25 Man Squad

DCFC1388

27 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Is there a date by which the 25 are announced? I thought it was a day after the window closed, but I've not seen anything official. My quick count suggests Washington misses out. 

Maybe Luthra won't be picked for the squad and if one of our first team GKs gets injured then one of the young'uns gets a bench spot. I'm pretty sure he's been signed to round out numbers for training but also to fill in in the u21s if we have some injury issues.

2 hours ago, roboto said:

Maybe Luthra won't be picked for the squad and if one of our first team GKs gets injured then one of the young'uns gets a bench spot. I'm pretty sure he's been signed to round out numbers for training but also to fill in in the u21s if we have some injury issues.

Good point and an interesting idea. I'm not sure, in that if Zetterström got sent off, Vickers has always seemed very injury prone. But then I guess it comes down to if Luthra is currently better than all the academy keepers. Warne is quite conservative, so if that's the case I would expect Luthra to be named. 

DET article today states Rooney, Robinson & Brown wont need to be registered but it will leave us with 26 players but it is likely that Luthra wont be registered as we can register him at a later date if we need to due to injuries etc to the registered GKs

43 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

DET article today states Rooney, Robinson & Brown wont need to be registered but it will leave us with 26 players but it is likely that Luthra wont be registered as we can register him at a later date if we need to due to injuries etc to the registered GKs

The 26th man can only be registered as a replacement under extenuating circumstances (whether GK or not) - essenitally it won't happen. The guidance notes in the regulations state: "in other truly exceptional circumstances to include but not be limited to those set out in the note from EFL Player Admin found on the EFL Portal."

However, if Zetterstrom and Vickers were injured (and Luthra not registered) an emergency keeper can be loaned in.

On 03/09/2024 at 10:49, Carl Sagan said:

Good point and an interesting idea. I'm not sure, in that if Zetterström got sent off, Vickers has always seemed very injury prone. But then I guess it comes down to if Luthra is currently better than all the academy keepers. Warne is quite conservative, so if that's the case I would expect Luthra to be named. 

Iirc you can make adjustments to the squad mid season more flexibly when it comes to Goalkeepers, if things go wrong. Hence the "emergency loan" capability under extreme circumstances.

Edited by SaintRam

On 04/09/2024 at 11:33, DCFC1388 said:

On 04/09/2024 at 12:31, Ghost of Clough said:

The 26th man can only be registered as a replacement under extenuating circumstances (whether GK or not) - essenitally it won't happen. The guidance notes in the regulations state: "in other truly exceptional circumstances to include but not be limited to those set out in the note from EFL Player Admin found on the EFL Portal."

However, if Zetterstrom and Vickers were injured (and Luthra not registered) an emergency keeper can be loaned in.

14 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Iirc you can make adjustments to the squad mid season more flexibly when it comes to Goalkeepers, if things go wrong. Hence the "emergency loan" capability under extreme circumstances.

Interesting on the GK situation. In the Championship the squad is 25 players, whereas in Leagues 1 and 2 it is 22 players, but this number does not include keepers who don't have to be registered. So there is clearly a tacit assumption of 3 keepers in the 25 man squad. I'd worry if we didn't do that, then the EFL might well turn round and say it was our choice/fault. 

Hopefully Zetterström and Vickers stay fighting fit and on tip top form all season regardless. 

On 04/09/2024 at 11:33, DCFC1388 said:

When the DET write "likely" it means they have been told by the club, but just can't say that publicly for whatever reason.

Luthra is normally in the the matchday squad in terms of warming up the GKs at the beginning of the game when we usually have all 3 there.....with him not being registered does that mean he cant be involved in matchdays? Also, can he play for the u21s?

52 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Luthra is normally in the the matchday squad in terms of warming up the GKs at the beginning of the game when we usually have all 3 there.....with him not being registered does that mean he cant be involved in matchdays? Also, can he play for the u21s?

I believe under 21s can be called upon if required according to an article I read earlier. So makes sense not to use up a place in the 25

I called it earlier 😉 not ITK…

It makes sense though. The lad has been brought n as emergency cover. He hasn’t got a reputation as a keeper with potential to make it as a first choice, he was always a cheap bench option and someone who wouldn’t mind playing for u21s if we need to promote one of our youth keepers or let them go out on loan.

He can still be involved with keeper training and match day warm ups and if a crisis occurs then he could be put in the squad in January, but it’s unlikely.

Interesting to see. With 9 subs, so 20 players, my expectation is that those left out will normally be on the treatment table. Though with what's a clear improvement in competition for places, there may be fewer in the treatment room. For instance, Gouldmijn was meant to be a doubt for the Bristol City game, but played with a strong performance. These guys can't really afford to miss a match, in case they lose the shirt. 

But if the squad is fully fit, missing out for me would be Bradley, Thompson, Barkhuizen, Washington and Blackett-Taylor. 

Edited by Carl Sagan
Forgot Washington. Easy to do!