Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

37 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

because it shows that we were very fortunate to win the game and that it really had very little to do with warnes 'tactics' (like the previous poster said) and more to do with luck. Therefore its not a sustainable approach short,medium, or long term.

Do you ever get bored flying in the face of popular opinion

Must be very tiring for you I imagine 

43 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

because it shows that we were very fortunate to win the game and that it really had very little to do with warnes 'tactics' (like the previous poster said) and more to do with luck. Therefore it’s not a sustainable approach short,medium, or long term.

It had a fair bit to do with the tactics. And they were clearly intentional. Watching the highlights back, before the corner that led to our goal they’ve got the ball on halfway and we’re standing off them allowing them to have the ball and holding a very compact shape with Collins point back to the midfielders, so before we scored we were set up to be organised and counter.

Reading the match report in their local paper it talks about how they struggled breaking teams down last season, which suggests that the coaching staff had done some research and chosen an approach to get something from the game.

You mention the shot hitting the post, it hit the post because Bradley blocked the shot, a defensive effort that stopped the shot hitting the target, I’d argue he’s “made his own luck” there. Their disallowed header was another decisive defensive action with Nyambe (I think) stepping up at the last minute.

It wasn’t pretty, and I’ll agree with you it’s not sustainable or even desirable (cause that’s what you’re really pushing here is a preference for a style of play that Warne doesn’t deliver) in the medium to long term, but it proved effective yesterday as the history books will forever show Derby County 1, Middlesbrough 0 on the 17th of August  2024. Now it’s onto the next one and the next one, and the next one with Warne and co finding a way of us securing some more points along the way. And if it proves effective enough to keep us up so it’s more of the same again next year as you suggest, then great, cause we’ll continue being a championship side. 

56 minutes ago, ipad1977 said:

As said previously I don't try to involve myself in politics, chairmen and all that gubbins that comes hand in hand with football. Obviously I encounter plenty of fans of other sides so am aware of issues that affect them, but focus on the football being played, it's after all why I love the game. As far as I'm aware Gibson rightly or wrongly felt cheated so took his grievance further. He's someone who is anal about following financial rules so feels aggrieved if he misses out to those that bend them?

I don't know if he wanted to bury your club per se, but was most likely seeking some kind of recompense for possiby missing out on the playoffs. Do I think it was taken too far? Quite possibly, though in a strange twist of fate you may actually be better off moving forward with Mel gone as a result.

I wasn't at the match today as had to work down in Devonport (such is life) so wasn't aware of any chants that had been made tbh. I don't think I'd celebrate any club going under, even Newcastle or Sunderland, despite our feelings towards them. There will always be elements of a club's support that embrace gallows humour, the chants about Jimmy Saville towards Leeds fans being a case in point, but they're seldom indicative of a club's entire fan base.

Do I think the recent hoo-hah was used as an extra-motivation towards your side in the game's build up? Again, it's possible, coaches will often try and seek an angle for such things, but that's not why I feared facing your lot today. Its more the case that we were always more likely to lose such a game, it's what we do. While nothing is set in stone, I was as confident of that happening and the result being in your favour no matter how much we dominated the game, as confident as I am of us turning the likes of Burnley and Luton over, or as confident as I am of your getting a result at the Riverside against us too for that matter.

It's just the way things go.

Bends the rules like moving the clubs losses to your haulage company you mean.😂

If you think Steve gibbon is an honourable man you should should read up about him and his dealings with the Port Authorities.

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

My turn, if it wasn’t for Bobby Zamora we’d be in the Premier League.

ok, thanks for bringing that up. Not sure what that proves though, other than mac's tactics were so close to getting us in the prem

1 hour ago, Kathcairns said:

Why not enjoy the win like most fans did, take each game as it comes. I know the forum is to discuss different opinions but im just glad my first game back was a win and 3 points.

of course i enjoy the 3 points. It's just that playing consistently like that will likely just result with us back in league 1 again.

22 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Bends the rules like moving the clubs losses to your haulage company you mean.😂

If you think Steve gibbon is an honourable man you should should read up about him and his dealings with the Port Authorities.

'I want the eyeballs out of your effing skull', I think was one particularly honourable statement.

Can't see Mr Clowes, or even Mel behaving that way.

2 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

would you still say that if their shot had gone in off the post rather than back out?

or if their pass had made it to the gk ?

If those things had happened then the tactics may have changed, but they didn't happen, so the tactics employed for what actually happened won the game, so they were spot on. Simples.

2 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

would you still say that if their shot had gone in off the post rather than back out?

or if their pass had made it to the gk ?

But they didn't...🙄

Here you go put it in reverse and it'll take you back to a time of your choice

image.thumb.png.c8875221d0c5c6d687b4d617628d7aeb.png

46 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It had a fair bit to do with the tactics. And they were clearly intentional. Watching the highlights back, before the corner that led to our goal they’ve got the ball on halfway and we’re standing off them allowing them to have the ball and holding a very compact shape with Collins point back to the midfielders, so before we scored we were set up to be organised and counter.

Reading the match report in their local paper it talks about how they struggled breaking teams down last season, which suggests that the coaching staff had done some research and chosen an approach to get something from the game.

You mention the shot hitting the post, it hit the post because Bradley blocked the shot, a defensive effort that stopped the shot hitting the target, I’d argue he’s “made his own luck” there. Their disallowed header was another decisive defensive action with Nyambe (I think) stepping up at the last minute.

It wasn’t pretty, and I’ll agree with you it’s not sustainable or even desirable (cause that’s what you’re really pushing here is a preference for a style of play that Warne doesn’t deliver) in the medium to long term, but it proved effective yesterday as the history books will forever show Derby County 1, Middlesbrough 0 on the 17th of August  2024. Now it’s onto the next one and the next one, and the next one with Warne and co finding a way of us securing some more points along the way. And if it proves effective enough to keep us up so it’s more of the same again next year as you suggest, then great, cause we’ll continue being a championship side. 

havng a compact shape and planning to counter attack is ok, but lets not pretend that really had much to do with the goal. It was just a poor back pass from their player. It wasn't like we were counter attacking them as it was only jackson attempting to press by himself.

How exactly were we planning creating a goal? there was nothing outside of the usual corner kicks. Or was warne's plan to play for a 0-0 ?

you say bradley 'made his own luck' blocking it onto the post. But if it had gone just an inch or so to the side it would have gone in, meaning realistically we had very little control over the situation.

yep, it did somehow work and history will show 1-0 win, but it might well cost us this weekend after needing such an effort.

2 hours ago, Foreveram said:

If we had scored a second goal at Blackburn when we were on top we could be top of the league.

If we had a different referee against Juventus we could have won the European Cup.

OK now it’s your turn 🙂

If his Auntie had Bo**ox she'd kick him in his Bo**ox

33 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

'I want the eyeballs out of your effing skull', I think was one particularly honourable statement.

Can't see Mr Clowes, or even Mel behaving that way.

And the roof of your house was another.

7 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

you say bradley 'made his own luck' blocking it onto the post. But if it had gone just an inch or so to the side it would have gone in, meaning realistically we had very little control over the situation.

But it didn’t go in, that’s the point! You’re the one posting gifs suggesting other people are missing the point and yet you can’t seem to accept what ACTUALLY happened in favour of posting a series of hypothetical “what ifs”.

Through a combination of tactics, effort, teamwork, and yes “luck”, yesterday we won. It’s done.

Now you’re right, we can’t approach every game that way, and Warne said we won’t, so I’m going to wait and see how the next one goes rather than going round and round with what COULD have happened yesterday. Have a good night Chris.