Steve Davies

Subman

Being an effective Championship striker is all about a good first touch and good hold up play. Davies has a good finish and a hammer of a left foot, but this isn't everything you need to score lots of goals in this division.

I think Cywka and Robinson should play up front. Theo can hold the ball up to some extent, and Cywka has at least some speed and technical ability. Against the lesser team's defences it will be effective.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being an effective Championship striker is all about a good first touch and good hold up play. Davies has a good finish and a hammer of a left foot, but this isn't everything you need to score lots of goals in this division.

I think Cywka and Robinson should play up front. Theo can hold the ball up to some extent, and Cywka has at least some speed and technical ability. Against the lesser team's defences it will be effective.

I agree. However, Theo has to get better. I love his effort and his attitude but he needs to develop better touch, see the quick pass and compose his shooting. My greater concern has been that in the last two games, against good

central midfield players, we have been taken apart. We need to free Bryson up to support the front two and to play the 'killer' ball to them. I also think Ben Davies needs to time his crossing far better. He is too keen to blast it into the full back to get a corner kick which allows the opposition defence to organise itself. Isn't it great though that we are having this argument whilst 4th in the table!

Cant stand posts like this, it's a forum, people post opinions on all aspects of the club. If i think Theo Robinson and Steve Davies are **** i'll say so. 'Not even Steve Howard won headers' - seriously? That's all Howard did do. Howard won more headers in a game than Steve Davies has done all season. Scoring one goal is all what counts in the game, another ludicrous statement.

I do support the players, even the crap ones.

My point was that neither Howard or Raziak won much when the ball was lumped up field for them to head on (my opinion).

Howard was great when he had the ball to chest or feet with his back to goal and could hold off defenders when in that position, He was also good attacking a cross into the box.

I'll be the first to admit that Davies isn't as strong in that department as Howard - he's better when facing goal with ball to feet.

Theo seems to be a bit like marmite - people seem to love him or hate him. His first touch isn't that good, and neither is his decision making but that can be worked on. If you watch him during the game he's always looking to the bench for guidance and advice.

Personally I think he's done ok, and probably better than most expected. My point on Theo was that he did what he is ultimately there to do, and that is put the ball in the net.

By the way, like most other supporters I do think we need a better striker than we have.

Robinson is a scapegoat.

Everyone stood round me at forest was saying how well he was playing, then when we're not so good, it's easier to pick him out than someone like Hendrick, who in my opinion was totally pedestrian against Leicester. It might not be fashionable to lay the blame with popular players, but sometimes it's totally justified.

I thought Davies was a much bigger problem on Saturday than Robinson - he wasn't making any effort to win headers, hold up the ball - infact the only thing he put his back in to was the free kick he took, because he's got a powerful shot.

Having said all that, he does seem at his most effective coming off the bench after an hour, when the opposition are starting to tire, and I'd like to see him used more like that.

Robinson is a scapegoat. Everyone stood round me at forest was saying how well he was playing, then when we're not so good, it's easier to pick him out than someone like Hendrick, who in my opinion was totally pedestrian against Leicester. It might not be fashionable to lay the blame with popular players, but sometimes it's totally justified. I thought Davies was a much bigger problem on Saturday than Robinson - he wasn't making any effort to win headers, hold up the ball - infact the only thing he put his back in to was the free kick he took, because he's got a powerful shot. Having said all that, he does seem at his most effective coming off the bench after an hour, when the opposition are starting to tire, and I'd like to see him used more like that.

Exactly. Davies was ***** on Saturday. I know the service to him didn't help but at least Theo went looking for the ball as apposed to waiting for people to put it on a plate for him. I know he's bagged a few this season but take those away and does he do as much for the team as Theo does??? At least Theo has movement (regardless if it's the headedless chicken variety sometimes) but a defender will always prefer being up against an attacker who basically stands still with his back to goal, much easier to defend. Davies made Fonte' look like Ferdinand, Maldini & Bobby Moore rolled into one...

Completely agree, the only noise half the fans made was the sound of moans and them getting on the players backs, even when we were 1-0 up. I'd prefer the 24,000 that turned up at Barnsley than todays 33,000 any day. Where did those 9,000 come from? Decided to 'support' the team now we're doing well?

Actually, I was one of the 8000-9000 extra, and one who attended using the Groupon deal as it was a bargain and the club and fans would be stupid not to try this kind of thing every now and again. I can't afford to regularly get to games and this for me and many others was a great opportunity.

Would you rather have 24,000 or 33,000 with 9,0000 paying £10 per ticket? My maths tells me that's an extra £90,000 with all the extras of sales of beer/food/burgers/programmes etc. Call it £100,000.

Ask yourself again would you rather YOUR club have an extra £100,000 in it's kitty?

To the point of the atmosphere though....................100% agree, it wasn't very good. I think you'd be stupid to blame an increase in fans for this though. The noisy corner wasn't as noisy as usual but maybe the fact that we were generally 2nd best most of the game (although I think we did OK) caused the poor atmosphere (that and Gareth Roberts kicking the ball out for a corner with no danger around him whatsoever amonst other frustrating Sunday league type moments) It's simple, if the team are playing good stuff the crowd will react to it.

I was in the South West Upper where I suspect most of the Groupon were and at times many people started chanting and attempting to break out into a song but it just never really kicks off.

As for supporting the team - I don't think I need anybody to be judging my support of the team - I've had season tickets for years (since Arthur Cox's 3-2-1) and listen/watch whenever I possibly can. I personally think all the people who were leaving the ground with only 79 mins on the clock are a disgrace (especially with 5/6 mins of injury time added onto that as well! Maybe this has an impact on atmosphere? If we were losing by a couple of goals I could maybe understand but 1-1 with all to play for? I don't get it!!!

Exactly. Davies was ***** on Saturday. I know the service to him didn't help but at least Theo went looking for the ball as apposed to waiting for people to put it on a plate for him. I know he's bagged a few this season but take those away and does he do as much for the team as Theo does??? At least Theo has movement (regardless if it's the headedless chicken variety sometimes) but a defender will always prefer being up against an attacker who basically stands still with his back to goal, much easier to defend. Davies made Fonte' look like Ferdinand, Maldini & Bobby Moore rolled into one...

But this was the same Davies who has scored 10 goals in the last 24 games!!! Doesn't that equate to close to the 20 goals a season striker that so many say we need. It is futile comparing Davies to Robinson; they are completely different styles of player, if they were the same they wouldn't complement each other.

But this was the same Davies who has scored 10 goals in the last 24 games!!! Doesn't that equate to close to the 20 goals a season striker that so many say we need. It is futile comparing Davies to Robinson; they are completely different styles of player, if they were the same they wouldn't complement each other.

I wasn't comparing them (just to jump up to the Vernak's post, in agreement to mine) - I said he wasn't trying as hard, and was a bigger problem.

In a team built on honesty and effort, he doesn't seem to fit in too well.

As Ace just clarified, I wasn't comparing the skills of the two players more their effort and general play. Davies is a better player when dropping deep but he looked as though he was unfit or unwilling to do so. And before anyone says he was probably doing as he was told by the management that maybe so but when I've played and not seen any of the ball and thought I can do something to effect the game I'd go and do it. He's not a target man and him and Theo are roughly the same size and can be pretty much interchangable with regards to one holding it up and playing of the other...

Yes we all want the team to be even better. And of course we would like better players in our team - which football fan doesn't I'm convinced we need another midfielder - but i'm sure clough sees it too.

We've got one- unfortunately Bailey is injured. Anyone know when he is due back?

I wasn't comparing them (just to jump up to the Vernak's post, in agreement to mine) - I said he wasn't trying as hard, and was a bigger problem.

In a team built on honesty and effort, he doesn't seem to fit in too well.

I'm not Steve Davies' greatest fan but I do accept that like Theo he is still learning the game, and particularly the position that we are playing him in. He is never going to be running flat out in the same way as Theo does as he is not built that way. My only point really is that he is currently a 20 goals a season man (maybe pro rata considering he is out now until 2012).

I'm not Steve Davies' greatest fan but I do accept that like Theo he is still learning the game, and particularly the position that we are playing him in. He is never going to be running flat out in the same way as Theo does as he is not built that way. My only point really is that he is currently a 20 goals a season man (maybe pro rata considering he is out now until 2012).

He hasn't even scored twenty goals in his career, let alone 20 a season.

If I scored four goals in the first few games for my Sunday League team, then got injured, I wouldn't say I was a 20 a season player, or even pro rata.

STRIKER Steven Davies has revealed how his latest injury came within millimetres of ending his football career.

Davies was carried off minutes before the end of Derby County's top-of-the-table Championship clash against Southampton on Saturday following an aerial collision.

It was thought that the 23-year-old had suffered a routine depressed fracture of his skull.

But the injury was far, far worse and he needed a five-hour operation on Sunday to repair the damage.

The surgeon rebuilt Davies' smashed skull by inserting 10 metal plates held together by 22 screws.

Davies only learned of the full extent of the damage and the seriousness of the career-threatening injury when he came to after surgery.

"It could have been a whole lot worse because it was millimetres away from possible brain damage, millimetres from being career-threatening," said Davies, who is recovering at home.

Sixteen stitches running across the top of his left eyebrow is evidence of the operation he underwent at the Royal Derby Hospital.

"On Saturday night the surgeon talked about cutting from ear to ear right across my skull and going in that way to repair the damage," said Davies.

"That terrified me.

"I said I didn't want that doing and at that time, I still thought it was just a little depressed fracture.

"The surgeon did the operation through my left eyebrow. He said later that if he'd known how much damage I had done he would have made the cut right across my head and gone in that way.

"When he told me he'd put 10 metal plates in, I was shocked.

"He said he couldn't put my skull back together given how badly it was damaged, so he had to make a bridge and fill it with artificial bone to get my head back to its normal shape.

"The 22 screws are in there to make sure everything is held together properly.

"The skull has two layers and the first layer was smashed.

"I went into theatre at 9am and they said I would be out by noon.

"But when they started to operate, they found out how severe the damage was and eventually I came back from theatre at about 2pm.

"The surgeon told my wife, Sacha, the injury was a lot more complicated than they thought and a lot more serious."

Davies has been blighted by injuries since he joined Derby from Tranmere Rovers in the summer of 2008.

He is the club's leading scorer this season and he was showing his best form in a Rams shirt before this latest injury, which is expected to sideline him for three months.

"I have had my fair share of injuries but this is the most worrying by far," he said.

"I know when people realise how serious this was they will understand that I have to make sure my health is fine and then, hopefully, my football will come back.

"I have got two small kids and a wife. They were not at the game and didn't know anything about what had happened until they got a phone call.

"Then they were left worrying if I was going to wake up after the operation.

"It does put the whole football thing into perspective and, hopefully, the fans will understand that.

"I think this injury more than any other has shaken me because I now know how much worse it could have been.

"I could be sitting here with my career ended.

"Another injury is frustrating but I just have to accept it and be grateful that I might only be out for 12 weeks and not the rest of my career.

"It is going to take time to recover.

"I always knew I would come back from the other injuries I've had, and I know I will come back from this."

from today's DET.

Robinson is a scapegoat.

Everyone stood round me at forest was saying how well he was playing, then when we're not so good, it's easier to pick him out than someone like Hendrick, who in my opinion was totally pedestrian against Leicester. It might not be fashionable to lay the blame with popular players, but sometimes it's totally justified.

I thought Davies was a much bigger problem on Saturday than Robinson - he wasn't making any effort to win headers, hold up the ball - infact the only thing he put his back in to was the free kick he took, because he's got a powerful shot.

Having said all that, he does seem at his most effective coming off the bench after an hour, when the opposition are starting to tire, and I'd like to see him used more like that.

I think Robinson may have been hitting the weights a bit, a few times recently, hes held the ball up quite well, when we had him on loan last season he fell over if you blew on him. I think if he managed to put on a couple of stone and played it into his feet, Robinson could easily be used as a hold up player, and his pace would make him such a problem to deal with as well if he had a bit of strength

I think Robinson may have been hitting the weights a bit, a few times recently, hes held the ball up quite well, when we had him on loan last season he fell over if you blew on him. I think if he managed to put on a couple of stone and played it into his feet, Robinson could easily be used as a hold up player, and his pace would make him such a problem to deal with as well if he had a bit of strength

If he put wait on he would some of his pace, which is his main asset.

Archived