Derby County v Barnsley

Boycie

Right guys, i couldnt make it to this game, but from what ive heard from comments and match report that it was it was one of the best second half displays in a while. So im delighted to hear that.

we played very well indeed. we will play worse than that this season and win.

some of the attacking football was superb.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent game. I have never seen a Derby team work that hard for a long time and it makes all the difference.

Quality for us all over the park. Back 4 were great, Roberts when on was helping Ward cause them so many problems, Anderson struggled initially when coming on, partly at fault for their goal by not being strong enough, but sorted himself out and put a good shift in at left back.

Midfield for me is the strong part of our team. Bryson and Hendrick were superb!

Ward and Davies a constant threat, and for me Ward was man of the match. I appreciated all what Hendrick did and I'd have him down as second, but Wards work going forward was a joy to watch and his work rate and harrying were so much fun to watch, then in the 80th minute was it, he races back because his left back is struggling to nick the ball of their man in a very dangerous position, fab!

Steve Davies was great, held the ball up well, and on another day would have had a hatrick. Put a real shift in and never stopped working and causing problems with his movement.

Only negative to the team was Theo, on occasion played well, harried well and worked hard, but the decision making and final quality was missing. When he thinks about what he is doing he struggles, when he just does it, the result is very different.

Overall a great performance and I came away with a big smile on my face even though we had only drawn.

ER

I agree it was a very good performance even though we didnt get the win it was the manner we played which was most pleasing. The part of the side that has improved mostly for me which ive been crying out for about 4 years in the middle of midfield, we now have good players in there who are controlling the game.

Im amazed many on here said 442 is boring and out dated

Steve Davies isn't a striker and that showed. He had a good game - good movement, held it up well, as usual comfortable on the ball, but he's not a natural finisher - not an Owen or an Inzaghi type player who'll do nothing but pop up with a goal given just one chance. This is what will cost us promotion/ a play-off position because we're not going to create 49 chances every game as we did last night so we need a striker who's going to be able to take his one chance.

Theo as usual was a total enigma. He'd lose it, he'd win it back, he'd have a naff shot, he'd hit a screamer, he'd have a terrible touch, he'd have a great touch - all within 20 seconds of eachother.

Midfield was the real positive - Davies and Ward looked a constant threat, and although they had a spell of twenty minutes in the first half where they were pretty ineffectual, Bryson and Hendrick looked superb.

Brayford also had his best game for a while and had shades of last year with his marauding, penetrating runs from the inside right position.

Anderson - obviously not a left back and although he won all his headers and made some important tackles, looked shaky and was our weakest point I feel - his lack of pace showed too often.

On another day we'd have won 6-2, but we've scraped some "lucky" wins this season - Watford and Birmingham spring to mind, so I suppose it's just levelling out.

tbh i don't have a problem with how anyone played last night. theo is getting better imo - and what he lacks in subtlety he makes up for in other areas. agree about cywka having longer tho.

their goal seemed to be either anderson not heading it or fielding coming and then going back.

what a great game it was.

on another evening we would have won 4 - 1

theo went a step back, my personal view is you either have got a touch or haven't, you can coach someone up to a point but has he got any natural ability with the ball. He looks uncomfortable with the ball and struggles to make the simplest touches and passes, we should put jamie ward up front and put cywka on the right.

Steve Davies isn't a striker and that showed. He had a good game - good movement, held it up well, as usual comfortable on the ball, but he's not a natural finisher - not an Owen or an Inzaghi type player who'll do nothing but pop up with a goal given just one chance. This is what will cost us promotion/ a play-off position because we're not going to create 49 chances every game as we did last night so we need a striker who's going to be able to take his one chance.

Theo as usual was a total enigma. He'd lose it, he'd win it back, he'd have a naff shot, he'd hit a screamer, he'd have a terrible touch, he'd have a great touch - all within 20 seconds of eachother.

Midfield was the real positive - Davies and Ward looked a constant threat, and although they had a spell of twenty minutes in the first half where they were pretty ineffectual, Bryson and Hendrick looked superb.

Brayford also had his best game for a while and had shades of last year with his marauding, penetrating runs from the inside right position.

Anderson - obviously not a left back and although he won all his headers and made some important tackles, looked shaky and was our weakest point I feel - his lack of pace showed too often.

On another day we'd have won 6-2, but we've scraped some "lucky" wins this season - Watford and Birmingham spring to mind, so I suppose it's just levelling out.

Its a bit harsh to say Davies isnt a natural striker as he misssed a few chances. His goal record since returning from injury is pretty good. Even the top players dont score every chance and if he did he wouldnt be at this club but at one of the top 4. In a few games he has made a goal out of pretty much nothing so lets not write him off yet

1-1 Shackell at both ends.

warm but the odd shower

11 divots will be replaced at half time

4 crisp packets, 19 bits of carefully torn paper and half a burger will be on the pitch at the end of the game

3 arrests

The ref will fall over twice

A gull will do a half-hearted low fly around the pitch in the 63rd minute but then get bored and bugger off

23,342 attendance

The announcer will be a n*b

At least we know the last one will be correct!

23,454... only 112 out & got the score spot on. Well done.

Its a bit harsh to say Davies isnt a natural striker as he misssed a few chances. His goal record since returning from injury is pretty good. Even the top players dont score every chance and if he did he wouldnt be at this club but at one of the top 4. In a few games he has made a goal out of pretty much nothing so lets not write him off yet

I mean he's not the type to play on the shoulder of the last man waiting for a through ball to bury. He's best when playing infront of the opposition defence between their midfield. I wasn't writing him off, hence why I said he had a good game - he does what he does well, but we shouldn't rely on him for the bulk of our goals this season. If he get's 10-15 great, but we need someone who's going to get 20-25 for us to be serious promotion contenders. Unfortunately these players cost money we don't appear to have, or need to be plucked from obscurity which our scouting network isn't able to do.

Excellent game. I have never seen a Derby team work that hard for a long time and it makes all the difference.

Quality for us all over the park. Back 4 were great, Roberts when on was helping Ward cause them so many problems, Anderson struggled initially when coming on, partly at fault for their goal by not being strong enough, but sorted himself out and put a good shift in at left back.

Midfield for me is the strong part of our team. Bryson and Hendrick were superb!

Ward and Davies a constant threat, and for me Ward was man of the match. I appreciated all what Hendrick did and I'd have him down as second, but Wards work going forward was a joy to watch and his work rate and harrying were so much fun to watch, then in the 80th minute was it, he races back because his left back is struggling to nick the ball of their man in a very dangerous position, fab!

Steve Davies was great, held the ball up well, and on another day would have had a hatrick. Put a real shift in and never stopped working and causing problems with his movement.

Only negative to the team was Theo, on occasion played well, harried well and worked hard, but the decision making and final quality was missing. When he thinks about what he is doing he struggles, when he just does it, the result is very different.

Overall a great performance and I came away with a big smile on my face even though we had only drawn.

ER

Please don't blame Anderson for their goal - radio derby commented that he "misjudged his header" but that just isn't true.

I sit behind the goal at the North end and could see exactly what happened.

He would have been strong enough, but for the fact that he got a big 2-handed shove in the back from Vaz-te and ended up 3 yards from where he wanted to be - just enough space for Vaz-te to put the ball across.

How the linesman on that side (who was pretty poor to be honest) didn't see it is a mystery. I can only assume that his view was blocke because Vaz-te had his back to him.

Please don't blame Anderson for their goal - radio derby commented that he "misjudged his header" but that just isn't true.

I sit behind the goal at the North end and could see exactly what happened.

He would have been strong enough, but for the fact that he got a big 2-handed shove in the back from Vaz-te and ended up 3 yards from where he wanted to be - just enough space for Vaz-te to put the ball across.

How the linesman on that side (who was pretty poor to be honest) didn't see it is a mystery. I can only assume that his view was blocke because Vaz-te had his back to him.

Exactly what my mate told me, absolute nailed on foul and yellow card if it had been seen by the lino or ref. I couldn't see it from my seat but some were furious about it after the game.

Exactly what my mate told me, absolute nailed on foul and yellow card if it had been seen by the lino or ref. I couldn't see it from my seat but some were furious about it after the game.

Not sure about a yellow (although after Theo's almost every player should have been booked last night!!!) but was a definite push in the back.Was there a handball in the box 2nd half? Just never seen the West Stand appeal as much as they did then!!

Please don't blame Anderson for their goal - radio derby commented that he "misjudged his header" but that just isn't true. I sit behind the goal at the North end and could see exactly what happened. He would have been strong enough, but for the fact that he got a big 2-handed shove in the back from Vaz-te and ended up 3 yards from where he wanted to be - just enough space for Vaz-te to put the ball across. How the linesman on that side (who was pretty poor to be honest) didn't see it is a mystery. I can only assume that his view was blocke because Vaz-te had his back to him.

I was in the North stand as well, and the push is why I say partly responsible. If your a defender you have to be prepared for some of that and if you notice none of our players appealed, including Anderson. There were still 2 more touches after Vas difference so it wasn't all down to him, and Cloughy himself said he should have been stronger for the header.

As for the handball that someone else mentioned, yes it was a definite, but on the wrong side of the ref for us, he palmed the ball and it was definite hand to ball.

ER

Agree with you Dangerous, he looked absolutely knackered!!

Agreed, we had all seen him stretching for the 3-4 previous corners and not running as normal. It was after he slid trying to save a goal kick. giving him time to run it off was one thing, but we carried him for too long after that before he was replaced.

ER

MrsRam and ladyram, we did our best - I made son and granddaughter do extra cheering as well on your behalfs!

The train from Brum I'd booked my cheap seat on was delayed by over an hour, so I had to buy another ticket! But worth every penny! Still not sure how we didn't win, but seems a long time since I saw a Rams team with that much heart and skill, at times. Having assumed over the last couple of years that passing to another white shirt wasn't allowed, it was quite a shock to see them working as a team! Long may it continue 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

MrsRam and ladyram, we did our best - I made son and granddaughter do extra cheering as well on your behalfs!

The train from Brum I'd booked my cheap seat on was delayed by over an hour, so I had to buy another ticket! But worth every penny! Still not sure how we didn't win, but seems a long time since I saw a Rams team with that much heart and skill, at times. Having assumed over the last couple of years that passing to another white shirt wasn't allowed, it was quite a shock to see them working as a team! Long may it continue 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Women are so brutal to each other. I’d have said it was a boring draw and that they’d missed nothing special. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Women are so brutal to each other. I’d have said it was a boring draw and that they’d missed nothing special. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Ah, but we trust each other to tell the truth. I'm sure that ladyram and MrsRam will be pleased I saw such a great game! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Ah, but we trust each other to tell the truth. I'm sure that ladyram and MrsRam will be pleased I saw such a great game! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

how you try to rationalise your cruelty is no concern of mine 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Archived