Who is class, I mean a cut above ?

jono

2 hours ago, vonwright said:

Players like Bird and Hourihane had moments where they might look a cut above but neither of them were particularly consistent, or consistently dominated other teams (before he signed I thought Hourihane could do this but maybe misunderstood what he's about).

McGoldrick was the only one who was consistently better than the players around him and therefore the only one I'd describe as a cut above.

Knight is consistent in terms of effort but isn't a particularly dominant player. Maybe he can add that, maybe not.

Knight is one that I am sure has it. But as you imply, why don’t we see the rewards more often ? Work rate, energy, courage, total commitment and a great skill level .. all on the mark in Championship terms. He should be 8-12 goals a season on a routine basis with his skill set. He has enough to be a Lampard of the championship. So is it confidence, team set up up, coaching or the players around him ? I pray we hang on to him and pray that next season is when he truly comes of age. I love Knighty, open the wrapping and he could be a local god rather than just a good lad who pulls his weight

10 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

I don’t disagree but was having this debate this morning, and because it’s a slow week (prem no longer interesting, waiting for play offs, transfer window shut) I’ll offer it here too. 

If a lower level Championship team came in with £250-£400k for Hourihane would you take it?  His wage is small and it could be similar to what we perceive about McGoldrick and there could be better offer financially on the table for him. You get to use the money on a replacement that is arguably better suited to our ends.

That’s not me saying I’d get rid, I just think it’s a potentially interesting dilemma.

No. He'll get 10 and a good few assists next year.  We won't replace that for 250-400k

14 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

For me, it’s his lack of ambition that disappoints.

By that I mean he is content to sit deep and play it simple. He has a range of passing far in excess of many others in League One and can create a lot more chances if he gets forward and takes the occasional risk.

I’d love to see him bossing games more.

I enjoy watching him at his best as he does have class.

Kinda like a reverse Bradley Johnson. He’d try passes far beyond his capability but in being positive he would occasionally run the game.

Can’t be many Derby midfielders to have ran a game at Old Trafford, for example.

3 hours ago, cannable said:

Kinda like a reverse Bradley Johnson. He’d try passes far beyond his capability but in being positive he would occasionally run the game.

Can’t be many Derby midfielders to have ran a game at Old Trafford, for example.

That’s true, but also probably a big reason why MK Dons are a League Two side from next season. 

21 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Sure, disappointing, but MOST disappointing?

I'd personally reserve that for someone who has been objectively awful and has contributed very little.

I get your point, I'm not saying he's the worst - far from it - just really disappointing against what I expected (and likely against what we pay him compared to others - I don't know that btw, just summation).