Books

rezner

Thoroughly enjoyed this and others he's written.I think he's a journalist and writes under this pseudonym. Anyway,he seems to know what he's talking about!

His name is Jonathan Freedland.He is a journalist for the guardian.His books are brilliant.His new book-Pantheon is out in february.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read the "Dome" by Stephen King thought it was very very good apart from the end has to be the biggest let down ever!!!! really ***** ending!!! Because I was enjoying it so much I was given "Salems Lot" took a while to get into but now enjoying it quite alot, just hope the ending isnt as bad as "Dome" if it is I will never read nother Stephen King book again!!!!

King does great shopping-list horror novels, but his idea of an ending is pretty crappy all too often. The Stand was a great read, but again let down by a bad ending.

Huxley? Yes, I've read it. Was suggested it as a better version of 1984. Just proved that the person I was talking to didn't get 1984 at all.

ouch, well there are certainly similarities within the books even if the storyline is different between A brave new world and 1984. I personally would pick up A brave new world before 1984 but that is just me.

It was an English degree student who said to me, if you like 1984 you should read Brave New World, as it's the same but better. I think she completely misunderstood 1984. It's not a nightmarish future vision, it's a reflection on 1948 (as well as modern-day) Britain.

It was an English degree student who said to me, if you like 1984 you should read Brave New World, as it's the same but better. I think she completely misunderstood 1984. It's not a nightmarish future vision, it's a reflection on 1948 (as well as modern-day) Britain.

Oh right, i thought it was directed at me because i also said that 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />,to me it is a warning against totalitarianism and it's ilk, i think it was directed towards the soviet union especially, which his book animal farm also addresses communism in the form of stalinism. Again a brave new world I like to think is a message that despite all the control people will rebel against the system and be different, and to try to control everything is fruitless,which is a similar message towards 1984 if on a different line, both warn against controlled societies but for different reasons which I like.

King does great shopping-list horror novels, but his idea of an ending is pretty crappy all too often. The Stand was a great read, but again let down by a bad ending.

Finished salems lot and the ending was a lot better than the dome! Going to check out the 1979 film if I can find a copy anywhere, should be interesting!

I have been given the stand should I not bother starting it? Oh saints have scored......

Oh right, i thought it was directed at me because i also said that 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />,to me it is a warning against totalitarianism and it's ilk, i think it was directed towards the soviet union especially, which his book animal farm also addresses communism in the form of stalinism. Again a brave new world I like to think is a message that despite all the control people will rebel against the system and be different, and to try to control everything is fruitless,which is a similar message towards 1984 if on a different line, both warn against controlled societies but for different reasons which I like.

1984 warns that you're living in a controlling society and you don't even know it.

Finished salems lot and the ending was a lot better than the dome! Going to check out the 1979 film if I can find a copy anywhere, should be interesting!

I have been given the stand should I not bother starting it? Oh saints have scored......

I think The Stand is one of my favourite Stephen King books. Shame the ending wasn't better (not terrible, but just...missed an opportunity). Maybe the quality of the story deserved a brilliant ending.

1984 warns that you're living in a controlling society and you don't even know it.

well yes but your still in a totalitarian system which it warns against, he cared a great deal about this topic, one of the reasons i think is because i think he was in spain at the time of the civil war in 1936.

Read it, also pet cemetery and Christine

Aren't the owners of each brothers? And they're factories were on opposite sides of a river or something?

Yeah, that's it.

Some funny stuff in there. Adidas made Johann Cruyff wear a Holland shirt with only two stripes because he refused to sign a boot deal with Adidas!!

Yeah, that's it.

Some funny stuff in there. Adidas made Johann Cruyff wear a Holland shirt with only two stripes because he refused to sign a boot deal with Adidas!!

Crazy, I remember doing something about in A level business. They were big nazi followers weren't they, then split up after the war because one was more nazi than the other or something? Crazy that 2 of the biggest sports companies in the world were owned by former nazis :/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading 'Pitch Invasion' - the history of Adidas and Puma. Brilliant read.

Just ordered this off eBay for less than £3, based entirely on your judgement.

I've got the third book in the Dexter series to read right now, and I've also ordered Jim Smith's book which has apparently got lost in the post 8-|.

Archived