Crystal Ball predictions

FindernRam

I'm really not intending to be negative but my gut feeling is that we will need some time to get into our stride so I expect a slow start. We have a reasonable squad which has some quality in some areas but there are still some real weaknesses and very limited cover (that is good enough) plus very little playing time together as a first team not just a rotating squad for pre-season. I think we're just going to have to be a bit patient and not over-react if it doesn't all click straight away.

Momentum and a winning habit can be really important, particularly when you want players to buy into what you are trying to do so I really hope for our managers sake that we can get off the mark with wins home and away quickly. I really don't expect promotion this year but hope that we can see something that suggests that we are on the right track and finish the season strongly.

I'd not be surprised if it's a similar season to '95-'96 in terms of there being a big rebuild, a slow start, then it all clicking. Obviously we won't have a 'Stimac' in October (January maybe?), but I don't think we'll smash teams from the outset, and that things will take time.

Edited by IncredibleKoosh

On 26/07/2022 at 11:34, Jubbs said:

Find it really interesting how different some predictions are. So far I've seen:

Fivethirtyeight: 1st
NTTPod: 6th
Betfair/Gabriel Sutton: 15th(!!!)

I'd be happy with play-offs, but 15th is a bold prediction.

Normally I'm a blind optimist but going into the new campaign I feel pre-season foreshadows a missed opportunity. We had the chance for a fresh start but Rosenior has us playing same old, same old, not using our players as he should and setting us up so as not to create chances. As things stand, my prediction would be 12-15th. We will continue to concede crazy goals by a misplaced determination to always play out from the back, but we'll only score rarely because if we beat the press we'll simply turn backwards and invite the press back on, and try to play out from the back again.

A third division team should not be playing short goalkicks across its own six-yard area to their own keeper, with grinning opposition forwards lined up on the edge of the box, waiting to charge. End of.

Its 3 seasons since collins had a decent record of scoring, last seasons 23 matches and 3 goals nothing to shout about.

I hear the press talking about how great 34 year old mcgoldrick is, but he's not going to out score the last few seasons, and i dont think he did that well in those.

In a league where there are a decent amount of players scoring at least 15 goals, where are our goals going to come from.

I wonder where the pace in midfield is going to come from as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers/assists

A number of players creating at least 8 assists in the league one season last year, I wonder who from our current team, will create at least 8 assists.

Sean McConville, did brilliantly last season, creating 17 assists. 

Scott Twine, created 13 assists.

13 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I wonder where the pace in midfield is going to come from as well.

A very good point, we desperately need to get the ball into the last 3rd of the pitch before the oppositions defence gets organised. The passing needs to be quicker  through midfield and we need a runner who is able make the most of the quick, direct passing. We could employ a Chris Martin, target man, type of player who is able to knock down/pass off to a runner.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Normally I'm a blind optimist but going into the new campaign I feel pre-season foreshadows a missed opportunity. We had the chance for a fresh start but Rosenior has us playing same old, same old, not using our players as he should and setting us up so as not to create chances. As things stand, my prediction would be 12-15th. We will continue to concede crazy goals by a misplaced determination to always play out from the back, but we'll only score rarely because if we beat the press we'll simply turn backwards and invite the press back on, and try to play out from the back again.

A third division team should not be playing short goalkicks across its own six-yard area to their own keeper, with grinning opposition forwards lined up on the edge of the box, waiting to charge. End of.

Time will tell, but I don’t particularly think it matters that we are in League One. If you are good enough to play across the back, then you should. League One players out of possession aren’t any quicker, stronger or fitter than Championship players. In fact, they’re probably worse in some of those areas, so we should play to our strengths if that is possession from the back.

Where football in League One is different I think is when you are out of possession. Teams will probably lump it far more in this league and look to win second balls. It’s not a style you see too often in the Championship these days.

At Pride Park we have no excuses. We should absolutely dominate most teams. 

Tom Clarkes League 1 predictions in todays Times.

League One preview: McKenna’s Ipswich have ingredients for promotion push – and can Derby bounce back?

Now, Derby County. A club in chaos still recovering from past seasons, an inexperienced manager in Liam Rosenior and a host of new signings needing to settle. It all screams a season of transition and falling just short of the play-offs. . .

But if (and it’s a big if) Rosenior can harness in a positive way some of the emotion seen when Derby were relegated due to a 21-point deduction, and gel young talents with the likes of David McGoldrick, James Chester, Conor Hourihane, Korey Smith and the captain Curtis Davies, then they could bounce straight back.

Predictions
Automatic promotion Sheffield Wednesday, Derby
Play-offs Ipswich, Peterborough, Portsmouth, MK Dons
Relegation Exeter, Morecambe, Cambridge, Forest Green

………………seems like a nice bloke this Tom Clarke! ?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/league-one-2022-preview-predictions-tips-0hbxc9gzz