How good is our squad?

CongletonRam

10 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It’s not me that’s criticising our squad .

He is an attacking midfielder .

I don’t watch Oxford but it’s common knowledge they have a good squad. 

I didn't specifically say you were criticising our squad but you were putting these names forward as players you'd swap for our players.

According to their own website he's described as a forward not a midfielder and whilst results suggest they have a better squad (or their squad is playing better together), I'm just genuinely curious as to how you came up with individual names especially when, like myself, you don't watch Oxford.

To put it another way, in what way is Bodin for example, better than our current forwards/attacking midfield?

Edited by Tamworthram

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Harris was the one that was coming till a offer came in from Oxford we couldn't match rather than wouldn't. This resulted a bigger pocket being available and we have brought in a few since..  I can't honestly comment on his attributes other than he looked a decent player at this level when he played us. 

A player who, when we were linked, had many people scratching their heads as to why we'd want an attacker with so little end product to their play.

That's the thing isn't it, these players are being bigged up because they're performing well in a team which isn't Derby, but had we signed them ourselves many people (in some cases most) would probably be at least a little underwhelmed at the prospect of seeing them line up for us.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

A player who, when we were linked, had many people scratching their heads as to why we'd want an attacker with so little end product to their play.

As I said, don't know much about him but he looks handy at this level if his game against us is the norm.  I'd take him over Wash as he can control a ball and has potential resale.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

As I said, don't know much about him but he looks handy at this level if his game against us is the norm.  I'd take him over Wash as he can control a ball and has potential resale.

Well, elbowy! (Didn't he play for us in the relegation season?)

Screenshot_2023-10-18-12-34-00-706_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.1e9b1e6b5c57ad859d114eae4e78e1bd.jpg

I'm not sure games against us is the norm tbh, especially not at the stage we were leaving so many massive gaps in defence.

Edited by Kokosnuss

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I didn't specifically say you were criticising our squad but you were putting these names forward as players you'd swap for our players.

According to their own website he's described as a forward not a midfielder and whilst results suggest they have a better squad (or their squad is playing better together), I'm just genuinely curious as to how you came up with individual names especially when, like myself, you don't watch Oxford.

To put it another way, in what way is Bodin for example, better than our current forwards/attacking midfield?

Well I gave  4 and Bodin is probably only on a par with our players.  
It’s all relative as for instance whose better Rashford or Saka !

19 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

Not a fan of that rhetoric. If you're going to make claims with specifics like ''top 3'', you need some empirical data to back that up. The 3 relegated clubs may have retained players whose wages exceed ours- I don't know, but that's the point. Attempting to use an unqualified claim like that as a stick to beat Warne with isn't a great look...

Also in your final paragraph earlier- why is Warne the singular factor in whether a player decides to join? Money could be a factor ie. the rumoured Rhodes incident. There's so many factors outside Warne's control, why are you linking everything back to him? Stating ''it still ultimately falls back on Warne'' is untrue, and just reduces the credibility of your overall argument because it just appears reductionist. 

Ultimately it falls back on Warne. Managers getting the chop are far more common than heads of recruitment leaving.

Warne may have been as frustrated as us by the window. But as fans and fans of a 'big' club in league 1 our recruitment in the frontline was uninspiring. 

I'd also say that Warne's 'must be a nice guy' test for players could be limiting the pot for recruitment. Personally i don't care if Adolf gets resurrected if he hits 25 goals for us. 

55 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Same genuine question I asked Curtains, how many full Oxford games have you seen to come up with these names?

2. Not a massive sample size but had a quick look at the Opta stats also, and considered age/potential and our depth in their respective positions.

It's a decent question, but one I would also direct at the initial post that dismissed Oxford's squad offhand...

19 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

2. Not a massive sample size but had a quick look at the Opta stats also, and considered age/potential and our depth in their respective positions.

It's a decent question, but one I would also direct at the initial post that dismissed Oxford's squad offhand...

So who would they play instead of? Are you saying they didn't come here because we have better players already in their positions?

Edited by RoyMac5

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

R. RODRIGUES

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

CAMERON BRANNAGAN

Mark Harris

Billy Bodin

It’s not me that’s criticising our squad .

He is an attacking midfielder .

I don’t watch Oxford but it’s common knowledge they have a good squad. 

Wow

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So who would they play instead of? Are you saying they didn't come here because we have better players already in their positions?

The initial question was from Sage . I suggest he thinks only 2 or 3 are better.  He may be right but what’s the point.  Warnes recruitment or getting more out of our squad or style of play etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd take him above Washington. Who isn't in our team.

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The initial question was from Sage . I suggest he thinks only 2 or 3 are better.  He may be right but what’s the point.  Warnes recruitment or getting more out of our squad or style of play etc etc. 

In response to someone saying Oxford's budget was 'eye-watering' and by implication comparable or bigger than ours.

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Dunno, I lost track of who was good enough for League 1 and who wasn't ages ago!