Cliches mainly used in the football world ( and on here)

hintonsboots

34 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

When did defending deep become a low block?

I wondered about this too. Don't think I'd heard the term before the Euros in the summer but now it's everywhere. The latest fashionable football buzzword.

On 05/10/2024 at 07:41, jono said:

The final 3rd, The final pass, Hoof ball, Route 1, Head tennis, Took one for the team, Trap a bag of cement

(insert manager)Ball, one trick pony, tactical master class. Injury crisis. Park the bus and banks of four.

I think inverted wing backs is really special but I can’t decide whether it’s a defender who can attack or an attacker who can defend or is it both but playing on the wrong side of the pitch to one’s favoured leg. OR could it be gender related can someone explain ? TVM 🤪

False 10 must be a Bo Derek look alike ?

It's when an LB or RB plays in a more central position when their team has the ball. Roberts/Knight under Rosenior, or Alexander-Arnold for Liverpool. Whereas a wing back would hug the touchline and overlap the winger and cause an overload down the wings, an inverted full back is most useful in sides who want to dominate posession - they offer an extra body (or bodies) to pass to when on the ball, but they also assist with winning the ball back in transition due to a more congested midfield.

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's when an LB or RB plays in a more central position when their team has the ball. Roberts/Knight under Rosenior, or Alexander-Arnold for Liverpool. Whereas a wing back would hug the touchline and overlap the winger and cause an overload down the wings, an inverted full back is most useful in sides who want to dominate posession - they offer an extra body (or bodies) to pass to when on the ball, but they also assist with winning the ball back in transition due to a more congested midfield.

Many thanks .. so really the poor effing wingback has to go box to box along the touchline being a dual purpose winger and flank defender and at the same time help out by being an additional DM. To do that right you’d need an engine and a half. !