Colin Todd - a true legend

IslandExile

19 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Great gesture from a great player

I seem to remember reading a post by @loweman2 a few years back saying that Todd had little to do with the club much to his regret, so am particularly pleased to see this today. Given David Clowes is very passionate about our history, hopefully we'll see some of the other 70s heroes in & around PP a bit more.

4 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Great gesture from a great player

I seem to remember reading a post by @loweman2 a few years back saying that Todd had little to do with the club much to his regret, so am particularly pleased to see this today. Given David Clowes is very passionate about our history, hopefully we'll see some of the other 70s heroes in & around PP a bit more.

King Kevin being one if he can be persuaded 🤞🏼

To lose Roy McFarland the best defender, maybe even footballer, the club has ever had and the best in England at the time, for all but the last four games of the season in 74-75, for Derby still to win the top division, Colin Todd - who was himself second only to Roy Mac - had to further step up.

He did. He was superb.

That's no insult to Ticker Daniel who also rose to the challenge.

But Colin Todd was immense.

Recognised by his fellow professionals with the PFA player of the year award.

Captain of Sunderland at 19. His signing dominated the local headlines even in the face of mass layoffs at RR.

Fast, great in the air considering his size, read the game so well and the cleanest tackler you'd ever see. A true great. Ram 🐏

Edited by IslandExile

We sold Todd to Everton when he was about 30 for £300k (please excuse if wrong, all from memory). At the time it was a big fee, I think the British transfer record was likely Steve Daley at £1.5m. They asked BIll Shankley if he would pay £300k for a 30 year old defender and he replied no, if it was Colin Todd he would pay double that.

I know there are a lot of Roy Mac fanboys (and girls) out there - and rightly so. But Todd was immense.

23 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

We sold Todd to Everton when he was about 30 for £300k (please excuse if wrong, all from memory). At the time it was a big fee, I think the British transfer record was likely Steve Daley at £1.5m. They asked BIll Shankley if he would pay £300k for a 30 year old defender and he replied no, if it was Colin Todd he would pay double that.

I know there are a lot of Roy Mac fanboys (and girls) out there - and rightly so. But Todd was immense.

If I recall correctly Think CT asked for the transfer as he needed cash to pay off a debt (poss gambling ) . I could of course be totally wrong and have onset oldtimers 

• 2 weeks later...