Derby County v Charlton: Player Ratings

Ellafella

RamsTV

1Wildsmith - 4 (Cost us a goal by delaying coming out and then being reckless - and then jumping up and down and getting done my May timing his run so he took the penalty when JW was in the air and incapable of diving either way almost guaranteeing a goal)

24Nyambe - 6 We'll miss him if he's missing at the weekend. Ward, Wilson and Smith are not of his standard

7Barkhuizen - 5 didn't seem to get involved

35Nelson - 6.5 held their defender down well so the lad couldn't jump for the ball allowing Cash to head home

5Bradley - 6 not perfect but adequate

6Cashin - 7 LCH or LB there's not a great deal of difference and at least we had a defender in that role

2Wilson - 5 looked good beating his man several times but the final ball was poor

12Smith - 6 combined with Adams in controlling MF especially 1st half

17Sibley - 6 Nowt exceptional  but no blunders either

32Adams - 7 Rock in MF. Awful pass from Wilson that led to their 2nd

27Blackett-Taylor - 6 nothing to judge him on

11Méndez-Laing - 4 apart from the last 10 minutes or so totally ineffective in open play

8Bird 🐦 -  6 adequate in his defensive role, apart from 1 poor pass couldn't do much in an attacking sense as there was no decent outlet

25Gayle - 6 needs the ball in the channels to run on to

10Waghorn - 5 looked rusty, little wonder considering how long he's been out

11 hours ago, Crewton said:

1Wildsmith     2   Mistakes more than outweighed any good stuff he did.

24Nyambe   6.5  Did OK until injured, looked to attack 1st half, but KTS by Charlton

7Barkhuizen   4  Might as well not have bothered.

35Nelson   6.5  Didn't shirk confrontations playing with a bandage around his head, but got dragged around a bit 2nd half.

5Bradley   5.5 Got exposed for pace due to disorganisation infront of him.

6Cashin    6.5  Good headed goal, played well in an unfamiliar position.

2Wilson   6  Seemed a bit at sea at times, but did cause Charlton defence some tricky moments.

12Smith  7 MotM - substitution scuppered us. Hard to understand without an explanation from the manager.

17Sibley  5.5  Got on the ball enough, but struggled to do anything right.

32Adams  6  Better than at Barnsley, but constant assaults by Jones' thugs eventually took its toll.

27Blackett-Taylor   5.5  No time to do much. We need to start seeing why we signed him.

11Méndez-Laing  5  His worst game for DCFC? Struggled to do anything right but looked exhausted.

8Bird 🐦 6  Never gave up trying to create something and was doing 3 players work by the end.

25Gayle  6  Some good movement and touches, but needs better service where he can cause damage.

10Waghorn  5.5  Didn't make much impact, but not surprising after a long lay-off

The Team of Officlals 0, Zero, Zilch, Nada - another bunch that need binning. Completely derogated their duty of care and need for balance. Do they all go to the same Church as Jones? 😉

What about the gaffer 🤔

1Wildsmith                4

24Nyambe                6

7Barkhuizen             5

35Nelson                  6.5

5Bradley                   6

6Cashin                    7

2Wilson                    5

12Smith                    6.5

17Sibley                    5

32Adams                  6

27Blackett-Taylor     5

11Méndez-Laing       5

8Bird 🐦                     5

25Gayle                     5.5

10Waghorn                5

ATG

1Wildsmith 4.5 - A poor game from Joe. Having thought he was the best of two pretty strong keepers for the division, I now find myself questioning that call. What on earth has changed?

24Nyambe 6.5 - He seems critical to our ability to be resolute in defence. My heart sank when I saw he was injured. His absence, along with Fozzy's has been a sobering experience. The game changed the moment he left the field.

7Barkhuizen 4.5 - Seems to have gone back into his shell. This was a poor effort.

35Nelson 6.5 - On the end of some nasty stuff but fought to hold the line. He'll have better days.

5Bradley 5.0 - A dip in form after several pretty decent outings. I'm not sure we can play him and Nyambe without losing our shape a little, if it means sacrificing Cash in the middle.

6Cashin 7.0 - One of only two players who I thought really shone in an otherwise very ordinary team performance. He really is a good young player and a role model for the team, including his elders.

2Wilson 6.0 - I think his form has dipped a little in recent weeks, but with injuries requiring reshuffles and him not being played as is optimal, there is some mitigation. Needs to work hard to improve his delivery to fulfil his threat.

12Smith 7.0 - Has been something of a revelation in recent games and if he chooses to continue with it, perhaps Warne now has a midfield 3 to work with. He must surely start the next game?

17Sibley 5.0 - One of those games that give his critics ammunition. A sadly nondescript performance.

32Adams 6.5 - Gave his all and despite errors, that at least earns him credit with me. He's instantly made himself a standing fixture in any line-up and a few others might want to buck their ideas up as he's making them look half-arsed.

27Blackett-Taylor 5.0 - Can't say I know too much about the lad really. Some on here spoke highly of him and he fits the profile of a good signing, but I've yet to see what he's about. Very early days and carrying a niggle, are the valid excuses, but much more will be expected moving forwards.

11Méndez-Laing 5.5 - Is basically getting double-teamed out of every game at the moment. Depressing that we've yet to work out how to use that to our advantage. Nate ran hard and tried his best as he always did, but it was an unequal struggle.

8Bird   6.0 - Has been magnificent in recent weeks, but this was a subdued performance from Max. Not a game he appeared to enjoy at all and I'd hope to see him back to his best quickly, as we need him in form if we are to prosper.

25Gayle 6.5 - He looks pretty sharp and he buzzed around taking up good positions and making positive runs throughout. I think he's a good signing, but we do need to think about how we play to his particular strengths. Perhaps Max could play a slightly higher line and look for to put him in behind defenders with his passing ability?

10Waghorn 5.5 - Nice to see Waggy return to the fold. How we could use some return on our investment in him and Wash. Not their fault they got injured, but I'm hoping Waggy can at least chip in with a few late season goals. I think he'll need to.

WarneWatch: Bit frustrated to be honest. Every time we appear to settle on a system that the players can grasp and execute, we immediately set about changing it. I'd say yet again that we should revert to what clearly worked best, but it seems that for the most part, we're going to start with a back 5 and despite having recruited to service that formation, it seems to yield as many tribulations as triumphs. For me this team looks best with a flat back 4. I'd go with Nyambe - Nelson - Cash - Fozz with Bradley as first alternate for the CBs. Injuries have again plagued us this season and continue to do so, but I feel that even a back 4 with Sibs at LB works better than the alternative. As it is, we've dropped the ball these last two games and a significantly different mindset and performance is now mandatory to address increasing disquiet among the fanbase.

1Wildsmith 4.5  Like @Comrade 86, I felt Wildsmith was the better of our two keepers and felt much more comfortable when he came back in, but now I am confused and worried.  My attention was drawn throughout the first half to a furious Richie Barker, bawling, gesticulating and shaking his head at our unresponsive keeper who was seemingly not releasing the ball quick enough.  I was speechless at his ridiculous charge out of his goal, when covering defenders were clearly present and the lame kick at their forward to concede a completely unnecessary penalty.  Following this, he then fluffed a clearance, slicing it in the manner of my wife swinging wildly at a beachball after several generous long island ice teas.  In mitigation perhaps, the game had already become a farcical and frenetic game of pinball played by a hyperactive toddler and so perhaps he merely became infected with the moronic miasma that had first enveloped the referee, then the players, coaches and finally everyone in the stadium (one guy in front berating Wilson being a good exemplar).  I certainly felt 25 % stupider upon leaving the ground.

24Nyambe 6.5 Was looking strong and decisive before his injury.  A couple of good raids forward and a silly long range shot.  Any serious injury is a huge blow to our campaign.  Why aren't we allowed to have full backs any more?

7Barkhuizen 5.5 I was surprised that he came on when he did and didn't notice him much after that.  His body language is generally miserable and weary, much like myself!

35Nelson 7  A warrior who always takes responsibility.  He even managed to sling a few decent balls into their box.  I didn't see the altercation with their player, just the aftermath and he seemed extremely frustrated at the wrestling during set-pieces but was giving as good as he was getting.

5Bradley 6  Generally defended ok as far as I could tell, bar a few dodgy clearances, possibly panicking due to their press.

6Cashin  7.5  A baffling decision to play him left back was almost made to look reasonable by Cashin.  I felt embarrassed for Warne when he explained that he simply wanted to keep all of his best players on the pitch and this was the solution.  Just stop that now.  He nearly got done for pace a few times and most other teams would have exploited this unnecessary flaw and roasted him.  Instead, Charlton played quite narrow and Cashin used his nous to read the game. The fact that he looked like the best footballer on the pitch is in no way an endorsement of him playing full back.  His sheer power and determination took him through a crowd of players to head in the opener.  Sometimes the raking balls forward did not come off, but without him trying to start the play we look lost. 

2Wilson 5  A real off day for Kane got worse when he was needed to revert to right back.  The sight of him and NML taking people on inside our own half is terrifying.  He played a dozy ball back to Adams which put him under pressure (although what happened next was totally unexpected as Adams ingested a big gulp of moronic miasma and lost the ball underneath him in a way which look harder to do than not).

12Smith 6.5  I liked much about this display from Smith.  He seemed sharp and snappy.  He won several headers after majestic leaps and hit a pea-roller than was just wide.  He was guilty of one moronic moment in the first half when he pinged the ball straight to their onrushing players.

17Sibley 5.5  I had to remove half a point because he too succumbed to the miasma with that gormless shot high into the South Stand.  Apart from that struggled to get involved but tried his best.

32Adams 6  His entire Derby career so far seems to have entailed enduring repeated manslaughter attempts by the opposition and being punished by the referee instead of protected.  He is entitled to feel persecuted and generally tolerates this somehow without losing his mind. Merits the miasma induced minus though for dummying the ball to set up their second goal.

27Blackett-Taylor 6 Did not see him really, not enough time to get going.  Thought he should have come on instead of Barkhuizen if we were insisting on doing that kind of thing.

11Méndez-Laing 6 In open play nothing really came off, despite his usual impressive determination and effort.  One moment, when he raced sideways across our own half, was particularly emblematic of the whole affair.  Some really good set pieces though, one of which was the corner we scored from.  This is encouraging, because it means we don't have to perpetuate a dependence on Hourihane.

8Bird 🐦 6 He had the world-weary look of Barkhuizen and I think must be one of the "gassed out" gang that Warne referred to afterwards.  Didn't execute the right passes and seemed to waft about on the periphery at times.  A couple of good interceptions got us driving forward in the first half.

25Gayle 6 One the few encouraging sights of that evening.  Admittedly, he didn't get the ball much but he when he did, he used it well, with one neat flick to a team mate that stood out.  He looked sharp and very motivated.  He pressed and made menacing movements.  Whilst he may have lost some power and pace, he looked sprightly and I do think he is highly capable of scoring and otherwise offering us real attacking instinct at this level.

10Waghorn 5.5  It was so good to see him.  His playful, fatuous demeanour is itself a real tonic, the antitheses of Barkhuizen (and myself generally tbf).  One pathetic prod when well placed to score, but he will get sharper with each game obviously and adds a muscular presence and some free kick options.  So good to be able to balance his fitness and Gayle's.

WARNE - I've kept positive generally but his decision making was very frustrating.  He did however speak afterwards about the players needing to slow the game down at times in order to manage it better.  I was relieved to hear this because sometimes he seems to justify the pinball.  However, if he wants more control than is on display, he needs to find a better way of communicating this and facilitating it to happen, because it rarely has this year.  This match was a marker for me - not quite a final straw but a significant sign that I cannot shake off, no matter how much I want him to succeed here.

ATG - although after the equaliser, I think I left my body so as not to get caught up in any wasted excitement or stress, as we smashed the ball around desperately as per usual.