Hello board ?

nfb

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is that relevant if you had a freebie and wanted to go again why not a night match.

I've lost the plot with this forum at the moment, because all the arguments are lame and go around in circles, but I believe he was referring to the atmosphere of a night match being more vocal.

And I am mentioning Sky, what's the difference. You're turning into ianm.

Ouch!

I was saying that by watching a game on ITV (a "free" channel) you do not directly fund Man Utd/whoever and therefore it's not the same as giving them £30 in ticket money which is what I thought you were arguing against?

But then our wires got crossed and you were on about Sky so it was a misunderstanding is all.

So why does my gym offer me special 6 week tasters for half price? It's a luxury item in the same way as a football match is.

They do it because they want to get footfall through the door, generate interest in the product, and sell more. Simples.

Why would someone sign up for a gym membership at £30 per month when they've just had 6 weeks for £20? Because once you get people in the front door to see what your product is, you can try to get them to buy. If they don't come through the door, they'll never become a customer.

It's a fallacy to say that people won't pay the full price because you've given them a discount in the past. It's clearly not true. It happens all over the place. It's called marketing.

But it hasn't worked in the last two years in Derby County's case has it. The gates on non-freebie days and the published total gate income figures prove not too many are paying the £28 to £37 matchday prices.

But it hasn't worked in the last two years in Derby County's case has it. The gates on non-freebie days and the published total gate income figures prove not too many are paying the £28 to £37 matchday prices.

If it helps put your mind at ease, I paid £33 for the Birmingham game.

Don't ask us, ask all the football fans who don't go on mid-week games.

Mid-week games always have lower attendances. Always. You must know that, come on!

...because not everyone lives in Derby.

And if we're playing a team 150 miles away on a Tuesday, I imagine not everyone has a lovely boss that will let them leave early to get to it.

This thread seems to be getting a little carried away, so this will be my last on the subject. I think that:

• We didn't lose anything by having those extra people there (including atmosphere)
  • We got a decent crowd
  • It may tempt a few back (as per Uttox Ram's mate)

Who cares if people turn up and don't sing.. The majority (ie. 70%) of the ground don't sing, why aren't you guys telling them to bugger off too? If I turned up, sat there and watched the game in silence for 90 minutes, why is that your problem? What have you got against that?

I watch football because I enjoy the football, I don't go there to spend 90 minutes trying to wind up people from a different part of the country..

Seriously, even when there are 23k, only around 8k actually want to sing..Others are happy to watch the game, talk to friends about the game and anything else football related.. They may even join in with the odd 'come on derby' but not everyone wants to stand up, arms aloft and shout at the top of your voice a few words.. I don't anyway, and if I did, I'd do it in my house or in the park..

I pay to watch a football match.. What's the big deal?

The only way people will join is by watching regular decent football.. Glick has every right to try and push out our support by offering free tickets and discounts.. How else are we going to fill a stadium? Good football + winning games = more fans.. Not the bloody atmosphere.

But surely if you're at a game, and the team you support needs a lift, and you have the means to do that in your throat....well why the hell wouldn't you?

I'm not saying people shouldn't go but it's fustrating when if 30,010 could just get behind the team even for a minute and just see what happens.

Do you think the Southampton players ignored their fans? I certainly don't. They made sure their players heads didn't drop.

I just can't imagine watching my team play and not doing something about it when I can.

Don't ask us, ask all the football fans who don't go on mid-week games.

Mid-week games always have lower attendances. Always. You must know that, come on!

Not by huge amounts though sure less kids can go for obvious reasons I am not so sure it affects the amount of adults who can go significantly. In fact plenty who work on a Saturday actually can go to midweek matches.

Not by huge amounts though sure less kids can go for obvious reasons I am not so sure it affects the amount of adults who can go significantly. In fact plenty who work on a Saturday actually can go to midweek matches.

Mate, anyone who normally travels by train, cannot get a train home at 10pm. Of course it's less accessible.

I don't agree last accounts 09/10 season gate income 6.7 million average gate 29,000 average price of ticket before VAT £11. That is not maximising income that is failiure when you take into account the average price per customer in the first season at Pride Park 1997/98 was £14 in the days of no freebies. Mr Keith Loring was not a man for freebies and still is not at Derbyshire.

People on the whole have less money now for starters, i swear i heard something about a recession? Also didnt we finish 9th in the premier league that season? Little easier sell dont ya think....

Mate, anyone who normally travels by train, cannot get a train home at 10pm. Of course it's less accessible.

and youre more likely to be working in the week.....its a late night unless you live pretty close..... derby had the 4th highest gate in the whole football league yesterday....i can understand folk are abit peeved cos they payed more but....f*ck it....it wont happen every week and we get the stadium full...... sell more pints and pies and that

You can't tell that from the figures.

We have no idea of how many didn't renew and were replaced by new season ticket holders.

We know how many renew before early bird date but not how many of ST holders are new or not of the few thousand that buy after renewal date.

It is possible that we have a large amount of brand new season ticket holders, or some coming back after an absence.

YR, if people can't afford a full price match ticket they could well get a freebie/discount several times and love it. They could then decide to save up and buy a season ticket, or go for one on a payment plan which makes it affordable and cheaper per game.

You can't tell that from the figures.

We have no idea of how many didn't renew and were replaced by new season ticket holders.

We know how many renew before early bird date but not how many of ST holders are new or not of the few thousand that buy after renewal date.

It is possible that we have a large amount of brand new season ticket holders, or some coming back after an absence.

YR, if people can't afford a full price match ticket they could well get a freebie/discount several times and love it. They could then decide to save up and buy a season ticket, or go for one on a payment plan which makes it affordable and cheaper per game.

Somehow I don't see any of that happening to often. The extremely low ticket income points to two main factors.

1. Season Ticket Holders at old held low prices renewing in large numbers (new ST holders pay more)

2. A huge proportion of the rest of the attendance either on a freebie or huge discount.

Yesterday took this to a whole new level and in Football Supporting terms it was **** central in the West Stand. People with kids as young as 2, who clearly didn't want to be there, a guy in a suit in front of me didn't even make it to half-time. A stream of people leaving (a good game in my view) from 15 mins to go onward. Moans at every slight error, I think some expected Barcelona standard football.

If they continue with much more of this then I for one will stop going. I know fotball is not what it was but yesterday is beyond what can be tolerated.

I didn't have an issue with having a 33k crowd yesterday.

Let's spread the word on our new young team and see if we can gain some revenue from these extra fans, either from spend yesterday or from future attendance.

And I'm a season ticket holder.

I should be going to the Pompey game and if I can get hold of a couple of cheaper tickets then fair play. For this game, I will be flying over from Istanbul. I actually had a season ticket for countless years while living here but couldn't justify one this year. Does that make me a fairweather fan nowadays then? Does that mean I won't be welcome by some of you lot in a couple of weeks time? When I lived in Derby, I went to almost every match home and away (Southampton, Plymouth, Newcastle etc cold Tuesday nights), watched the Rams in Europe inc pre-season frıendlies in Holland, Belgium as well as Anglo Italian cup games in Italy in the early 90s. So, if some of you see me or people like me at the Portsmouth game who you may not have seen before, think that maybe those very same faces were home and awayers and very loyal fans long before you were even swimming around in yer dad's sack but through reasons unbeknown to you can not make games every week now.

Ian,

The number of renewals before deadline has been a fee thousand below the season total every season for the past three. There has been a similar amount of late buyers each season These are either late renewals or new but in both cases pay the higher price. We have no way of knowing what proportion are new season ticket holders replacing ones that didn't renew.

Somehow I don't see any of that happening to often. The extremely low ticket income points to two main factors.

1. Season Ticket Holders at old held low prices renewing in large numbers (new ST holders pay more)

2. A huge proportion of the rest of the attendance either on a freebie or huge discount.

Yesterday took this to a whole new level and in Football Supporting terms it was **** central in the West Stand. People with kids as young as 2, who clearly didn't want to be there, a guy in a suit in front of me didn't even make it to half-time. A stream of people leaving (a good game in my view) from 15 mins to go onward. Moans at every slight error, I think some expected Barcelona standard football.

If they continue with much more of this then I for one will stop going. I know fotball is not what it was but yesterday is beyond what can be tolerated.

I agree it was a good game - excellent.

There are plenty who leave early - the guy who sits next to me - he's a season ticket holder.

I wouldn't get so uptight about this issue if i were you - and there is no way it should be a reason to stop going. You can't make people share your level of enthusiasm or expect them to share you view of what they find entertaining. The bloke behind me doesn't jump up when we score - but that's ok - i know he's a proper fan.

If you don't attend matches because you are cross at what others are paying or whether they are enjoying it in the correct manner - who will miss out?

Nobody will beg you to come back.

(Except Tom Glick)

Archived