will be cheaper anyway.

Archived