Beckham Documentary on Netflix

Day

I enjoyed it, probably because I'm similar age to Beckham & it triggers memories from that era and not just from football. The treatment he received from that sending off was just toxic. I was more annoyed with Batty & Ince. 

Just watched the 2nd episode, all about the abuse he got in the 98/99 season, showing crowds booing, and there was a short clip of our 1-1 draw with them at home, I was at that game!

I just remember Jordi Cruyff equalising in front of the North Stand very late where I was sat with my Junior Rams membership at the time!

What the documentary did show was just how incredibly hard he worked at improving his game as a kid. Absolutely no other interests outside of football whatsoever and a sheer bloody mindedness to make it in the game.

I admire the guy now more than ever, and the same goes for his wife, Victoria.

The documentary left no stone unturned. Even the alleged affair, which Beckham neither admitted nor denied. My take on that was that it was purely press tittle tattle and Beckham didn't want to deny it, as he shouldn't have to and had he done, in some ways would have sunk to their level.

Gary Neville also came out of it well, admitting that his career wouldn't have been what it was if not for Becks.

It's a must watch for any Utd fan.

Edited by CongletonRam

On 06/10/2023 at 09:38, Wolfie said:

Are they so skint that they have to do this?.

I'm about as likely to watch this as I am any of the Harry & Megan self promotion crap.

(i.e. not very)

On 09/10/2023 at 19:25, Yoxoram said:

The likelihood of me watching this is somewhere between nil and zero.

each to their own, but as football fans, and I believe English men (apologies if incorrect), I think it's a great watch. It's certainly not self-promoting. There are many things that you cannot imagine. Like reporters asking Brooklyn, when about 4 years old, if his dad was having an affair and stuff. The press are scum. The reaction after 1998 red card was shocking. I forgot about how bad that was. 

He comes out of it with a lot more love and respect from me. Not that he cares. The way Real Madrid and Capello treated him was disgusting and disrespectful, but the way he conducted himself throughout it speaks volumes.

Seriously, give it a watch. Just so you aren't one of those weird people who dismiss something they know nothing about.

ON documentaries, the Ricky Hatton one is good too, as is the Bryan Robson one. If you can find them.

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

each to their own, but as football fans, and I believe English men (apologies if incorrect), I think it's a great watch. It's certainly not self-promoting. There are many things that you cannot imagine. Like reporters asking Brooklyn, when about 4 years old, if his dad was having an affair and stuff. The press are scum. The reaction after 1998 red card was shocking. I forgot about how bad that was. 

He comes out of it with a lot more love and respect from me. Not that he cares. The way Real Madrid and Capello treated him was disgusting and disrespectful, but the way he conducted himself throughout it speaks volumes.

Seriously, give it a watch. Just so you aren't one of those weird people who dismiss something they know nothing about.

ON documentaries, the Ricky Hatton one is good too, as is the Bryan Robson one. If you can find them.

Of course it's self-promoting.

Are they doing it for free?. Of course not.

Is it presenting them in a positive way?. Of course it is or why agree to do it.

If that makes me "one of those weird people who dismiss something they know nothing about", then I can live with that.

No wonder you seem to swallow every conspiracy nutjob theory you come across on Youtube. Do you never question people's motivations or at least follow where the money is going?

I really enjoyed this.  His work ethic and resilience is superb.  You forget how badly he was treated by the media after the ‘98 World Cup. Getting booed at every away ground for a whole season must have been horrendous.

I didn’t realise how he was treated by Capello at Real Madrid.  To be told to train on your own and still turn up on time, every day, without fail takes some character.  Then get back in the team and win the league.  Compare that with Ronaldo who at Man Utd last season.  Totally different class.

On 17/10/2023 at 08:57, Mostyn6 said:

I really enjoyed it, but it absolutely is self promoting and extremely PR conscious.