Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

7 hours ago, Archied said:

Oh dear,,, yes I get the idea , same as I got the idea through covid , chosen experts labelled as THE science with they’re models and predictions that were way way off the scale wrong with any scientist and medical experts who didn’t follow the line being silenced, ridiculed and even receiving  death threats in some cases ,fear fear fear , we are all going to die we are all doomed and when we didn’t the next super strain was just round the corner and comming for us , crisis crisis crisis ,,, yes just look at the crisis that’s been created by this by following these experts ( using them to create and legitimise policy) ,the worlds economy is in the gutter with real people in real crisis so here we go again I’ve already seen you use the same tactic and language, misinformation, deniers , scientific conscientious,

and what’s the strangely consistent result of these fear driven crisis creations / predictions / models ,,, surprise surprise the rich get richer , the poor get poorer and they’re lives , rights , choices are steadily trodden on and they are plunged into real before your eyes undeniable  NOW crisis ,  funny that ??‍♂️
give me a shout when the next pandemic hits ,the one we are told is comming even now

I'm always left wondering what it would actually take to convince you that the threat is something that should be taken very seriously. It's not 'catastrophizing'  to be aware of what basically all the scientific data is telling us.  But if you want to ignore it...then that's your prerogative. 

7 hours ago, Archied said:

As a matter of interest is the Highgate handle any kind of a nod to Karl ?

Nothing at all to do with Karl Marx.  Actually named after a British soldier Thomas Highgate, that I was reading about the time.  Shot by firing squad at the age of 19, because he panicked and hid in a barn during the Battle of the Marne.  Kill or be killed I guess was the doctrine of the day.  WWI , where every army was wrong (in my opinion).  

Posthumously pardoned in 2006 

17 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Steve - you've surpassed yourself! The UK response to the Ukrainian crisis makes us utter heroes in that country. Without the UK, Kiev and Ukraine would have fallen in a couple of days. It was us alone circumventing the EU blockade of weapons (led by Germany) that allowed Ukraine to defend itself and not be overrun. And in the weeks/months after. It is why Boris was always the most-welcomed leader in Kiev and why Ukraine made that speech at Eurovision talking a little about the songs but then saying what matters most is loyalty and friendship and "that's why we're giving 12 points to the UK". Hardly any Ukrainians want to come here - they want to be close to their home country to be able to go back. It shouldn't be for us to take them far away from their homes when we are offering them the most support they receive in other ways, for which they are massively grateful.

You're proving my point though - our heroics in helping the people of Ukraine merely throw light on the question of why we don't treat all refugees the same way? We threw money and hospitality (quite rightly) at those Ukrainians who were displaced by the war. No one was talking about sending them home, or flying them to Rwanda or bleating about the number of safe countries they passed through on their way to the UK.

If it makes me some kind of bad person to think we should treat all those people displaced from their homes as equal - then so be it. I'd rather that than try and excuse the racist policies of my government 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

You're proving my point though - our heroics in helping the people of Ukraine merely throw light on the question of why we don't treat all refugees the same way? We threw money and hospitality (quite rightly) at those Ukrainians who were displaced by the war. No one was talking about sending them home, or flying them to Rwanda or bleating about the number of safe countries they passed through on their way to the UK.

If it makes me some kind of bad person to think we should treat all those people displaced from their homes as equal - then so be it. I'd rather that than try and excuse the racist policies of my government 

I was responding to you writing "The fact remains though that the UKs response to the Ukrainian crisis has been one of the most openly racist policies of my lifetime". So you're saying the UK's response to the Ukrainian crisis is racist because it's so good? If so, that's a somewhat bizarre take.

If you don't think there's a problem with illegal immigration into the UK you haven't been paying attention. Just this year, 1% of the entirety of the Albanian population has arrived in the UK claiming asylum, more than 90% of them young men. These aren't people fleeing oppression; Albania is close to joining the EU. It's all about organized crime, with people-trafficking to the UK making criminals billions of pounds. 

What we probably both want is people genuinely freeing oppression and persecution to be given a new home here, but that won't happen properly/successfully until you stop the flood of illegal immigrants and the vast wealth this is bringing to very bad people, instead clearing the way for the genuine cases.

On 28/10/2022 at 10:53, BaaLocks said:

Just amazing to hear Julia Hartley Brewer in full fast lane climate change denier mode on Question Time last night. Look, I get the point that weather is not climate and one hot summer is not the end of days but, really, to be so utterly dumb as to suggest it just isn't happening is, well, good for the clicks I guess.

Just saw her (whoever she is).  Yeah, couldn't agree with you more.  That was a nonsense salad if I ever heard it.  If she's not a climate denier...then she may as well be. 

6 hours ago, Highgate said:

I'm always left wondering what it would actually take to convince you that the threat is something that should be taken very seriously. It's not 'catastrophizing'  to be aware of what basically all the scientific data is telling us.  But if you want to ignore it...then that's your prerogative. 

Nothing at all to do with Karl Marx.  Actually named after a British soldier Thomas Highgate, that I was reading about the time.  Shot by firing squad at the age of 19, because he panicked and hid in a barn during the Battle of the Marne.  Kill or be killed I guess was the doctrine of the day.  WWI , where every army was wrong (in my opinion).  

Posthumously pardoned in 2006 

And I’m always left wondering why people have a desperate need to find crisis lurking around every corner , something to be bigger than themselves in the here and now , a crusade to be on , a need to convert everybody else , it’s a cult and anybody having a problem with the cult reference can suck it up if they are happy to use the denier , misinformation rhetoric 

apologise for the late reply as I was busy having a great day watching derby with my daughter , we drove there , eat meat ,, very much the kind of things people want to put a stop to , they need to jog on we are not cycling from london to derby on a breakfast of bugs and lettuce 

Edited by Archied

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

And I’m always left wondering why people have a desperate need to find crisis lurking around every corner , something to be bigger than themselves in the here and now , a crusade to be on , a need to convert everybody else , it’s a cult and anybody having a problem with the cult reference can suck it up if they are happy to use the denier , misinformation rhetoric 

apologise for the late reply as I was busy having a great day watching derby with my daughter , we drove there , eat meat ,, very much the kind of things people want to put a stop to , they need to jog on we are not cycling from london to derby on a breakfast of bugs and lettuce 

Believe me, I wish there was no such thing as global warming, it's an inconvenient truth as Gore once aptly said. Of course in the short term, it would make things easier if we were to simply ignore it or wish it away too, but I don't seem to be able to do that. 

Regarding the trip from London to Derby, trains or EV's are more environmentally friendly options, I don't think anybody is expecting people to cycle that journey.  As for eating bugs...there is no way I'm going to do that either and to be honest from a carbon emissions perspective, poultry isn't all that bad, it's beef that's the problem. 

28 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Believe me, I wish there was no such thing as global warming, it's an inconvenient truth as Gore once aptly said. Of course in the short term, it would make things easier if we were to simply ignore it or wish it away too, but I don't seem to be able to do that. 

Regarding the trip from London to Derby, trains or EV's are more environmentally friendly options, I don't think anybody is expecting people to cycle that journey.  As for eating bugs...there is no way I'm going to do that either and to be honest from a carbon emissions perspective, poultry isn't all that bad, it's beef that's the problem. 

When they came for the beefeaters I said nothing , when they came for the lamb eaters I said nothing , when they came for the pork eaters I said nothing , when they came for the poultry eaters there was no one left to stand up for me ,,,, you will do what your told 

An interesting graph in the Museum of London showing the temperature rising and falling over hundreds of thousands of years. Some would claim the periodicity is due to the Milankovitch cycles (though the degree of the effect is hard to explain despite it being a pleasing theory). The key questions is whether the temperature is nearing a similar peak to previous cycles or if it's going to continue to rise...

1526084918_MuseumofLondonclimate.thumb.jpg.c484a3efea4e186603855ae0ae65ec2f.jpg

Officially we're in an interglacial period in the middle of an ice age, which is why there is just so much uncertainty https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interglacial. Earth's climate is just a hugely complex system.

Edited by Carl Sagan

According this article we can learn a lot from Karl Marx about climate change and global warning even though he never mentioned it. ? They know how to spin a yarn granted.

https://www.rs21.org.uk/2019/11/04/extinction-climate-change-and-karl-marx

All I ever learnt from the followers of Marx was it resulted in 150million deaths.

I Wonder if Extinction Rebellion have been infiltrated by Marxists/RS21?

Edited by cstand

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I was responding to you writing "The fact remains though that the UKs response to the Ukrainian crisis has been one of the most openly racist policies of my lifetime". So you're saying the UK's response to the Ukrainian crisis is racist because it's so good? If so, that's a somewhat bizarre take.

If you don't think there's a problem with illegal immigration into the UK you haven't been paying attention. Just this year, 1% of the entirety of the Albanian population has arrived in the UK claiming asylum, more than 90% of them young men. These aren't people fleeing oppression; Albania is close to joining the EU. It's all about organized crime, with people-trafficking to the UK making criminals billions of pounds. 

What we probably both want is people genuinely freeing oppression and persecution to be given a new home here, but that won't happen properly/successfully until you stop the flood of illegal immigrants and the vast wealth this is bringing to very bad people, instead clearing the way for the genuine cases.

130 Child migrants have gone AWOL, Most likely trafficked for illegal purposes while in the UK, There's some naivety where the Albanians are concerned, I know this from 1st hand as someone very close works for the NCA and was involved with the arrest of one of the gang leaders traffickers while he was having a coffee outside a London Cafe.

Feels sorry for the refugees...sure, But where is the money going that these poor folk hand over, Or owe as their families will have taken out loans to repay the gangs, Failing to repay...bang your dead.  

23 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Feels sorry for the refugees...sure, But where is the money going that these poor folk hand over, Or owe as their families will have taken out loans to repay the gangs, Failing to repay...bang your dead.  

Spot on. The lack of empathy for human beings so desperate that they are paying money to gangsters to try and make a dangerous illegal boat crossing is saddening. Albania is a very poor country which has bred these conditions. People living in poverty under a mafia-state underworld. Can any one of us imagine how desperate you must have to be to risk your own life and your families life? Blame the gangsters for exploiting the situation  but don't dehumanise the asylum seekers as somehow being freeloaders and the enemy who must be defeated slash sent to Rwanda as punishment

35 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Spot on. The lack of empathy for human beings so desperate that they are paying money to gangsters to try and make a dangerous illegal boat crossing is saddening. Albania is a very poor country which has bred these conditions. People living in poverty under a mafia-state underworld. Can any one of us imagine how desperate you must have to be to risk your own life and your families life? Blame the gangsters for exploiting the situation  but don't dehumanise the asylum seekers as somehow being freeloaders and the enemy who must be defeated slash sent to Rwanda as punishment

Albania is a poor country by Western European standards, but Albanians come a long way down the list of "deserving" cases for asylum in Britain. The country is now a functioning parliamentary democracy and a Republic. It's always been a clannish society (Albanian blood feuds are notoriously violent) and the Albanian mafia has a significant presence across Europe, including in Britain, but there's no practical or historical reason why Albanians should seek asylum in Britain unlike, say, Iraqis, Afghanis or those from commonwealth countries with oppressive regimes, or indeed others fleeing war zones. They're the dominant ethnic group in Kosovo and if they want to escape Albania, simply have to hop across the mountains. I suspect that the trafficking of people for exploitation in Britain by the Albanian mafia is a significant factor in this, which is another reason why I'd be very cautious about throwing out the Welcome mat carte-blanche. 

October 2022 is ending with highly anomalous warmth across the whole Europe. Temperatures are widely up to +10 degrees higher than normally this time of the year. Felt odd at PP yesterday to be this late into the year in a tshirt and light jacket. Maybe just a freak or maybe due to the climate changing who knows, good for the heating bills though. 

544F7E79-907D-4FE1-AD6B-9620E171BAD3.png

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Rwanda a punishment ? 
Reading this article they have lots of ambitions plans now and for the future. It’s a far better country than people give them credit for.

https://www.warpnews.org/innovation/rwanda-the-singapore-of-africa/

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/opinions/2019/10/21/kagames-rwanda-is-still-africas-most-inspiring-success-story

10 big improvements in Rwanda one of best in gender equality.
https://borgenproject.org/improvements-in-rwanda/

2nd fastest African growing economy in 2021

https://www.visitrwanda.com/basketball-africa-league/basketball-in-rwanda/

Edited by cstand

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Albania is a poor country by Western European standards, but Albanians come a long way down the list of "deserving" cases for asylum in Britain. The country is now a functioning parliamentary democracy and a Republic. It's always been a clannish society (Albanian blood feuds are notoriously violent) and the Albanian mafia has a significant presence across Europe, including in Britain, but there's no practical or historical reason why Albanians should seek asylum in Britain unlike, say, Iraqis, Afghanis or those from commonwealth countries with oppressive regimes, or indeed others fleeing war zones. They're the dominant ethnic group in Kosovo and if they want to escape Albania, simply have to hop across the mountains. I suspect that the trafficking of people for exploitation in Britain by the Albanian mafia is a significant factor in this, which is another reason why I'd be very cautious about throwing out the Welcome mat carte-blanche. 

The sad thing in all this Crewton is a good proportion do not know which Country they are going to, Some are being forced into the boats to cross the channel at gun point, Gangmasters paid, Deliver the person to the UK...as there's a free taxi service, Then a promise of accommodation and food, Then once this is achieved block the legal system up with appeal after appeal against deportation and hope either they can mooch out of the detention centres or get permission to stay, That way the gangs get money 2 fold, Paid at leave then paid at point of work...Albanians persecuting Albanians.