Down to earth a little bump

B4ev6is

I am not concerned as this is preseason as laim said we are weeks behind everyone else but what is enjoying we played 3 preseason won 2 and lost one. And only conceared one goal. But I think by the time season kicks off laim will have us up and running and hopeful we shall get opening day win. There always going to bumps in the road we signed a lot of players and understanding takes time.

7 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I am not concerned as this is preseason as laim said we are weeks behind everyone else but what is enjoying we played 3 preseason won 2 and lost one. And only conceared one goal. But I think by the time season kicks off laim will have us up and running and hopeful we shall get opening day win. There always going to bumps in the road we signed a lot of players and understanding takes time.

Absolutely. As was mentioned in the post match interview, it’s not a bad thing it’s happened. I’m sure the players and staff are a little more realistic than us but imagine if we’d won convincingly and then got a decent result against Leicester. Some supporters would be even more convinced that we’re going to win L1 at a canter.

LR will be using these matches to find what doesnt work, just as much as what does work. 

teams will sit back then press. centre midfield is key this year. get that combination right, we win. last night we didnt. i sure LR would have seen this and learned from it. 

personally i think in proper matches he’d go with either biliek/bird/smith/conner with mcG in a number 10. 

harsh on tommo but i feel he gets bullied to easy. still young tho. hopefully he’ll learn

Edited by Ram-a-lama fa fa fa

31 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

LR will be using these matches to find what doesnt work, just as much as what does work. 

teams will sit back then press. centre midfield is key this year. get that combination right, we win. last night we didnt. i sure LR would have seen this and learned from it. 

personally i think in proper matches he’d go with either biliek/bird/smith/conner with mcG in a number 10. 

harsh on tommo but i feel he gets bullied to easy. still young tho. hopefully he’ll learn

Whilst I'm optimistic for the coming season my only concern is whether we do learn and take on board anything from games like this. Last season we had 23 away games to learn and adapt, and final dead rubber against Blackpool aside, we failed miserably to do so and continued to slavishly follow the same tactics even when they were clearly not working. 

6 minutes ago, chezzyram said:

Whilst I'm optimistic for the coming season my only concern is whether we do learn and take on board anything from games like this. Last season we had 23 away games to learn and adapt, and final dead rubber against Blackpool aside, we failed miserably to do so and continued to slavishly follow the same tactics even when they were clearly not working. 

In fairness we had very very very young team with little or no experance first team football and rooney could not field more experance team or even keep a settle team he kepted switching and changing players or kepted switching tactics.

1 hour ago, chezzyram said:

completely agree. hopefully LR will learn and act quicker to change things. i feel this season we’ll need home tactics and away tactics. 

but yeah, our away form last season was a joke

I hope you're right Daniel. Stevenage was a good lesson and, hopefully, both Liam and the players will have realised exactly what the team will be up against this season. We need to keep expectations to a sensible level and realise that our being 2 to 3 weeks behind the rest with pre season might mean an iffy start. No panic if results do go the wrong way. We'll catch up but it could the 3rd week August before we have. COYR!

It was a friendly.  Legitimate to say the result doesn't matter and it was a very hot day. 

But I am more concerned than before.  Nobody mentions that Stevenage barely survived in League 2 last season and the League 1 versions of this style of play are much stronger.  Rotherham (last season), Wycombe, Accrington, Cheltenham and the like are fitter, faster and noted for the dark arts (not employed in friendlies of course) which means the learning curve may be sharper than some of us think.