Sheff UTD (A) - Match Thread

Eoghan1884

19 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Whose idea was it to have Ossie as the outside man in the wall and then not have him jumping?

With regard to my post to which you replied, there is no criticism, implied or otherwise, of JWZ. He was where he should be, the issue was the wall.

Sorry, it was not meant to be a dig at your comment

On 21/09/2024 at 17:29, Crewton said:

I've heard it said that the FK was very dubious - with one of the Madley brothers in charge, I expect nothing else. I'll be glad when him and his even w*nkier brother retire. No problems with SUFC winning the game (it sounds like they deserved it) I just wish it wasn't due in part to crap refereeing again.

I watched the game live and also the highlights just now RamsTV, and in my obviously unbiased opinion Osborn clearly gets the ball. If that's a free kick then any sliding tackle that a defender makes on the wing for example that often causes contact with the attacker should also be a free kick, rather than be applauded as a good tackle.

During the game I hadn't registered who the ref was, but when decisions only seemed to be given to us in non-promising situations, and vice-versa, I clocked who it was and my heart sank.

Another baffling decision was towards the end of the game when CBT in a good attacking position went past a defender on the left wing, only to have mysteriously been adjudged to have fouled the defender.

I note Madley's last game he refereed with us was at Bournemouth when they went up in 2022, and distinctly recall Bournemouth's key first goal after they took a throw in far forward from where the ball went out, much to the ire of the Derby fans as it was under our noses.

Of course I agree Sheff Utd 'deserved' the win as we couldn't match them second half as their quality showed through, but it would be good to not have the feeling that possibly we would have held on for a point with a different referee.

4 minutes ago, WestKentRam said:

I watched the game live and also the highlights just now RamsTV, and in my obviously unbiased opinion Osborn clearly gets the ball. If that's a free kick then any sliding tackle that a defender makes on the wing for example that often causes contact with the attacker should also be a free kick, rather than be applauded as a good tackle.

I think that gets given as a free kick more than 50% of the time.

I'm not 100% sure whether it's a free kick or not even with the video. I think Osborn might make contact with the trailing leg before getting to the ball. But it honestly doesn't matter too much.

In real time the ref sees Osborn desperately dive in with the Sheff U player having gone past him, the Sheff Utd player stumbles before the ball deviates and the ball barely moves off path. And he's looking at it from behind. It's given him a decision to make and that is going to go against the defensive player a high number of times.

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I'm not 100% sure whether it's a free kick or not even with the video. I think Osborn might make contact with the trailing leg before getting to the ball. But it honestly doesn't matter too much.

In real time the ref sees Osborn desperately dive in with the Sheff U player having gone past him, the Sheff Utd player stumbles before the ball deviates and the ball barely moves off path. And he's looking at it from behind. It's given him a decision to make and that is going to go against the defensive player a high number of times.

My take on it is Osborn is sliding in, foot on the floor and Hamer's foot comes down on Ossie's foot/ankle. No foul IMO.

5 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

My take on it is Osborn is sliding in, foot on the floor and Hamer's foot comes down on Ossie's foot/ankle. No foul IMO.

Yeah maybe, but like I said in real time given the angle and what he would have seen a lot of refs are going to think that's a foul.

Also whilst it's not a perfect indicator, Osborn doesn't particular complain about it.

Edited by brady1993

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Yeah maybe, but like I said in real time given the angle and what he would have seen a lot of refs are going to think that's a foul.

Also whilst it's not a perfect indicator, Osborn doesn't particular complain about it.

Live, it looked like a dive (from a long way off and through DCFC tinted spectacles) - checked in with my lad who was watching on TV and said Hamer left his foot in to ensure contact.

On the club highlights, it looks like a dive.

I think Osborn is an experienced pro and knows he put himself in a position where a free kick could be given.

If Hamer had been booked for a dive I don't think he'd have complained too much.

But......we didn't really deserve anything out of the game.

18 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Live, it looked like a dive (from a long way off and through DCFC tinted spectacles) - checked in with my lad who was watching on TV and said Hamer left his foot in to ensure contact.

On the club highlights, it looks like a dive.

I think Osborn is an experienced pro and knows he put himself in a position where a free kick could be given.

If Hamer had been booked for a dive I don't think he'd have complained too much.

But......we didn't really deserve anything out of the game.

That's exactly what it looked like from the tv replay. Infuriating!

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

I certainly don't want VAR and so accept I have to live with what I see as a 'dodgy' decision. I enjoy looking at footage after the game if there is some controversy like this as it makes me feel better about the result if it seems to have been based on such😁.

From the video in my eyes Osborn clearly gets to the ball first as per this screenshot, kicks it away at right angles to the direction Hamer is running in, then Hamer sprawls out over him. It wasn't a tackle from behind but from the side, and these sorts of tackles are applauded if made by a full back against a marauding winger.

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 12.32.11 PM.png