Let’s assume we stick with the 3-back, what are you changing other than formation?

Waghorny

Let’s assume Warne sticks it out, which scares me…. what players are you changing?

For me:

Wildsmith (GK)

Forsyth (LCB)

Cashin (CB)

Bradley / Nelson (RCB)

Elder (LWB)

Ward / Wilson (RWB

Hourihane / Bird (CM)

Smith / Thommo (CM)

Waghorn (LW)

Collins (ST)

Mendez / Sibley (RW)

3-4-3, but moving into the 3-5-2 when Sibley is back to play the free Number 10 role,

Im convinced that if we’re insisting on the system, Hourihane and Bird cannot play together, but they’re both almost undroppable, bit of a paradox.

What would you change?

Just now, Waghorny said:

Let’s assume Warne sticks it out, which scares me…. what players are you changing?

For me:

Wildsmith (GK)

Forsyth (LCB)

Cashin (CB)

Bradley / Nelson (RCB)

Elder (LWB)

Ward / Wilson (RWB

Hourihane / Bird (CM)

Smith / Thommo (CM)

Waghorn (LW)

Collins (ST)

Mendez / Sibley (RW)

3-4-3, but moving into the 3-5-2 when Sibley is back to play the free Number 10 role,

Im convinced that if we’re insisting on the system, Hourihane and Bird cannot play together, but they’re both almost undroppable, bit of a paradox.

What would you change?

The 3 at the back formation!

9 hours ago, Waghorny said:

For me:

Wildsmith (GK)

Forsyth (LCB)

Cashin (CB)

Bradley / Nelson (RCB)

Elder (LWB)

Ward / Wilson (RWB

Hourihane / Bird (CM)

Smith / Thommo (CM)

Waghorn (LW)

Collins (ST)

Mendez / Sibley (RW)

What would you change?

you can literally play anyone you want, in that system with those tactics it won't work. Even prime cristiano ronaldo would struggle to score in this team. 

13 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

i'm more concerned about our one dimensional, completely predictable, blunt attack than who's marking who from set pieces

Who mentioned set pieces? Not me. Oxford's 2 goals came from open play and in both cases, Harris was given the freedom of Pride Park. Knowing how good a striker he is, surely, at least one someone should have kept an eye on where he was? First goal. Poor pass out from Nelson, picked by an oxford player who advance 25 yards with the ball and no defender attempts to get within 5 yards of him. They all back off. Harris enters the box to the right of the middle, we had 4 or 5 defenders all moving left (from the attacking perspective). They ignored Harris completely. 2nd, they attack down the right, player cuts inside, plays a pass (not a good one), a teammate gets an outstretched foot to it and, IMO inadvertently, nudges it into the path of Harris who has been slowly ambling in, unmarked, and puts it just inside the right hand post. Again, the box full of white shirts but none of them on a man or watching the movement of opposition players and certainly not taking action to remedy any possible problems, like a shot, arising from the situation. 

Perhaps we’re overthinking the formation stuff

“Whether it is 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, the numbers game is not the beautiful game in my opinion. It's 10% about the formation and 90% about the players. If you have the best ones and they do their jobs, then they can pretty much play any way you want them to” Redknapp

"adjustments when they occasionally got themselves out of position, which is easy to do in the heat of the moment. I'd emphasise the need to keep the ball and pass it forward whenever possible." It sounds simple – it was simple. Clough 

"Telling them how to play took no time… To [John] O'Hare it was: 'Hold the ball no matter how hard they whack you.' To [Kevin] Hector: 'Watch O'Hare. You've got to be ready when he slips that ball to you.' And to [Alan] Hinton we didn't say any more than: 'Stay wide“ Taylor

I think I’m a believer in this. Derby are conceding from shocking mistakes which they could make in any system. Our attacking play isn’t very good- I think they’re rusty and, I like Collins, but he’s not very good outside the six yard box is he? When he’s the fulcrum of any attacks down the centre, we’re not going to create a lot.  I’ll grant wing backs look isolated when we go forward and that might be down to formation 

15 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Who mentioned set pieces? Not me. Oxford's 2 goals came from open play and in both cases, Harris was given the freedom of Pride Park. Knowing how good a striker he is, surely, at least one someone should have kept an eye on where he was? First goal. Poor pass out from Nelson, picked by an oxford player who advance 25 yards with the ball and no defender attempts to get within 5 yards of him. They all back off. Harris enters the box to the right of the middle, we had 4 or 5 defenders all moving left (from the attacking perspective). They ignored Harris completely. 2nd, they attack down the right, player cuts inside, plays a pass (not a good one), a teammate gets an outstretched foot to it and, IMO inadvertently, nudges it into the path of Harris who has been slowly ambling in, unmarked, and puts it just inside the right hand post. Again, the box full of white shirts but none of them on a man or watching the movement of opposition players and certainly not taking action to remedy any possible problems, like a shot, arising from the situation. 

Perhaps our defenders read the Transfer section on this forum when we were linked with him earlier in the Summer. Lots of dismissals and quoting of his unflattering career stats. That's twice I've seen him at Pride Park now, and twice that he has impressed to some degree (the first being v Cardiff in 21/22 when he didn't score but gave Davies & Cashin a tough time for the full 90 minutes. He's a nasty little git too which is never a bad thing to have in your side.

Edited by Carnero

On 16/08/2023 at 11:30, Waghorny said:

For me:

Wildsmith (GK)

Forsyth (LCB)

Cashin (CB)

Bradley / Nelson (RCB)

Elder (LWB)

Ward / Wilson (RWB

Hourihane / Bird (CM)

Smith / Thommo (CM)

Waghorn (LW)

Collins (ST)

Mendez / Sibley (RW)

What would you change?

I think Warne and the newer players have to be given a chance but early signs aren’t good.

If it’s still not working then I’d say give youth a real chance.

Extreme example but:

Wildsmith

Bardell.       Nelson.   Forsyth.     Sibley 

Wilson.       Thompson Rooney.  NML

Washington Waghorn 

doesn’t seem much worse than we have currently. I know we have other young players but in my opinion they’re not quite ready yet but by all means introduce them from the bench.

My team assumes Bird and Cashin will depart.

I’m very much hoping we might get a young player or two from the loan market who bring additional pace to our midfield and forward line.

Can’t see the point of journeymen starting if they don’t add to the quality of the team.