Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

Just now, Dava75 said:

We won against Middlesboro with a dogged performance in which both of these players played a significant proportion of the match. If its a backs to the wall performance both will put their bodies on the line. Every match won’t be the same - but agree that I would expect both of them to feature a lot less than others given the step up in quality.

Isn’t it good that we actually have competition for places all over the pitch - and that we have a squad that can adapt to different formations and approaches to a game if/when needed.

COYR 🐏 

I'd argue that it may not have been quite the alamo if we had Jerry Yates up front though. No doubt, Collins did do his bit in that game, but it was obvious he lacked the required mobility. Collins will have a few moments this season in the last 10 minutes of games, but I do worry if Yates misses multiple games that we will struggle - Warne has to start Brown in those games, in my opinion. We already know he will miss both Swansea games.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

I'd argue that it may not have been quite the alamo if we had Jerry Yates up front though. No doubt, Collins did do his bit in that game, but it was obvious he lacked the required mobility. Collins will have a few moments this season in the last 10 minutes of games, but I do worry if Yates misses multiple games that we will struggle - Warne has to start Brown in those games, in my opinion. We already know he will miss both Swansea games.

No need to argue. I’ve agreed with most of what you said….and I agree with your point on Collins mobility and your view on giving Brown the opportunity……. let’s enjoy not losing for 2 weeks 😁 on the back of a great win - and appreciate that we have a squad that is well put together, who aren’t all over 30 or under 21, that aren’t all freebies or loans, ex-Rotherham or whatever else. 🐏 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Or he could play Jacko up front, and Harness outwide this squad now has more options, Jacko best role is outwide, but for a game or 2, he would be fine, he has the pace and effort to keep the centre backs on there toes. Then bring Brown on for the last 25 mins when there centre backs are knacked, after running after Jacko all game. 

19 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

Or he could play Jacko up front, and Harness outwide this squad now has more options, Jacko best role is outwide, but for a game or 2, he would be fine, he has the pace and effort to keep the centre backs on there toes. Then bring Brown on for the last 25 mins when there centre backs are knacked, after running after Jacko all game. 

That's what I think we'd do if and when Yates is unavailable. It's not ideal of course but Jackson could do a similar job in the short term and it frees up a place for Harness.

Edited by Carnero

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I agree about most of what you've said. The other tricky element is that not only is Phillips very likely the best cb we have now, he could well be the best player we have access to full stop. Sooner or later you likely have to make a hard decision somewhere to get him in the team either as part of a 3 or dropping Cashin or Nelson. I suspect if we stick with a back 4 it'll ultimately be Nelson making way but it feels extremely harsh.

Did I hear on the radio though that Nat can play left back in a back 4?

Left back would be a weakness on paper. Elder probably had his best game for us yesterday, but I reckon he could be the one to make way.

Then we play a more attacking RB than Nyambe, and we can have a very flexible formation, switching from 4 at the back when out of possession to 3 at the back when in possession.

Edited by therealhantsram

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

Did I hear on the radio though that Nat can play left back in a back 4?

Left back would be a weakness on paper. Elder probably had his best for us yesterday, but I reckon he could be the one to make way.

Then we play a more attacking RB than Nyambe, and we can have a very flexible formation, switching from 4 at the back when out of possession to 3 at the back when in possession.

I'm not sure about that, I think the radio must have mistaken? From the handful of times I've seen him he's a big centre half who may be able to fill in at right back if necessary (a la Nelson) rather than a player you'd want to play there on a regular basis.

13 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I expect Nat Phillips to be deployed as the ball carrying centre back which allows Ozoh to be pushed further forward.

He's very much a head it and kick it CB, rather than a carrier. He's superb in the air, gets his body on the line, tackles a lot and wins the majority of his duels. But he doesn't carry the ball well at all or he's not a great passer, hence Celtic fans thought he was rubbish.

image.thumb.png.ad5029dce2b9d1d408070bfda1cba909.png

25 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

He's very much a head it and kick it CB, rather than a carrier. He's superb in the air, gets his body on the line, tackles a lot and wins the majority of his duels. But he doesn't carry the ball well at all or he's not a great passer, hence Celtic fans thought he was rubbish.

Probably a tad harsh calling him a bad passer due to Cardiff's style of play.

Screenshot_20240905_205408_Chrome.jpg.c034606f0c0a8af36eaafcebe7fac0d1.jpg

Screenshot_20240905_205517_Chrome.jpg.06cd1d4e609041c8e2aa81724c60e36e.jpg

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Then my expectations are dashed and he's a rubbish signing.

Boooo..... Warne out.