Transfer rumours

I think I would rather have a solid defence then tonnes of firepower for this season. Peterborough always seemed to score lots of goals in the Championship but they always conceded the most, as a result they never stayed for long. I am comfortable knowing there will be lots of scrappy, horrible matches where a clean sheet is a must. Signing a solid goalkeeper and keeping that back line are a great foundation going into next season, where the level of opposition attacking talent greatly improves. 

Midfield signings have been excellent on paper. The lack of energy in midfield was our biggest weakness in League One, I lost count how many times Bird and Hourihane used to get bullied off the ball and could never recover, relying on the defence to get them out of jail. Ebou, Ozoh and Osborn as our first choice centre midfielders sounds brilliant. They might not provide much going forward but they will certainly have the ability to go into battle in the middle of the pitch, as a newly promoted team I would value this over creative flair.  

Ok, the petulant teenager in me is annoyed that PW said we’d have a new player joining us yesterday. I know I’m being mardy but where is he?? I want my new signing now! 

To be fair, the new player is probably with the rest of the lads for training today but won’t be announced until later. 

9 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Ok, the petulant teenager in me is annoyed that PW said we’d have a new player joining us yesterday. I know I’m being mardy but where is he?? I want my new signing now! 

To be fair, the new player is probably with the rest of the lads for training today but won’t be announced until later. 

Hopefully they're holding it back for a double-announcement!

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Beilik (£10m) was said to be the “ Player that guarantees promotion”. The “Beast” was played at the back by Cocu , who said he was not fit enough for midfield . At the same time , we could have had Ollie Watkins for £4 m. Hindsight is a wonderful thing . 

Watkins was at Brentford for 2 years before we signed Bielik, with them selling him for £34m the year after

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Beilik (£10m) was said to be the “ Player that guarantees promotion”. The “Beast” was played at the back by Cocu , who said he was not fit enough for midfield . At the same time , we could have had Ollie Watkins for £4 m. Hindsight is a wonderful thing . 

We were a different team with Bielek than without. A full season with him fit I suspect we are never part of a relegation battle during the season we stayed up on the last day. 

I do think we will be fine defensively, midfield is shaping up nicely too.

We could just do with a Mitrovic and Knockheart type (in their prime of course). 

Someone up front who can stick his foot on it and hold it up and knows where the net is and a Championship quality match winner.   Get them and I think we look alright.  Finding them is where Mark Thomas earns his wage and my respect.

59 minutes ago, SSD said:

I think I would rather have a solid defence then tonnes of firepower for this season. Peterborough always seemed to score lots of goals in the Championship but they always conceded the most, as a result they never stayed for long. I am comfortable knowing there will be lots of scrappy, horrible matches where a clean sheet is a must. Signing a solid goalkeeper and keeping that back line are a great foundation going into next season, where the level of opposition attacking talent greatly improves. 

Midfield signings have been excellent on paper. The lack of energy in midfield was our biggest weakness in League One, I lost count how many times Bird and Hourihane used to get bullied off the ball and could never recover, relying on the defence to get them out of jail. Ebou, Ozoh and Osborn as our first choice centre midfielders sounds brilliant. They might not provide much going forward but they will certainly have the ability to go into battle in the middle of the pitch, as a newly promoted team I would value this over creative flair.  

How's the job search going Billy? I thought you were quite badly treated but your football was pretty dour.....

🤭

27 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I think once Ozoh and Zetterstrom are signed. We need a target man number 9. A goal scoring number 10. A LWB and a pacey centre back.

That would make it a very good transfer window in my eyes  

It would , but listening to him talk about brown the other day and the fact we have collo recently signing a new contract , it makes me think he's happy with the up top as it is , as long as we get the defensive bodies in we need , which would upset me 😩

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

It would , but listening to him talk about brown the other day and the fact we have collo recently signing a new contract , it makes me think he's happy with the up top as it is , as long as we get the defensive bodies in we need , which would upset me 😩

Didn't he say himself he wanted a target man?

3 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

How's the job search going Billy? I thought you were quite badly treated but your football was pretty dour.....

🤭

Has anyone actually heard anything of Davros since they cut off the internet to his "command centre"....?

Just now, dcfcreece1601 said:

Wonder If he'll have anymore left to spend? With the GK that's atleast 3 players we've signed for probably close to 2mil between them?

He said some will leave. Some probably loans, but you could see 3 or 4 peripheries going at some point.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

He said some will leave. Some probably loans, but you could see 3 or 4 peripheries going at some point.

Didn't he insinuate that fans would be upset by one of the potential leavers - could be £££ing in on Cash, which would obviously raise some more £££ towards strengthening some of the other positions (and a replacement). 

2 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Didn't he insinuate that fans would be upset by one of the potential leavers - could be £££ing in on Cash, which would obviously raise some more £££ towards strengthening some of the other positions (and a replacement). 

Depends how literally you wanted to take it. I took it that it was a general statement over some fans liking some players in football. I don't think he's that daft to hit you with subliminals over selling Cashin.