New laptop specs?

RoyMac5

1 hour ago, David said:

9 years for a Windows laptop will get you in the Guinness book of records, drop them an email with your receipt! Congrats  

I brought a new W10 ThinkPad in December 2017 and its still working perfectly (business use). Although I do sometimes have to delete some of the crap that gets installed during an update.

It replaced a Fujitsu Windows XP laptop that was new in 2006. The one before that I can't remember, but it ran Windows 98 and before that a second-hand Compaq 386 laptop running both DOS and Windows 3.1

I always buy the most expensive laptop I can when I replace them. I'm hoping the current one will see me out!

1 minute ago, Grumpy Git said:

I brought a new W10 ThinkPad in December 2017 and its still working perfectly (business use). Although I do sometimes have to delete some of the crap that gets installed during an update.

It replaced a Fujitsu Windows XP laptop that was new in 2006. The one before that I can't remember, but it ran Windows 98 and before that a second-hand Compaq 386 laptop running both DOS and Windows 3.1

I always buy the most expensive laptop I can when I replace them. I'm hoping the current one will see me out!

All I think is when I read this, you've probably spent more times sat watching windows updates as I have sat on the toilet in my life!

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I've got a Toshiba T1200 from the late 80s that only ran DOS....

spacer.png

We used to use it for remote support back in the day. I rescued it from a skip at work when they finally moved into the 90s and provided us with a laptop - I found it in the loft a couple of years ago and it still boots up - should probably be in a museum....

22 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

spacer.png

We used to use it for remote support back in the day. I rescued it from a skip at work when they finally moved into the 90s and provided us with a laptop - I found it in the loft a couple of years ago and it still boots up - should probably be in a museum....

I've still got my Compaq, not sure when I booted it last though. I used to use Lotus 123 (for Windows) for my spreadsheets back then.

48 minutes ago, David said:

All I think is when I read this, you've probably spent more times sat watching windows updates as I have sat on the toilet in my life!

Nope, just let it do its thing when I'm done for the day and an update is pending.

I used an iPhone for a few months last year, (after smashing my Samsung). I had to buy a new Samsung before I turned into an axe wielding psychopath.

Edited by Grumpy Git

33 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

spacer.png

Sounds like you should give cash in the attic a call, get you on!

On 12/08/2023 at 18:09, RoyMac5 said:

Just had my old (5 yrs ish) Windows 10 laptop crash a couple of times because of overheating. Not sure why, there’s no heavy load when I check in task manager.

Anyway I guess it’s time for a new laptop. I have never used Windows 11 so am unsure as to the spec needed. No gaming will be done 😄 so will 8gb be enough memory and will I need video memory?

Elsewhere you ask about browsers. I use Brave a fair amount (though it doesn't allow emojis on dcfcfans!). If you cast, then retaining Chrome for some applications is obviously a must. I think 8GB is fine as a lower limit for memory. Don't think you'll need video memory unless you're a gamer.

You never regret making a backup. If you're beginning to experience problems, I'd make sure you have everything on an external hard drive in case the worst happens. Yes the cloud's convenient, but also a hacker's paradise. Keep it local. 

I've had a couple of high-spec Lenovo Yoga's for the amazing soundbar, but the more recent one is weird and takes a few seconds to boot, a bit like those old spinning hard drives used to, so I'll possibly move to a Surface laptop next. Very pricey for the spec, but lovely build quality. Though I actually wish I had the time and energy to move myself over to Linux and away from all this Windows nonsense. 

Good luck!

Just had my old (5 yrs ish) Windows 10 laptop crash a couple of times because of overheating. Not sure why, there’s no heavy load when I check in task manager.

Anyway I guess it’s time for a new laptop. I have never used Windows 11 so am unsure as to the spec needed. No gaming will be done 😄 so will 8gb be enough memory and will I need video memory?

Should be absolutely fine mate, gaming is the main drain on processor and memory 

Was also going to say if its a blue screen crash aka a memory dump it might be a program or hardware fault causing it

if u save anything u need/ thats important and do a reboot to an earlier save point (pre installation of any mew software it might be that causing it

i had that with my windows 10 laptop, turns out the new mempry i put in it was conflicting with the mother board 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Was also going to say if its a blue screen crash aka a memory dump it might be a program or hardware fault causing it

if u save anything u need/ thats important and do a reboot to an earlier save point (pre installation of any mew software it might be that causing it

i had that with my windows 10 laptop, turns out the new mempry i put in it was conflicting with the mother board 

That's exactly what I did. 🙂 Not the memory conflict obvs 😉 

I think the major problem is that I leave it sitting with muliple browers, with multiple tabs open, and although they say they now say they 'sleep' to save resources I don't think it always works. Lots of resource hogging, I've just seen that Insta doesn't sleep and causes 'high useage' reports in Edge. I also checked on the browser(s) settings, as Edge had set itself to use hardware acceleration. 

Anyway I think I'll just have to stop being lazy and instead of swapping between browsers by clicking on the taskbar I will actually have to individually open and close the browsers with them set to 'open with previous tabs on start up' . FFS what is the world coming too! 😵🤣

Edited by RoyMac5