Exeter City V Derby County: player ratings

Ellafella

RTV......well done to all that travelled....incredible support

1Wildsmith 6.5......oozes calm. Don't think there's actually too much between him and Vickers in terms of quality but JW just seems less jittery

2Wilson 7........a very good game......not sure if it was him getting a rollicking off Hourihane when they hit the post..if so, close to a bit of deja vu from Saturday

35Nelson 7.5.......the 'highlight' has a bit of confusion with Adams in the second half......only thing he did wrong

6Cashin 7.......good performance apart from losing his bearings when he got booked. Nelson kept the card to a yellow

23Ward 6......no time

20Elder 7.5.......played well - with no-one to play with first half down the left. Seems a lot less hesitant and wanting to contribute going forward. Decent shot, not a worldie, but a positive sign that confidence is coming

8Bird 7.5.....He's wasted as a 10 but when he drops from 10 to CAM he's excellent. Tremendous goal...9 out of 10 players would have gone down with that sleeve tug but kept his composure

32Adams 8.....midfield Hoover. Would probably have been a 9 if the ref hadn't clipped his wings with a harsh yellow. Needs to stop getting assaulted by opposition players and incurring the wrath of referees. Two games in a row. Schoolboy error.

17Sibley 6.5.....lively and sensible with the ball 

4Hourihane 6.....much better in a 3. Won the ball in midfield for the first goal. He seems to be the one who encourages and cajoles team mates and I like the fact that he's quietly in the ref's ear a lot of the time.

12Smith 6.......good to see him back and looking nippy

11Méndez-Laing 8.......loved the goal, loved the pass to Barks for the 3rd even more. Worked hard in both halves.

5Bradley 6.5.....solid...coming good. Not quite pick any 2 from 3 yet but an able deputy for Cash and Nelson

9Collins 7.......I was going to give him a 1 or 10 but then I realised this is an objective match ratings forum and not somewhere to bear grudges or worship your heroes, so it's a solid 7 for the hardest working team player at the club who worked incredibly hard last night and contributed to an excellent win.

27Blackett-Taylor 4.5.......this isn't a grudge, despite me scoring him with low figures previously. He just wasn't very good. the best thing I could say is that he helped me improve my grasp of the english language via the dis/uninterested debate on the match thread. I genuinely hope he comes good......like Wilson, Elder and Bradley

7Barkhuizen 7.5......instantly added zip as he generally does. Goal was a bonus - the upping of intensity and making the front 3 look like a cohesive attacking unit changed the game so we were a constant threat second half.

Overall, a very decent performance with a welcome mixture of different attacks - much more on the floor, much more through the middle.....but with some long balls and crosses. Thought Exeter were decent....if they hadn't faffed around and delayed shooting on several occasions it could have been a different story.

and........hands up.....I questioned the Nyambe sub on Saturday

9 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

what positive contribution did he have this game?

I'd prefer to go with the vast majority of posters (some at the game where over 90 minutes you get a wider perspective of what's happening in various areas of the pitch rather than just the tv camera view).

Collins averages over 6 for last nights' match from entries to date which I understand suggests an ok performance (not brilliant but not poor either) - you score him a 4 which says it all for me. Out of interest, were you at the game?

RAMSTV

1Wildsmith 6.5

2Wilson 6.5

35Nelson 7

6Cashin 7

23Ward 6

20Elder 7.5 

8Bird 7.5

32Adams 7.5

17Sibley 7

4Hourihane 5.5

12Smith 5.5

11Méndez-Laing 7

5Bradley 7

9Collins 5

27Blackett-Taylor 3  Not an auspicious start to his Rams career but I'm not writing him off. Does he need a rest from playing to get fit?

7Barkhuizen 7

Edited by MadAmster

RAMSTV

1Wildsmith 8

2Wilson 6.5

35Nelson 8

6Cashin 8

23Ward 6

20Elder 8

8Bird 8

32Adams 9…knocked off a point for the booking, added 3 points for his fist pump reaction after blocking that goal bound shot! 😁

17Sibley 6

4Hourihane 7

12Smith 6

11Méndez-Laing 7.5

5Bradley 7

9Collins 6

27Blackett-Taylor 5

7Barkhuizen 7

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

See @Comrade 86 excellent assessment above.

his entire assessment can be summarised by saying he ran round pressing a lot. Is that really worthy of a 7.5/10 ?

FYI - established analytical sites such as sofascore (which people have used to defend him previously), had him as our worst performing player too.

only 50% accurate passes,

only 40% ground duels won,

only 33% aerial duels won,

lost possesion 12 times,

4 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'd prefer to go with the vast majority of posters (some at the game where over 90 minutes you get a wider perspective of what's happening in various areas of the pitch rather than just the tv camera view).

Collins averages over 6 for last nights' match from entries to date which I understand suggests an ok performance (not brilliant but not poor either) - you score him a 4 which says it all for me. Out of interest, were you at the game?

yes.

i gave him the 4 for the work rate he put in. How can you score him any higher than that when he didn't actually contribute anything else?

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

his entire assessment can be summarised by saying he ran round pressing a lot. Is that really worthy of a 7.5/10 ?

FYI - established analytical sites such as sofascore (which people have used to defend him previously), had him as our worst performing player too.

only 50% accurate passes,

only 40% ground duels won,

only 33% aerial duels won,

lost possesion 12 times,

I gave him 7.0, as per @Ellafellarating, but @Comrade 86description was fitting IMO. He had close attention from 2 defenders at all times and took an absolute pounding at times with no protection from the referee. I was amazed he lasted 90 minutes, but with no other forward on the bench, he had to stay out there and did a good job for me.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I gave him 7.0, as per @Ellafellarating, but @Comrade 86description was fitting IMO. He had close attention from 2 defenders at all times and took an absolute pounding at times with no protection from the referee. I was amazed he lasted 90 minutes, but with no other forward on the bench, he had to stay out there and did a good job for me.

Also, his closing down is the reason Exeter players hurry a pass or mis-hit the ball allowing us to regain possession on numerous occasions. 

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

if we're counting then there's at least 3 others that only gave him a 5 so i'm not the only one that didn't think much of his performance.

Despite being a target man, he lost most of his headers and duels. On the rare occasion he did hold the ball up, 50% of the time he missplaced his pass. I understand we have no one else fit at the moment, so he'll have to carry on playing. I just don't see how that performance warrants anything above a 5

56 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

if we're counting then there's at least 3 others that only gave him a 5 so i'm not the only one that didn't think much of his performance.

Despite being a target man, he lost most of his headers and duels. On the rare occasion he did hold the ball up, 50% of the time he missplaced his pass. I understand we have no one else fit at the moment, so he'll have to carry on playing. I just don't see how that performance warrants anything above a 5

I never seen a fan hate a player so much, a question for you have you ever played the game, or coached, his work rate off the ball last night was excellent, and he was a handful for there defence, but I can see whatever Collins did, would never be good enough for you, last time i have a conversation with you about Collins, as you bore me. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

18 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:
19 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

You've really got a downer on Collins haven't you. 

what positive contribution did he have this game?

I was at the match, he did loads of tracking back and chasing down. Never gave their back line including the keeper time on the ball. Create space for others, I think this game saw what he does off the ball that made his team mates lap up the freedom they got. And there was a few fouls on him that the ref never gave that were stonewall bad tackles.

On 13/02/2024 at 21:47, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

1Wildsmith 6 mostly unemployed 

2Wilson 7 defended well, flashes of magic 

35Nelson 7.5 totally dominant 

6Cashin 7 defended well

23Ward 6

20Elder 7.5 best performance so far

8Bird 7.5 going to miss you Max

32Adams 8.5 he was everywhere , brilliant performance 

17Sibley 6

4Hourihane 6.5 did his job quietly and effectively 

12Smith 6 worked hard when he came on

11Méndez-Laing 7.5 gave his marker a torrid evening