Steve Davies

Subman

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about when theo's first touch ended up in the back of the net? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Still dont mean he isnt poo, Ill support him as much as the next person during the 90 mins, but it dont mean I cant be critical before or after, to me our attacking line is the weakness in the team, had we got someone like Lambert, IMO we would have won that match.

Whilst a point at home against top of the league may be a looked at as a great result by some, I think we are 2 players short of being a team that are able to finish in the top 6 and in my view we never looked like we would beat Southampton on Sat, even when leading, maybe if the injured players were fit this would have been different, but they werent and those shows the lack of depth in the squad we have.

I agree with the fact that we were on the back foot from the second minute onwards- Southampton are by far the best team I have seen at PP this season and are going to take some stopping in my opinion. Also agree that we need more of an attacking threat, it is sad that Davies is injured but it might just open the door for a decent loan striker or one of our boys to step up and make the position their own. davies has done ok but seriously believe that if we had an actual CF up there he would have bagged twice as many as Stephen.

Ruins more attacks than he helps? Behave, were you there yesterday? Theo was the only bloke on the pitch aside from Hendrick actually capable of creating an attack. His hold-up play was much improved and to be honest, if Steve Davies was half as arsed as Theo was yesterday Theo would have had a partner to pass the ball to when he held it.

The only reason Theo kept losing out yesterday was because Davies was either too slow on the break or too lazy to find a decent position, allowing the defence to outmuscle Theo and clear.

One particular moment stood out to me in the second half. Theo came back to defend the corner and managed to put a good challenge in on Chaplow (I think?). He hacked it clear, high and long, and started chasing. He almost made it to the ball before the defender who stayed in his own half, put him under pressure and won us a throw-in. Davies was still jogging out of the penalty area at the time.

The only thing holding Theo back yesterday was Davies. I'd love to see Theo and Ward given a couple of games up front together because at the moment, Davies is developing a case of the Kris Commons cold

I think both davies and robinson are suspect and we could do with replacements for them.

Theo Robinson will make your eyes water as much as hemorrhoids. He's a fustrating player, and he always will be. His first touch will never be amazing and he's always going to lose to ball trying to do something that stretches his ability a little too far.

Having said that, the lad will run his feet off for Derby County and will no doubt score plenty of important goals for us, in my opinion. Apart from Leicester when he came up against two quality centre halves who man-marked him, Theo is very very good at finding space. He almost has a right to miss sometimes, because if he wasn't on the pitch, the opportunity wouldn't even have happened.

It's important to remember that Theo Robinson isn't Stephen Pearson. There's not a single player on the pitch on Saturday who is incapable of doing something useful like the aforementioned gingernut or Clod Davis. I think some fans are still stuck on Jewell-era mode.

Theo and Davies are never going to be outstanding players and they won't be regular Premier League players for us if we go ever up. But some of the comments people are throwing about in this thread are absolutely ridiculous. We can get better players, yes, but they're not awful players...

3 months out with a fractured skull, that's not good. I know some people don't like him, me I am totally against that, as I rate him very highly but no doubt a big loss, the only striker on our books that will give a decent return of goals.

Ward hasn't got the patience or intelligence of a goalscorer, he has a lot of ability and will get passed his man and have moments of magic, but rarely gets in the right positions.

Robinson, just won't score enough, his goals are when he finds himself in the right positions and they're fed to him, doesn't happen nearly enough and isn't the type of player that will be able to create for himself, like Davies.

Ball, might be his turn to step up although from what I've heard he still isn't ready.

Maguire seems to have the ability, looked sharp when he has got on and now Davies is out, seems like he is the right person to call up.

and of course Tyson who we are waiting for to return, which could be soon which takes the sting out of losing Davies.

All in all, I hope we can bring in a replacement for Davies, even with Tyson coming back but if not, I'm sure we'll get by.

Theo and Davies are never going to be outstanding players and they won't be regular Premier League players for us if we go ever up. But some of the comments people are throwing about in this thread are absolutely ridiculous. We can get better players, yes, but they're not awful players...

Exactly, they are the best of what we have- actually saying that I am not sure Davies is- but they are both capable of scoring at this level and Theo's game is about more than scoring anyway.

Think some people are being a little harsh towards Steve & Theo. Theo's main job is to run and harry the defenders and make them panic and Steve's main job will be to get the ball and create/score goals. Steve struggled on saturday to win headers because everytime he jumped for the ball he either had 2 hands in his back or on his shoulders which was the same in the other matches i have seen this season. Theo is always going to be a player that will fustrate and please in equal amounts through out, 1 minute he will chase the ball down, win it, get 1 on 1 with the keeper then put it top corner of the stand. He is an instinct player, if he has to think about what he is doing he is awful but when he has to react, like for his goal, he is a good player (at this level)

If you could combine the 2 we would have a player that would be good enough to play in the prem for a top 10 team. (the other player to come from that woul be on Clod's level 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />)

Exactly, they are the best of what we have- actually saying that I am not sure Davies is- but they are both capable of scoring at this level and Theo's game is about more than scoring anyway.

I agree we can do better than Steve Davies, but when you've got a crap striker whose goals-to-came ratio is 1 in 2, life can't be that bad can it?

Not a question directed at you in particular, but people are being unnecessarily gloomy. The teams that replace players like Steve Davies with better ones have boards who will back their manager with anything and hit triple figures in the points department. Most clubs aren't in that position.

I'm not sure we can magic up a loan deal for a player much better than either.

3 months out with a fractured skull, that's not good. I know some people don't like him, me I am totally against that, as I rate him very highly but no doubt a big loss, the only striker on our books that will give a decent return of goals.

Ward hasn't got the patience or intelligence of a goalscorer, he has a lot of ability and will get passed his man and have moments of magic, but rarely gets in the right positions.

Robinson, just won't score enough, his goals are when he finds himself in the right positions and they're fed to him, doesn't happen nearly enough and isn't the type of player that will be able to create for himself, like Davies.

Ball, might be his turn to step up although from what I've heard he still isn't ready.

Maguire seems to have the ability, looked sharp when he has got on and now Davies is out, seems like he is the right person to call up.

and of course Tyson who we are waiting for to return, which could be soon which takes the sting out of losing Davies.

All in all, I hope we can bring in a replacement for Davies, even with Tyson coming back but if not, I'm sure we'll get by.

Agree with most of this although I think Theo will reach double figure if he is played and I am not sure Davies would do much better. Lets hope that Tyson is a CF then and not the winger everyone (including his former employers) thought he was. Other than that we should be looking to push Ball into the squad as he isn't going to improve without being thrown in at the deep end occasionally- he is obviously finding the reserves less than challenging!

I agree we can do better than Steve Davies, but when you've got a crap striker whose goals-to-came ratio is 1 in 2, life can't be that bad can it?

Not a question directed at you in particular, but people are being unnecessarily gloomy. The teams that replace players like Steve Davies with better ones have boards who will back their manager with anything and hit triple figures in the points department. Most clubs aren't in that position.

I'm not sure we can magic up a loan deal for a player much better than either.

Sorry, I wasn't clear- I meant to say that I don't think Davies is the best that we have at the club. Maguire hasn't been given a chance, Ball needs a kick up the backside and hopefully Tyson can come in and do a job. The fact that Davies ratio is good is more testament to the amount of chances we are creating (and wasting) rather than Davies potency. Any of the other players I have mentioned would be welcome additions to the starting line up ahead of Davies for me as he looks lazy and disinterested for 97% of the match, shame really because he looked sharp against Villa pre-season which leads me to think it may be attitude rather than ability that is holding him back.

Sorry, I wasn't clear- I meant to say that I don't think Davies is the best that we have at the club. Maguire hasn't been given a chance, Ball needs a kick up the backside and hopefully Tyson can come in and do a job. The fact that Davies ratio is good is more testament to the amount of chances we are creating (and wasting) rather than Davies potency. Any of the other players I have mentioned would be welcome additions to the starting line up ahead of Davies for me as he looks lazy and disinterested for 97% of the match, shame really because he looked sharp against Villa pre-season which leads me to think it may be attitude rather than ability that is holding him back.

I've seen Ball a couple of times and I'm not convinced he's good enough yet. He looks even less mobile than Davies...

As for Maguire, Clough has hinted in interviews that he's not looked great in training and reserve games and suggested a little harder work wouldn't go amiss. To get rid of a striker who's scored in half of his games and to replace him with the new kid who isn't pulling his weight sends out a pretty confusing message to the rest of the squad.

I don't think it is laziness with Davies. Well, not most of the time, anyway. I think he could have given more against Southampton but one thing I've always noticed with him is that he struggles with stamina. Remember the Leage Cup semi against United? He'd run himself ragged by half-time. Maybe he's been told to pace himself a bit more. With Theo doing all the running, does Steve Davies need to? My main criticism of him is his inability to hold the ball up and make himself available to Ward or Ben Davies when they're on the ball. That's match sharpness, not laziness.

I've seen Ball a couple of times and I'm not convinced he's good enough yet. He looks even less mobile than Davies...

As for Maguire, Clough has hinted in interviews that he's not looked great in training and reserve games and suggested a little harder work wouldn't go amiss. To get rid of a striker who's scored in half of his games and to replace him with the new kid who isn't pulling his weight sends out a pretty confusing message to the rest of the squad.

I don't think it is laziness with Davies. Well, not most of the time, anyway. I think he could have given more against Southampton but one thing I've always noticed with him is that he struggles with stamina. Remember the Leage Cup semi against United? He'd run himself ragged by half-time. Maybe he's been told to pace himself a bit more. With Theo doing all the running, does Steve Davies need to? My main criticism of him is his inability to hold the ball up and make himself available to Ward or Ben Davies when they're on the ball. That's match sharpness, not laziness.

It would send the wrong message out- but now he is injured it is the perfect time for someone to grab the chance and make the position theirs. Be it Maguire or someone else, put the effort in in training and get out there. I think that Theo and Ward upfront together with Cwyka behind them is worth looking at too

As a striker you need to offer something in the form of pace, strength, an aerial threat, trickery or that nack of scoring goals. At the moment Davies offers none of them, if by the end of the season he's got 20+ goals then you could make a case for the last one. He's a passenger for most of the game and it's hindering the midfield. Him getting injured could be a blessing in disguise, hopefully a season long loan is bought in.

I fully agree with EKR on this one..

I really don't rate S.Davies.. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, he just isn't a striker and never will be.. He'd be far more useful in a position behind the striker.. But he wouldn't make my starting 11..

You need more from strikers, not just scoring goals.. Shane Long and Kevin Doyle were the best strikers seen at this level in the past 10 years or so, not because they score goals (neither finished top scorer in the league) but because of their movement, running the channels, holding up the ball, taking people on, dragging defenders out of position, bringing midfielders into play, creating space, creating chances, basically causing havoc.. They were already $4mill strikers without the goals for their approach play, their goals just pushed them up another $2mill..

Theo IMO does try and causes more damage than S.Davies ever does.. At least Theo has an ounce of movement..

Having a mobile striker is so much better than having a good goalscorer but immobile striker.. Hence why Torres and Berbatov aren't regulars despite being 'better goalscorers' than the likes of Welbeck and Sturridge..

We need someone in there who is more mobile.. A front 3 of Ward (left) Robinson (center) and Cywka (right) will give us so much more movement and we'll create plenty more.. IMO the injury to S.Davies is a blessing in disguise.

Southampton were about much more than Lambert. Their team knew each other very well, at times they were passing the ball around without looking for each other.

Their number 8 (Jack Cork?) was excellent in the midfield, was involved in practically everything they did. The whole team was on a level, very good communication.

Derby are on the way to something like that, this season we're finally beginning to see some continuity in the squad selection. The 'tightness' of our squad is integral to our development.

Good performance last Saturday, Ward, Theo, B.Davies, G.Roberts and Shackell impressed me as did Frankie Fielding.

Now that Pearson isn't playing, it seems some people have to find someone else to have a go at.

At the end of last season it was Ben Davies - now he's doing ok it's Steve Davies and/or Theo Robinson.

Now Steve is out it just leaves Theo.

For God's save get a grip on reality - Robinson was never intended as a first choice for this season, but he's come in (and done "better than expected" according to Clough) because we don't really have much else - if Tyson had been fit Theo just might have made the bench.

He's done a decent job in the circumstances - don't blame him for not winning headers against 6'-4" defenders.

Have we had anyone in recent years that did that - NO - not even Steve Howard could do it and he just ended up giving away free kicks most of the time, hardly ever won a ball that was just lumped up field.

It was the same with Raziak.

It's the same with Steve Davies. - that's why he now has a dent in his head.

Leave Theo alone and let him get on with it - he had a decent game on Saturday and did exactly what the magical Lambert did - scored one goal, and that's what counts.

SUPPORT THE PLAYERS AND STOP MOANING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

now then....its not moaning to simply talk about something....theo's is sh*te! but hes our sh*te....davies is abit lazy but i reckon every one is just saying the team wouldnt be under so much pressure if we have a man uptop who can keep possesion...not just chase after it...(which is welcome and fair play to him...) but if thats all youre good for....????

Archived