The last 3 years - a precis.....

Bill Curry

4 hours ago, CBRammette said:

This should be pinned as some seem to already be forgetting

There's nothing in that article that any of us doesn't know but it's still grim reading, exacerbated by the facts that the recent horrors are still so raw. But we've had similar crises that threatened our club's future on several occasions in the past 40 years. Each one was horrific, albeit the most recent was probably the worst and certainly the most painful because it was self-inflicted by an owner born and bred in Derbyshire. Usually it has been a person of such ilk who has stepped in to rescue us, as with David Clowes this time around.The extent of the scars you carry depend on how old you are.

We had it in 1981 when Mike Watterson and others stepped in to try to save us. They delayed the inevitable until 1984 when Stuart Webb had to intervene and broker a deal with Robert Maxwell in the toilets of the High Court to avoid liquidation. This led to a successful period of six years under Arthur Cox, backed by Maxwell's ill-gotten gains until the wheels fell off of his band wagon. Dear old Lionel rode to the rescue on that occasion, only to lose the club a decade later to The Three Amigos for a measly £3, as those ghastly individuals embarked upon the road that quite rightly ended for them behind the walls of HM Prisons.

The League of Gentlemen rescued us from their clutches, followed by GSE and then our last benefactor who promised us heaven and took us down the road to hell, we seemed okay until the warning signs started flickering again about three years ago.

On every occasion that we were previously saved, those of us around at the particular time cried out in anguish "Never again." But only a few years later, history continued to repeat itself. Each time we hoped that everyone had learned the errors of the owners ways. But each time the demands for more investment soon rose from much of the fanbase, most notably in the Nigel Clough years when, after the shame of the 11-points season, he had prudently cut the wage bill but at the same time edged us towards the top of the Championship table, until his legs were cut from beneath him. That time, the fanbase seemed split 50/50 about his demise. The 50% against him then gloried in the arrival of the regime that followed GSE; how hollow and misguided their aspirations seem now.

After we conceded the goal at Charlton on Saturday, I could almost not believe the harsh invectives levelled at the direction the club was heading by a group of young men behind us, albeit seemingly drink-fuelled. They had learned nothing from the events of our most recent past. It is incumbent upon the vast majority of the rest of us that this time around such clamours are killed at birth. This time, never again must the follies of the recent past be repeated.

CB Rammette, as usual, proffers succinctly wise words. We must heed them.

COYR

Yet another pile of tripe fuelling the media narrative that Derby County are a bunch of cheats. There’s a lot missing from that piece, such as the fact that our amortisation policy didn’t break any rules, Boro’s vindictive involvement, the EFLs role and many other things we all know about it. It’s lazy journalism in my view as it paints half the picture. Mel Morris is a tosspot though, of that there is no dispute. 

Linked to the other thread about Middlesbrough fans at the service station, one of their fans came over and apologised for the behaviour of the rest of them and we had a grownup conversation until he started calling our previous owner and how good their owner was. I had to cut him off straight away and told him to do some research. 

5 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Won’t be forgotten though.

Neither should it be. I am sure that Derby have a very, very good case for suing the EFL for restriction of trade vis a vis the huge delays, the almost total prevarication about whether the curled one’s vacuous claim for damages was a football debt or not, and that deferring that devision cost us two key players which in turn ensured relegation, when it genuinely could gave bern avoided.

3 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

There's nothing in that article that any of us doesn't know but it's still grim reading, exacerbated by the facts that the recent horrors are still so raw. But we've had similar crises that threatened our club's future on several occasions in the past 40 years. Each one was horrific, albeit the most recent was probably the worst and certainly the most painful because it was self-inflicted by an owner born and bred in Derbyshire. Usually it has been a person of such ilk who has stepped in to rescue us, as with David Clowes this time around.The extent of the scars you carry depend on how old you are.

We had it in 1981 when Mike Watterson and others stepped in to try to save us. They delayed the inevitable until 1984 when Stuart Webb had to intervene and broker a deal with Robert Maxwell in the toilets of the High Court to avoid liquidation. This led to a successful period of six years under Arthur Cox, backed by Maxwell's ill-gotten gains until the wheels fell off of his band wagon. Dear old Lionel rode to the rescue on that occasion, only to lose the club a decade later to The Three Amigos for a measly £3, as those ghastly individuals embarked upon the road that quite rightly ended for them behind the walls of HM Prisons.

The League of Gentlemen rescued us from their clutches, followed by GSE and then our last benefactor who promised us heaven and took us down the road to hell, we seemed okay until the warning signs started flickering again about three years ago.

On every occasion that we were previously saved, those of us around at the particular time cried out in anguish "Never again." But only a few years later, history continued to repeat itself. Each time we hoped that everyone had learned the errors of the owners ways. But each time the demands for more investment soon rose from much of the fanbase, most notably in the Nigel Clough years when, after the shame of the 11-points season, he had prudently cut the wage bill but at the same time edged us towards the top of the Championship table, until his legs were cut from beneath him. That time, the fanbase seemed split 50/50 about his demise. The 50% against him then gloried in the arrival of the regime that followed GSE; how hollow and misguided their aspirations seem now.

After we conceded the goal at Charlton on Saturday, I could almost not believe the harsh invectives levelled at the direction the club was heading by a group of young men behind us, albeit seemingly drink-fuelled. They had learned nothing from the events of our most recent past. It is incumbent upon the vast majority of the rest of us that this time around such clamours are killed at birth. This time, never again must the follies of the recent past be repeated.

CB Rammette, as usual, proffers succinctly wise words. We must heed them.

COYR

Excellent post.  I’ve thought quite a lot about which was worse, particularly between 1984 and 2022 as they’re the closest we’ve come to going bust.  I think it’s 1984 as we were quite literally minutes away from being wound up.  It had also been building from 1976 and the steady decline that followed.  But 2022 does feel worse.  Partly because, like you say, a local owner and “fan” had invested heavily and we all thought he’d never do this.  But I do think social media, etc made us all feel like it was worse.  The constant rumours, tweets, podcasts, demand to be kept informed on an hourly basis added to the worry.  Back in 1984 all we had was Radio Derby and the Derby Evening Telegraph so it was worse in terms of how close liquidation really was but we weren’t exposed to it as much.

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Excellent post.  I’ve thought quite a lot about which was worse, particularly between 1984 and 2022 as they’re the closest we’ve come to going bust.  I think it’s 1984 as we were quite literally minutes away from being wound up.  It had also been building from 1976 and the steady decline that followed.  But 2022 does feel worse.  Partly because, like you say, a local owner and “fan” had invested heavily and we all thought he’d never do this.  But I do think social media, etc made us all feel like it was worse.  The constant rumours, tweets, podcasts, demand to be kept informed on an hourly basis added to the worry.  Back in 1984 all we had was Radio Derby and the Derby Evening Telegraph so it was worse in terms of how close liquidation really was but we weren’t exposed to it as much.

I think the stakes are higher now. The gap between Championship and Premier is enormous. So I think it will be lot harder to climb up again , as we did after 1984... plus we have the restrictions both of FFP and the added penalties imposed by EFL which we didn't get in 1984. So yeah I am in doubt it is worse this time around than it was then. .  

42 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I think the stakes are higher now. The gap between Championship and Premier is enormous. So I think it will be lot harder to climb up again , as we did after 1984... plus we have the restrictions both of FFP and the added penalties imposed by EFL which we didn't get in 1984. So yeah I am in doubt it is worse this time around than it was then. .  

Stakes are definitely higher now than they were then due to the money involved.  And those stakes ultimately led to where we are now.