Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

48 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Then your expectations have been partly met, we are still challenging (limply) for a top 6 spot. 
I get you don’t like Warne’s style, he was getting a tune out of the players earlier in the season and a combination of factors (injury/suspension/form/poor decision making from staff and officials) has seen that falter, so he is capable.
I just think it’s fair to give him time to build his own side to play that style before fully judging him, as frustrating as that may be at times. 

The biggest part of my expectation though was that we’d be improving as the season went on encouraging excitement about next season even if we just fell short. 

48 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

McLaren had a team that was already built, this outfit has been thrown together in one summer with free’s from other clubs. 

Stupid to compare the situations! 

I’m not comparing the situation I’m comparing the impact. A midtable squad elevated to play offs was what McClaren managed. We’re playing worse now than before Warne took over. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would you expect a team made up of youngsters and players approaching retirement to be getting stronger towards the end of the season?

Because I’d expect a manager - a professional no less - to not try and shoe horn a style onto the squad that they’re not capable of. If Pep took over at Rotherham and started demanding tiki taka you’d raise some eyebrows right? You play to the strengths of what is available and as you spend longer with the team on the training ground the patterns of play you’re drilling in to them should become automated hence getting stronger as the season progresses.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Remind us again, what were your expectations for this season 🤔

To be in and around play offs - check

To be able to see the ideas of the manager being developed and becoming second nature on the pitch meaning the performances improve with time - big fat no for me. 

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

To be in and around play offs - check

To be able to see the ideas of the manager being developed and becoming second nature on the pitch meaning the performances improve with time - big fat no for me. 

So you thought we would get better as the season went on despite the thinness of the squad?

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why would you expect a team made up of youngsters and players approaching retirement to be getting stronger towards the end of the season?

Do you just have no expectations at all?

Happy with anything? I don’t get how can be where we were in late jan and be happy with where we are now. Team changes every game, formation doesn’t suit us at all, defensive football but letting in more goals whilst playing it.

Is going so far backwards. Are you genuinely happy with the last 12 games?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So you thought we would get better as the season went on despite the thinness of the squad?

I thought that the management team would improve the squad/implement their ideas more robustly as the season went on. 

let’s not kid ourselves. He’s chosen not to play Thompson, Sibley, barely any minutes for Dobbin/Springett. He brags about wanting a small squad to work with. 

Granted you couldn’t switch all those players in at the same time but there have been opportunities to rest legs and freshen up that he just hasn’t taken. 

1 minute ago, Rich3478 said:

Happy with anything? I don’t get how can be where we were in late jan and be happy with where we are now. Team changes every game, formation doesn’t suit us at all, defensive football but letting in more goals whilst playing it.

Were you happy with the 16 game unbeaten run, 5 or 6 clean sheets in a row 🤔 With the small squad we have we have done pretty well to stay in the play off mix. Under the circumstances even a mid table finish would have been acceptable following the position we were in.

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I thought that the management team would improve the squad/implement their ideas more robustly as the season went on. 

let’s not kid ourselves. He’s chosen not to play Thompson, Sibley, barely any minutes for Dobbin/Springett. He brags about wanting a small squad to work with. 

Granted you couldn’t switch all those players in at the same time but there have been opportunities to rest legs and freshen up that he just hasn’t taken. 

How could Warne improve the squad 🤔

1 hour ago, Leecamp24 said:

This guy is taking us nowhere. 5-4-1 in the second half against Bristol Rovers is absolutely pathetic. Nigel Clough II strap in for years of nothingness with this clown 

As in the match thread though, we've tossed away loads of points this season by NOT settling for a narrow lead, or a point when we really should have by leaving ourselves too open.

If we've changed formation, approach and attempted to nullify the opposition for a spell then that's at least something to take forward and find the right balance, even if it didn't work out today.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Were you happy with the 16 game unbeaten run, 5 or 6 clean sheets in a row 🤔 With the small squad we have we have done pretty well to stay in the play off mix. Under the circumstances even a mid table finish would have been acceptable following the position we were in.

Yeah I loved it! We play a totally different formation now, and totally different defence to then. 

switching back to that eleven or formation seems an absolute no brainer. But warne doesn’t seem to agree

12 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

My expectations were to be in the play offs, I think we are currently one point outside.

No, I don't think we are playing very well, however, looking at the bigger picture I realise that our threadbare squad is made up of youngsters and players in the twilight of their careers and are struggling as the season nears its end.

Do you think Sheff Wed fans are happy with their form? Do you think Peterborough fans were happy to lose to Cambridge and Wycombe fans happy losing to Morecambe?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you think the squad McClaren inherited and our current squad are comparable?

Probably not. But we're not playing in the same league and our squad,.despite restrictions, is perfectly capable of a playoff place with the right management ... however ...  not proving yourself as the right manager in your first season doesn't mean you won't in subsequent seasons.

FFS I just wish more than maybe 5 posters were capable of a BALANCED opinion

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

My expectations were to be in the play offs, I think we are currently one point outside.

No, I don't think we are playing very well, however, looking at the bigger picture I realise that our threadbare squad is made up of youngsters and players in the twilight of their careers and are struggling as the season nears its end.

Do you think Sheff Wed fans are happy with their form? Do you think Peterborough fans were happy to lose to Cambridge and Wycombe fans happy losing to Morecambe?

We are better off at the end of the game than when we started which I would have taken at 3pm 😁