Money

Just now, davenportram said:

Was it not a two year business plan agreed as part of coming out of administration?

Yes, though allegedly relaxed a little this summer. I think people, including me, are frustrated at having by far the biggest income stream and having the smallest squad amongst the top 8 tipped clubs. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

Yes, though allegedly relaxed a little this summer. I think people, including me, are frustrated at having by far the biggest income stream and having the smallest squad amongst the top 8 tipped clubs. 

How much of the business plan relates to the length of contracts and the weekly wage limit, has that changed? Maybe that has as much effect as the size of transfer fee and agents fee?

12 minutes ago, sage said:

Ah, but I bet you want a Cat 1 Academy too? Not sure how much that takes up of our income stream, but I suspect without it we could buy a good few more first team players on decent wages. I am glad I am not David Clowes. 

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Ah, but I bet you want a Cat 1 Academy too? Not sure how much that takes up of our income stream, but I suspect without it we could buy a good few more first team players on decent wages. I am glad I am not David Clowes. 

It's tricky and I'm not criticising, just frustrated that a) we started the season with one fully fit CF and b) he hasn't resolved the pace issue.  

It's obvious that our budget has to go way beyond just first team wages.

If we don't go up this season, next year we will go all-in s*** or bust mode as we will have no restrictions.

I agree with good business sense but we need to get out of this s*** heap league ASAP 

Edited by Ram a lamb a ding dong

8 hours ago, angieram said:

I think that the investment in new academy players' wages is meant to do just that. 

I just don't think we can afford to do it for players at their next stage of development yet, because they are the ones most in demand and will attract fees that we either can't afford, or are unwilling to pay at this stage of our re-birth.

I suppose it is a matter of degree. I'm certainly encouraged by the investment in academy players (and some are genuinely exciting prospects). I've no problem with bringing in some experienced L1 pros (who will have little or no resale value) to help us get promoted. But yes I would have hoped that we might have invested a little more in younger first team players, with an eye on developing them as both players and assets. As you say we are either unwilling or unable. If it's unwilling then that's a shame: I don't think anyone is talking about a Mel Morris style spending spree. There is surely something less than that, but more than this. 

Edited by vonwright

3 hours ago, sage said:

PW won promotion in his first full season.

Immediately after their relegation so arguably a Championship squad / one that went up the season prior.

He didn't inherit a squad of dads army + academy players, a club pulled apart by mismanagement over many years and with a set of players he didn't sign, entirely unsuited to his style of play.

And he might yet get us promoted in his first full season. 

Apart from that... it's the same. 

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I bet you are, You'd sack yourself Go Ahead Yes GIF