Books

rezner

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Its about WW1 and is dramatised on BBC 1 starting next Sunday. If you get chance, read the book before you watch it.

Or just watch dancing on ice.... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

Without spoiling it too much, did we win? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Still making my way through the Churchill second world war volumes. Keep coming across bits that I'd never heard before -

When things were looking bleak for the French, their Prime Minister asked Churchill for a grand gesture from Britain to bolster morale of the French population. Churchill went away, consulted Parliament, and gained approval from HRH George VI, and then went back to the French with a proposal for a full union between France and Britain, akin to the union between England, Scotland and Wales. The French rejected the offer, on the basis that they didn't want to become a British dominion. Idiots - obviously much better to be a German district...... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Churchill was a bigger hero the more you learn about him.

In the 30's the Conservative's sucked up to Hitler, Winston campaigned from the back benches (against his own government) for Britain to re-arm against the German threat. He was ridiculed by the far right Tory boys and the goose stepping nazi supporters of the Daily Mail and Oswald Moseley.

Thank fook Churchill knew what was going on and had the moral courage to say so. We'd be spracken die deutsch otherwise.

Initially I hadn't realised that there were numerous volumes to this work, so I ended up starting with the second book, which picks up the start of the second world war. Since then I've gotten hold of the first volume, so I've gone back to read that before continuing with the second volume.

In the first book he covers the period from the end of WWI and up to the start of the second world war. What you're saying there makes itself evident in the first book. You do wonder sometimes just what goes through people's minds. The idea that the best way of preventing war was to reduce their own armaments down to the level of the defeated Germany was a recipe for disaster. The greatest shame of all though, when it became clear that Germany was in fact re-arming, what did we do? We kept pushing for France to reduce it's armament level down even further?! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

It's also quite evident in the book that the idea in question undoubtedly came from the United States.

In fact, the US doesn't come out of that first book looking very clever at all. They also insisted on us ending our alliance with Japan.

Muppets.

I read for relaxation too - but can't read sci fi stuff and imagianary stuff - people who know I like reading keep telling me to read Harry Potter and Twilight and all that - but I can't - I can't read stuff that can't happen.

Anyone can write a book like that - and can end it how they like - with a bit of magic here, and a load of crap there........not a good book for me.

Nothing wrong with a touch of escapism. Horses for courses though.

I recieved Shaun Ryders book and the complete Sherlock Holmes book at christmas. A bit of a contrast there but looking forward to reading them.

The Original Terrace Legend.

Forget everything you may have read about British football hooligans, here is the real deal. For the first time ever Micky Gibbons, The Original Terrace Legend, tells his story in his own words. From his humble beginnings stealing posh kids' footballs to his ultimate hooligan swan song, Micky's story takes you on a journey across the violent terraces of England in the 70's and 80's, to the world cup finals at Italia 90 and culminates in a terrifying showdown with the biggest football firm in the world. This book is not for the faint hearted and those easily offended by strong language, extreme violence and a complete disregard for reality should read no further. For those who choose to read on, do so at your own peril - while this book may not have one iota of truth about it and is probably riddled with spelling mistakes, grammatical errors

and bizarre gaps in the lines [just

like this one] , it might just raise a smile. So what have you got to lose? Go on, take a punt!

Took me about a day to read this - it's really silly but I read the whole thing with a smile on my face and there were a few laugh out loud moments. We got a mention, he said he took the Ossie End at the BBG and ended up fighting on the 18 yard line. It's all good fun but I'm glad I didn't pay too much for it.

• 1 month later...

Just going to copy off the movies and songs threads. Book series right now that I'm reading is the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, on the 7th one(Crown of Swords). It's quite Tolkienesque in a way. Granted, Jordan wasn't the master Tolkien was but I like it a bit more than the LOTR series. Just reading about walking about gets a bit boring after awhile. What about ya'll's favorite book series or books in general?

In no particular order:

A Song of Ice and Fire(series) by George R.R. Martin

The Hobbit by Tolkien

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Any Louis L'Amour Western

Fahrenheit 451

Harry Potter(not an amazing work by any means but it's a good series and will be remembered for a damn long time to come)

I am America, and so can you by Stephen Colbert

There's others, but to name them all would ruin the point.

Anything by Michael Connelly. He writes crime fiction. Two main characters. Harry Bosch, a hard bitten LA homicide detective and Mickey Haller, defence attorney. If you've seen/heard of the film the Lincoln Lawyer (if you haven't it is worth watching) that was based on a Connelly novel. If you like crime fiction and haven't read a Connelly book you need to buy a book of his immediately.

LOTR series was epic.

Anything by Jackie Collins, Martina Cole, Kimberley Chambers or Mandasue Heller. Any of their books, they're all great reads.

Archived