Viktor Johansson - gone to Stoke

If we're resigned to Wildsmith not signing a deal, then we should be all over this.
Absolutely top keeper who is destined for the Premier League. 

If we lose Wildsmith, then I can see this having legs, even if I'd be tempted to stick with Vickers and a promoting youth into reserve; especially as we are still acclimatising financially and need to watch the whole losses over 3 years thing. Staying competitive, whilst still staying outside the gaze of the EFL.

12 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

No way we would blow all our budget on a keeper. Now if there was a forward available at 900k...

If our budget is 900k then we may as well look forward to league 1 again.

There's no way he'll only be given under a mill. We just wouldn't compete, he's already said that.

3 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

There's no way he'll only be given under a mill. We just wouldn't compete, he's already said that.

Well we will see. Can't see us spending more that 900k on a single player. Prob about 2m in total, unless that is, we sell Cashin.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Crewton said:

So you'd spend nearly £1m on a goalkeeper who conceded 85 goals in the Championship, but wouldn't spend anything on the guy who changed the course of our season?

Stop trolling us youth, we ain't buying it 😉

Well it depends what our budget is

i want to avoid paying money for older players because 2-3 years down the line they are worthless and will leave for nothing. I would rather spent 900k now on a guy we could get 5+ years out of than 500k on a guy that gives us 2 years tops.

If you sign a player for 900k on a 5 year deal or a 500k player on a 2 year deal it costs the same amount of money per season for the club. Nobody pays transfer fees upfront anymore

Edited by alram

13 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Exactly, we are not going to compete if a player worth 900k is out of our budget. 

2 minutes ago, alram said:

Well it depends what our budget is

i want to avoid paying money for older players because 2-3 years down the line they are worthless and will leave for nothing. I would rather spent 900k now on a guy we could get 5+ years out of than 500k on a guy that gives us 2 years tops.

If you sign a player for 900k on a 5 year deal or a 500k player on a 2 year deal it costs the same amount of money per season for the club

I get that, but at the moment we need an Ebou more than a new goalkeeper and why would we give any player a 5 year contract? That's very Mel Morris isn't it?

11 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Well we will see. Can't see us spending more that 900k on a single player. Prob about 2m in total, unless that is, we sell Cashin.

I'd say he'd have between 2-3mill plus anything from sales, I'd be amazed if Cash is still here come the summer.

Purely speculating by the way, I have no idea what the budget will be but we'll go nowhere with around a 1 mill budget.

15 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

And just for comparison, last season's promoted teams spent 1.3m, 2.1m and 4.5m respectively.

11 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

And just for comparison, last season's promoted teams spent 1.3m, 2.1m and 4.5m respectively.

Plymouth and Rotherham are small clubs who will always have a small budget unless they sell (Plymouth -Whittaker) 

we’re more in the Ipswich category. Ticket sales will still give us an advantage over those clubs  

Bristol City fans are keen on Johansson as cover for their first-choice keeper, which suggests he might not be that much of an upgrade on either Wildsmith or Vickers, though obviously a few years younger.

13 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Bristol City fans are keen on Johansson as cover for their first-choice keeper, which suggests he might not be that much of an upgrade on either Wildsmith or Vickers, though obviously a few years younger.

And they're idiots if they think Johnasson is only a back up keeper. He's top top quality. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Plymouth and Rotherham are small clubs who will always have a small budget unless they sell (Plymouth -Whittaker) 

we’re more in the Ipswich category. Ticket sales will still give us an advantage over those clubs  

Not Rotheram mate, Sheff Wed were the ones spending 1.3m only. 

Edited by therealhantsram

There's a surprising amount of buzz around him from other Championship teams, considering he's just been relegated with a fucktonne or got conceded. I've never seen him play, but it sounds like there might be a fairly hefty bidding war for him.

On 05/05/2024 at 10:05, Tombo said:

I know lots of factors contribute to things like this but there is a basic fact that the bloke conceded 85 league goals this season

Call me cynical but are we saying that they would have conceded well into the triple figures without him?

We need to be absolutely 100% sure if we're going to let Wildsmith go to sign this guy.

Let 23/24 League One's Golden Glove winner go for nothing, just to sign the statistically worst goalkeeper in the 23/24 Championship??

He got in team of the year, I’m pretty sure for example if Allison was in goal for sheff Utd they’d still be bottom.

Football about more than stats at times.

Also, like someone else says we have no idea what our budget is so pointless speculating. Personally happy being linked with players for fees again. Trust clowes to keep us on a stable footing so can spend what he deems fit.

14 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

He got in team of the year, I’m pretty sure for example if Allison was in goal for sheff Utd they’d still be bottom.

Football about more than stats at times.

Also, like someone else says we have no idea what our budget is so pointless speculating. Personally happy being linked with players for fees again. Trust clowes to keep us on a stable footing so can spend what he deems fit.

I do totally understand that football is more than just stats and there are lots of factors other than the keeper at play when we look at goals conceded.

However I really must insist on this, what good is a goalkeeper if he doesn't stop you conceding nearly a hundred goals?

Are we really saying that the rest of the Rotherham team was so severely out of their depth that with one of the best keepers in the league they still conceded that many goals? If they had a bang average Champ goalkeeper they would have basically picked up about 5 points all year and conceded a hundred goals?

I've honestly never seen the guy play so I'm not qualified to say if he is any good. I just need to know what is so good about him if he concedes about 2 goals a game in the Championship?

Also, if I was to use your Premier League analogy, how would newly promoted Ipswich fans feel if they signed Wes Foderingham from the Blades??

13 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I do totally understand that football is more than just stats and there are lots of factors other than the keeper at play when we look at goals conceded.

However I really must insist on this, what good is a goalkeeper if he doesn't stop you conceding nearly a hundred goals?

Are we really saying that the rest of the Rotherham team was so severely out of their depth that with one of the best keepers in the league they still conceded that many goals? If they had a bang average Champ goalkeeper they would have basically picked up about 5 points all year and conceded a hundred goals?

I've honestly never seen the guy play so I'm not qualified to say if he is any good. I just need to know what is so good about him if he concedes about 2 goals a game in the Championship?

Also, if I was to use your Premier League analogy, how would newly promoted Ipswich fans feel if they signed Wes Foderingham from the Blades??

Didn’t Ramsdale get relegated and then a big money move?

I see your point, but if we’ve watched him and very few goals are the keepers fault then I think a good signing. Wildsmith won golden glove but think we all agree was better the season before.

personally be happy with Wildsmith staying, but if doesn’t want to then maybe this our best option.

Johansson is a fantastic shot stopper. Some would argue the best in the league. However, any side wanting to play out from the back or even 'mix it up' would be taking a risk. This season, only 1 in 5 passes is played short, and 1 in 6 last season. For comparison, Wildsmith and Vickers go short 40-50% of the time.