Another one bites the dust

FindernRam

OK its a small club in National League South, but for over a hundred years Torquay United has been a stalwart of the the English leagues and now it is in administration and the future looks very bleak.

I'm a Devonian by birth and Torquay was my club, difficult to reach in the 50's/60's from where I lived and Dad had no car. I loved the games and my favourite memory was watching them play Spurs in an FA cup game in 65 that ended 3-3. I watched from halfway up the floodlight pylon. I was 14 years old then. A copper below me told me to get down, gave up, then said if I fell down it'd better not be on him!

Torquay also pioneered Friday evening games due to so many fans being involved in hospitality and Saturday was change over day for tourists. For many years they had the lowest debt ratio of any professional team in England but a gentle slide down to non league ensued and now the current owner has walked.

I feel for the 1700 regular fans (2nd best in that league!).

On 25/02/2024 at 22:09, IslandExile said:

Didn't they play on Saturday evenings? I remember their result being given out on MOTD.

Of course you are right. Brain freeze on my part. But they did move KO times around. The Spurs game I mentioned, kicked off at (I think) 2.15 p.m. so Spurs fans could catch last train back to London instead of spending the weekend in glorious Devon. My Dad was furious as he didn't finish work in Exeter till 12 and had to travel on a football special to Torquay with loads of Spurs fans.

On 25/02/2024 at 22:09, IslandExile said:

Didn't they play on Saturday evenings? I remember their result being given out on MOTD.

No matter, I sincerely hope they get through this, survive and thrive.

I seem to think it was Tranmere Rovers who were the t club to regularly play their home games on a Friday night.

FA Cup replay on a Tuesday night in November 2022, they brought lots of noisy, passionate fans.  At 4:0 down, they sang “we’re gonna win 5:4”.  Goodness knows what time they got home.  

As always, it’s the fans who will suffer most from this sad news.