Messi....... Is he one of the Greatest ever players? Or do Barca make it seem so?

Alph

You claim that Ronaldo has done it in different leagues but he was known to struggle against the top sides.. It took him about 7 attempts to score past Barcelona, he's contantly gone missing for Portugal in the big games and he's never finished top scorer in the CL.. He just had a great habbit of knocking 2 or 3 past Portsmouth, Aston Villa and Wigan..

Let's face it, Messi hasn't exactly covered himself in glory during World Cups has he? That's why a lot of people are still holding the question mark over him for the title of best ever because unlike Pele, Zidane & Maradonna he hasn't pulled up any trees at international level. I'm not one of these who says the World Cup is the pinnicle, the Champions League & Euros have less weak teams but if we're taking international games into account Messi has had as many, if not more, mediocre games than Ronaldo, especially at tournaments...

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's face it, Messi hasn't exactly covered himself in glory during World Cups has he? That's why a lot of people are still holding the question mark over him for the title of best ever because unlike Pele, Zidane & Maradonna he hasn't pulled up any trees at international level. I'm not one of these who says the World Cup is the pinnicle, the Champions League & Euros have less weak teams but if we're taking international games into account Messi has had as many, if not more, mediocre games than Ronaldo, especially at tournaments...

The arguement is so flawed it's unreal..

To qualify for the WC the South American qualification is the most difficult out of any continent.. Whilst the likes of Portugal and England have to beat only Wales, Montenegro, Bulgaria, San Marino, Poland etc. the highest ranked team you're looking at is around 40th in the world.. Then it goes down to 60th plus.. In South America you're facing Colombia, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay, Brazil, Bolivia, Venezuela, Ecuador etc.. The ones bolded made the WC knockout stages.. Include Colombia and Ecuador and you've got 6 top 30 teams to compete with here.. It's like England having a group with Croatia, Russia, France, Italy, Ukraine and Turkey all in the same group.. Messi single handedly dragged Argentina through the WC qualifying and he's running the show now.. He was Argentinas best player in the WC despite being played out of position and being managed by someone with the managerial skills of my Grandma..

Also the CL is much harder to win than the WC.. The CL has all the best players in the world, other than Neymar, there isn't a single 'top' player not playing CL football.. If they're not playing CL football, it's because they're not yet the best players around.. Quality players in the past like Berbatov, George Best, Shevchenko etc. rarely had a chance to play at the WC yet we've got the likes of Andy Carroll and Phil Jagielka starting England matches..

Messi has been the best International player since the summer of 2011.. Last season Argentina finally helped him out a little bit and he's destroying everyone.. His Real Madrid collegues Di Maria and Higauin have both mentioned he's the best player they've ever seen..

Anyway.. Here is the record..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZd2hqfMOPc

Such an unreal selection of goals.. Scoring long rangers, amazing free kicks, headers, first time shots, dribbles from deep, rounding the goalkeeper..

Scoring 88 goals against the best teams in the world is just crazy.. He's the best ever.

I can't single any of them out, many of them just seem impossible goals that no-one else could score.. The one away at Sevilla sticks in the mind as it was just so outrageous and his 3rd away at Deportivo is just an unhuman like goal to do that..

The arguement is so flawed it's unreal..

To qualify for the WC the South American qualification is the most difficult out of any continent.. Whilst the likes of Portugal and England have to beat only Wales, Montenegro, Bulgaria, San Marino, Poland etc. the highest ranked team you're looking at is around 40th in the world.. Then it goes down to 60th plus.. In South America you're facing Colombia, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay, Brazil, Bolivia, Venezuela, Ecuador etc.. The ones bolded made the WC knockout stages.. Include Colombia and Ecuador and you've got 6 top 30 teams to compete with here.. It's like England having a group with Croatia, Russia, France, Italy, Ukraine and Turkey all in the same group.. Messi single handedly dragged Argentina through the WC qualifying and he's running the show now.. He was Argentinas best player in the WC despite being played out of position and being managed by someone with the managerial skills of my Grandma..

Also the CL is much harder to win than the WC.. The CL has all the best players in the world, other than Neymar, there isn't a single 'top' player not playing CL football.. If they're not playing CL football, it's because they're not yet the best players around.. Quality players in the past like Berbatov, George Best, Shevchenko etc. rarely had a chance to play at the WC yet we've got the likes of Andy Carroll and Phil Jagielka starting England matches..

Messi has been the best International player since the summer of 2011.. Last season Argentina finally helped him out a little bit and he's destroying everyone.. His Real Madrid collegues Di Maria and Higauin have both mentioned he's the best player they've ever seen..

Anyway.. Here is the record..

Wipe the weekly accumilation of jizz from your shrine to Barcelona and calm down.

You're missing a point here, I agree that Messi is better player out the two. I'm merely pointing out the fact that Messi has had an equally patchy international form as Ronaldo.

Tinpot league. Most premier league clubs could beat the Spanish team in the same league position. There are three good teams in la liga, and messi happens to play for the best team. I reckon I'd score a few if I played up front for Barce.

If the rest are so tinpot how did the following results happen?

Valencia 1-0 Stoke

Sevilla 2-1 Spurs

Athletico Bilboa 3-2 Man Utd

Deportivo La Caruña 3-2 Man Utd

Villareal 1-0 Everton

Atletico Madrid 2-1 Fulham

Atlketico Madrid 2-1 Liverpool

Sevilla 4-0 Middlesbrough

Zaragoza 2-1 Arsenal

Valencia 1-0 Stoke

Sevilla 2-1 Spurs

Villareal 1-0 Everton

Zaragoza 2-1 Arsenal

I think by looking at the teams, over half the premier league teams didn't even field their best 11..... I think it's more down to how serious we take these cup competitions. Not very except the champions league, which unfortunately is only down the fact it's the only club competition that pays out more money than the premier league...... the shame of tv rights 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

I think by looking at the teams, over half the premier league teams didn't even field their best 11..... I think it's more down to how serious we take these cup competitions. Not very except the champions league, which unfortunately is only down the fact it's the only club competition that pays out more money than the premier league...... the shame of tv rights 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

They all played their best team..

Given they were either a quarter final, semi-final, final or a CL qualifier..

The only game that could perhaps be an exception was the return leg of Man Utd vs Bilboa when they knew they had a mountain to climb.. But it didn't stop them fielding Rooney, Cleverly, Young, Carrick, Evra, Ferdinand, De Gae, Rafael, Giggs etc..

Arsenal, Fulham, Boro were all cup finals

They all played to win and got beaten..

Shake n Bake's comment was clearly tongue in cheek as he can't be that deluded to think otherwise

Valencia 1-0 Stoke

Sevilla 2-1 Spurs

Villareal 1-0 Everton

Zaragoza 2-1 Arsenal

Are these the last results between English and Spanish clubs bris, or did you just take a random selection?

Archived